ID:2949535

I’ve been a BYOND player and developer since August 19, 2002. My BYOND key could drink legally in the USA. Humor me as I share with the community what has made BYOND so compelling to me, why I think it has got an incredible potential and is going to be successful at attracting and retaining passionate developers which will make some incredible games.

I'm also going to speak about what I think needs to change for BYOND to be successful.

BYOND as an engine has no peers at what it does. People will reference Godot, Unity, Unreal Engine, and others as real threats to BYOND’s future. Those certainly are great game engines, but they don’t interfere with the niche that BYOND is focused on: accessible multiplayer games.

Other game engines, even with recent improvements require a lot of effort to handle the networking between client and server. This makes Godot a perfectly adequate place for somebody learning to build a singleplayer game, but making a multiplayer game is a nonstarter for somebody like me. Anybody looking to make an online game without investing a huge percent of their development time into the networking elements, are going to find BYOND the best option.

There is also a misconception that BYOND has a seriously limited engine, but with the introduction of pixel movement, particles, planes, transformations, partial multithreading on servers and vectors/pixlocs they have really increased the ceiling of what a BYOND game can do. If you think BYOND is limiting your favorite game, its likely the developer refusing the learn to leverage new features. Very few projects now leverage all of what BYOND can do, or even close.

Due to how easy it is to create a game, launch it online and generate a community of hundreds of players, BYOND has a key advantage: Instant gratification.

You can develop a game while concurrently enjoying a community of fans who will test your code, provide feedback and generally appreciate every feature implemented. This isn't typical in the world of game development, on BYOND you can work on your projects in increments and enjoy the fruit of your labour as you work. I can't replicate this feedback loop elsewhere, my little test projects on Unity didn't garner an audience, everything I've worked on elsewhere just never saw the light of day because the audience and immediate viability just wasn't there.

If you find yourself starting and never finishing several projects, solutions like BYOND make projects digestible enough to be realistic.
As a parent with a busy career and personal life I see huge value in being able to make things in my free time and see it playable, enjoyed immediately. There is a huge audience of interested game developers who would be well suited to this community:

1) Rookie developers who don't know how to make a game and want to learn,

2) Hobby developers who want to prototype or get a game concept into playable form without making it their full time job,

3) Strong developers who just want to make games, and don't want to deal with the overhead of back-end network systems, marketing, web hosting, etc.

We as a community can be very self defeating and negative. There is a reason we have so many long-term developers here, BYOND works very well in the niche its carved out.

Then there is another major consideration. BYOND's ownership is not squeezing the community for every dime its worth. In fact, the development of BYOND is entirely financed by donations and has effectively no mandatory pricing whatsoever. There are no barriers to entry, no revenue sharing or up front costs. You should for these reasons donate to BYOND, unlike developing for Unity where you could spend years making a game and be impacted by some aggressive licensing model fiasco.

The perception of BYOND's success is a bit problematic. Lots of people would assert that BYOND has lost some momentum and from a players perspective, that might has some validity. The number of players has fallen in many communities over the past decade, with the SS13 community going the opposite direction and growing and being an amazing example for BYOND. Players and popular games are a lagging indicator of what drives real growth and success here. The important variable for BYOND prospectively is the growth of Developers. If you build it, they will come.

BYOND hasn't always had the most conducive environment for attracting Developers. Huge influxes of fangame players don't necessarily translate to a fun place to make games. Engine limitations or just clunky problems have been a headwind over the years to making good games. The engine with 516 has reached a level of viability and maturity that's very different from how things were back in 2002.

There has been a very intentional effort to cultivate a more inclusive and supportive space for developers, particularly on the unofficial BYOND discord. I can see this working, the seeds of a positive development culture are taking root and I'm seeing some exceptional talent develop. This approach, to support and create a positive space for developers will work.

If you are a player wondering what the future looks like for BYOND, know that we have the tools to make games that are far better than what you might be familiar with. Expect that the learning curve to make higher end multiplayer games is flattening and passionate community leaders like Ter13, F0lak, Kaiochao and of course Lummox Jr himself are putting in a lot of time to teach, support, make libraries and provide examples so that rising talent will be successful.

If you are considering making a project in BYOND, get on the discord and start. Ask questions, make mistakes, the collaborative culture is at an all time high. The engine is ready for a great game, be ambitious and creative.

What does BYOND need to do differently going forward? There are a few key things:

1. The way people communicate has moved on from the Web 1.0 days. The main signpost for this community which is BYOND.com needs to remove some unnecessary and underutilized baggage. New people coming to this site might think its dead. This is partially how libraries and demos are sorted algorithmically to not prioritize new and relevant/rising innovations but rather the all time most popular items. The game sorting doesn't quite result in the most active and popular games rising to the top as the algorithm again favors an "all time" popularity rather than momentum. The presence of "recent updates" don't reflect the flurry of activity and really, a lot of the community communication should live in Discord where it is most effective. The site needs to become a concise pitch to developers, download link, highlight of role model projects and then access to a more relevant library, demo and games page.

2. We need more outreach to other communities. With a more modern website that has more of a pitch to developers as its initial focus, we can go to game developer subreddits, we can post about BYOND or our projects on YouTube, etc. The merits of this engine are not well broadcast and we all play a part in being cheerleaders for it.

3. Make more games and share them more broadly. There is a lingering problem with creators not understanding copyright and trademark law and the community damage that has come with enforcement of these things. We as a community need to compile some thought leadership on what we can't do legally because rookie developers are not lawyers. There was a huge problem with people misconstruing fair-use laws and bad advice turned into takedowns, demoralization and a loss of broader community engagement. Let's keep making games that take inspiration from our favorite source material, but know what the law is and abide by it in all instances.

The potential of BYOND with the tools we have prospectively, is immense. The culture is better and the support has never been more available.

Lets make games. If anybody wants to show off some of the super cool stuff I see daily in the Discord, especially in the hall of fame - feel free to gloat and post to this entry to help me make my point.

Get on the discord: https://discord.gg/WUetUEVdk4

GOA is rebooting as SOA with a major update and launch in the coming months. I'll do a separate update for that. Largest update in 14 years. https://www.byond.com/games/Masterdan/ShinobiOnlineAdventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vliaMAGpRt0

EDIT:

Good post though. MAKGAM.

Dan, it's been a pleasure having you back. We never interacted back in the day, but god damn it's been great to meet adult you and really vibe on making cool stuff and talking about high level community management. You are a true gentleman and a scholar.

Regarding BYONDiscord:
To address the community work we've been collectively doing over the last two years, and why now is the best time to jump back into BYOND's reformed and matured community:

One of the things that I've been really fixated on with this community, is how much damage we did to one another over the years by forgetting that the forums are a public space, and new users can see everything we post. We forget that not everyone cares about drama that happened 15 years ago. We forget that not everyone is a product of our exact life experiences, and we forget to consider the people who are watching quietly and deciding whether the space they are witnessing is a place they want to put themselves into.

While I've by no means been a perfect ambassador for my community, everything I've done has been focused on creating a positive and inclusive environment where developers can interact safely, without having to trudge through streets swimming in the raw sewage of misogyny, homophobia, racism, and other bigotries that serve as nothing but a distraction from onboarding new users. I've tried to put a stop to the toxic pattern of bullying that this community enabled over time. To ensure that people are aware of who the perpetrators of this are up front before they get involved in a community that will rope them into these toxic patterns. I don't like seeing these communities inviting users into the pattern of dividing their valuable development time engaging in culture war nonsense and the alienation and harassment of new users instead of cultivating real skills and relationships with people that care about what they do.

I'm glad that the consensus that this work has been worth the trouble we went through over the last couple of years is growing. Thank you so much for the recognition and the kind words. You're one of the best folks we've picked up lately, and I am brimming with excitement for what you are about to drop on all of our heads.

Regarding the website:
As for discussing BYOND's problems, I really prefer a solution-oriented, minimalist approach. BYOND's engine and community is now in the best shape it's ever been in. The site, however, doesn't do a very good job of representing that. Let's examine what a minimal, simple solution that we can all achieve today would look like:

• Prominent links to discord on game hubs and software about pages.
    • Unfortunately, we can't quite do this one ourselves, as sticky forum posts in a dead forum are not very prominent.
  • New user onboarding resources
    • We can make these ourselves and feature them. See my section on the tutorials forum in my discord.
  • A better algorithm for game listings and demos and libraries.
    • We cannot do this one ourselves, but we can collectively advocate for specific formulas to determine how games are ranked on the hub, the downloads section, and the demos/libraries sections.
  • De-emphasis and compression of the site to just the essential, trafficked components.
    • We cannot do this one entirely by ourselves, but we can help emphasize the useful parts of the BYOND website in our discord communities.

Discord collaboration:
I've built some tools to help on this front. Gurubot is my discord's everything solution, and it has the ability to create embeds that show your game's live status on the hub, and create links directly to your game. Anyone who contacts me regarding getting a server widget for their game's hub will receive assistance setting it up.

The widget updates every 5 minutes, updating the stats about your game in a discord embed, and setting up clickable play links to your game's servers.

The GuruBot Hub Widget will transition any user that clicks on the widget to a landing page, that might look a bit like this:

Once the user is at this redirect, their pager will be opened after a few seconds, and they will connect to your game.

The redirect page offers users assistance if they don't have BYOND installed, and some information on the data I collect (none!) and how to contact me with questions regarding the service (don't). While it links to BYONDiscord by default, I've released a copy of the hub redirect that is fully customizable. You can host it in your BYOND member files if you are a BYOND subscriber, or on your own website if you own one.

I've also got a live hub monitor that keeps track of all the live games on BYOND's hub, and provides links to their hub pages in BYONDiscord! Games are listed even if they don't have a hub, or are unpublished, so my discord does not make a distinction between fangames or regular games. I have a custom sort for them that is solely based on activity rather than fan metrics.

This allows better user onboarding for the community, and helps to de-emphasize the dated website, while still harnessing the tools Lummox has provided us.

I'm more than willing to share all of these tools with the community, and have shared them with Atomix so he can integrate them in the old BYOND discord.

Onboarding users:
Realistically, we should be doing the work of onboarding users ourselves. Your discord, your rules. We set up a Tutorials and Snippets forum in our discord that allows anyone in the community to post useful resources they have found. I do need to do more on this front; I would really like to set up a few more tools for transitioning newly found discord users to the software by creating a user onboarding resources list in the discord. This would walk users through an overview of what BYOND is, how to install it, and how to get started making a simple game, as well as teaching them which additional tools they have available to them, like the developer reference, the bug reports and feature requests forums, and a curated list of demos and libraries that we, as a community decide are worth using in 2024.

All of this can be done without Lummox's help, and is being worked on by fantastic members in our community. For instance, F0lak has created an open developer reference that anyone with a github account can edit. He's even written a discord bot for quickly searching for and linking to articles in the reference, and he's working on a tool that will convert that open reference back into a compiled html file that Lummox can use to update the actual reference with community examples.

Resource listings:
The current algorithm for resource listing is no longer reflective of the reality of engagement with the site. The resources need a new way of ranking themselves by user engagements. I think for demos/libraries, ranking them by downloads over the last 24 months would be the best way forward. For games though, I think we just need to break the hub listing into two categories: live, and recent plays. Games should rank themselves across a 6 month average of activity. I think the live listing should just be who has the most players in all servers for that game at one time. For games that aren't hosted server-wise, I think recent downloads would also be a fairly good metric for popularity. For those games not distributing themselves through the website, such as via steam or itch, their frontage being dominantly focused on their steam listing would more or less moot their need to be listed highly here.

Call to action:
Look y'all, for years we've asked what Lummox can do for us. We are here. We're gonna be here forever. Let's work together to make where we're at a nicer place to be. Let's make the shit we wanted to have when we were just starting out. Let's help some new developers have a good time learning useful life skills with DM. Fixating on only the negatives only blinds you to the solutions standing directly behind them. Let's do what we can do today to support each other in the creation of assets and spaces for ourselves and others.
Agree wholeheartedly Ter. You are doing the lions share of building the community and we need others to step up rather than feel like everything needs to be done by Lummox or yourself. I'll definitely use Gurubot for my projects.

One thing I highly recommend, and its up to Lummox of course, is making the BYOND Discord official and linking it prominently on the BYOND.com website. I know we love to work around BYOND proper without interrupting Lummox's flow, but as we've seen from vectors and pixlocs - there is power in baking in what the community builds for itself into the offical product. So much of the BYOND whitepaper, blue book, etc should be superseded with some of the super cool content that's more up to date that lives in the Discord and oref. So I really think the community needs to do its part - but Lummox please make legitimate and prominently highlight the things that work so the community can find it more easily.

Login to reply.