ID:2945477

Over a decade ago, there was a browser-based caveman RPG that regenerated 5 energy points per hour, and I’m interested in replicating that mechanic using a world-time variable. Currently, I can only track the in-game time of day. How would I implement a system where a player regenerates 5 points of energy per hour, even while they are logged out?

// Retrieve the world time and player's current energy upon logout
// Calculate the time difference between the current time and the last recorded logout time to determine the number of hours elapsed
Keep track of the last time the player regenerated energy. Whenever they log in, regen_count = floor((world.time - src.last_time_regen) / 36000).

The above code is just a way to track how many hours since the player's last regeneration. If it has been at least an hour, then you do:

energy + = regen_count * 5.
last_time_regen = world.time

You'd also include this same check in a global loop that is constantly ticking.

This is napkin code, but it should get the gears turning, yeah?

EDIT:

Went to sleep and woke up realizing this code is flawed. the flw here is that let's say a person has logged on after being offline for 1.5 hours. They'd get 5 energy, but would then have to wait another hour when it should just be 30 minutes.

So instead, you'd want to keep track of the remainder and adjust the last_time_regen accordingly.

Login to reply.