ID:2889133

Hi. I've been using Byond and playing SS13 for a few weeks now with no issues, which makes this all the more confusing. Today when trying to get into Space Station 13 I got the message 'the byond hub is unavailable' in the pager.

I've gone through all the usual steps; I cleared the cache, tried reinstalling byond (several times), after which I'm just stuck on 'Loading game information'..., even changed the location of the BYOND folder in the registry (I saw this suggested by a dev in another support thread). Even though it's been working until today, I also went through and port-forwarded 6001 and 20002. Of course, running it as an administrator as well. It's also allowed through my firewall.

I'm a professional software engineer who's very PC-savvy, but I'm at a loss here. I can't think of anything else to try. Any suggestions?
Also: I've tried with both the stable branch and the beta branch. Same issue on both.
I have now even contacted my ISP to ensure that the ports are indeed open, and they confirmed that they are, so this is almost impossible to be a network issue on my end. I also restarted my router just to be on the safe side.
Same problem here, every fix I tried failed too.

This is weird because everything worked fine yesterday, I just woke up this morning and couldn't launch BYOND anymore.

I remember trying the beta branch yesterday, out of curiosity. I don't see how this could have anything to do with our problem though.

Weird this happenned to both of us on the same day. I really hope some saviour will help us quickly, I really wanted to play today
In response to Prifiglion
Prifiglion wrote:
Same problem here, every fix I tried failed too.

This is weird because everything worked fine yesterday, I just woke up this morning and couldn't launch BYOND anymore.

I remember trying the beta branch yesterday, out of curiosity. I don't see how this could have anything to do with our problem though.

Right, this is an issue on Byond's side for sure then. We'll just have to wait for a response from them.
Weird this happenned to both of us on the same day. I really hope some saviour will help us quickly, I really wanted to play today

Have you still been experiencing these issues? I'm still struggling with them and haven't figured out a solution.
Having the same problem here since Friday, are we all located in North America East coast? We might be experiencing some routing problems at the ISP level.
it's weird, i didn't have any issues on friday morning but since then i haven't been able to connect to a byond game. east coast too.
Using a VPN worked for me:

"Using the free version of ProtonVPN, I'm able to connect and choose a server, once I'm in I can disconnect from the VPN, reconnect to the server and play on my original connection."
In response to BadStu
I tried this and I have no idea why but it worked. Once I was connected to another place, BYOND got past the "loading game information" screen and then closed by itself, but it was still running according to task manager. I then disconnected from the VPN, launched BYOND and it opened instantly.

For the record, I am located in North America East coast too, in Quebec specifically. If one of you could explain what likely happened I would love to read about it.
I'm also in Quebec and have the same issue as you. Rather odd. Same time frame as well that the issue started
I also am in Quebec and i have this issue.
I encountered that issue too (funny thing im also in quebec myself) - it may be related to something in latest windows and the removal of IE since BYOND still operate with it. I found a fix by adding byond domain in microsoft edge's settings. Go to default browser in edge's settings, turn allow IE compatibility and add the web link of byond. It will fix the connection when opening the pager afterwards. This is just another solution aside using a VPN on and off to make operational under your internet connection.
In response to BadStu
I am on the north american east coast and I am having the same problem.
This is a still a reoccurring issue. I've been using 1.1.1.1 DNS resolver by cloudflare to resolve this.
I would imagine this isn't BYOND related. That being said, a Wireshark capture would be very helpful to diagnose what is going on under the hood here. It sounds like a TCP reset somewhere along the route.