ID:277384

Anyone know how I can manually edit it? It tells me I have XP pro X64 installed twice and only one copy works. When I reinstalled XP I still have the other OS listed on boot.
Er... Notepad?

It's in C:\boot.ini. It's a hidden file, so make sure you turn on display of hidden files.

Be careful, keep a backup, try not to kill anything, and be sure to have a failsafe method for restoring the old boot.ini in case something goes wrong. =)
Start > Run > msconfig

There's everything you need.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Start > Run > msconfig

There's everything you need.

I can't seem to take that other OS off with config. I guess I need to make a backup and write some program in C++ or C# to rewrite my boot.ini from the command line.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Am I wrong in thinking you still haven't tried what Crispy said?
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:
Anyone know how I can manually edit it? It tells me I have XP pro X64 installed twice and only one copy works. When I reinstalled XP I still have the other OS listed on boot.

You need to completely wipe your hard drive. And then reinstall it again(most likely). This happened to my friend because his drive was partitioned and he failed to wipe the drive and start anew....thust putting windows home on one partition and windows pro on the other 0_0
In response to FriesOfDoom
@FriesOfDoom

I highly doubt he'll have to do that. Just go into boot.ini and remove the entry that doesnt work.

If you can't see it enable Show Hidden Files and Show System Files in Folder options and make it not read only.
Well, your friend is a noob.
FriesOfDoom wrote:
You need to completely wipe your hard drive.

Heck no. Don't do that. This is not something that needs a full format to fix. All you need to do is edit boot.ini. It takes like 2 minutes.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking you still haven't tried what Crispy said?

It worked fine, I made a small program just incase I screwed up.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
FriesOfDoom wrote:

Heck no. Don't do that. This is not something that needs a full format to fix. All you need to do is edit boot.ini. It takes like 2 minutes.

True, but he said he had already wiped it once, so wiping it again wouldn't matter if you wanted to spend the time to do it.
FriesOfDoom wrote:
Crispy wrote:
FriesOfDoom wrote:

True, but he said he had already wiped it once, so wiping it again wouldn't matter if you wanted to spend the time to do it.

reinstall != wiping HD