Hey, it's Jeffree Star!
In response to Ry4n
But I did... :(
That's pretty creepy.
In response to Worldweaver
noe u r :(

_ryan
In response to Ry4n
I hardly have time with school these days to code. Which, the reason I'm focusing so much in school is to go to college and get a degree in game design. So its kinda like putting it off for later.

I hate the common misconception(I bet i butchered that word) that people can look in the DM guide, read it a couple hours, and they magicly know how to use the stuff they read. Alot of my friends, and it seems the new people comming to BYOND learn like me. You have to see it done by someone with them explaining it to you, and then reflect on it before you really understand how to use it. Kind of like if you told someone who spoke another language the definition of...."Phat" and "Fat" without giving them examples. They wouldn't really know the diffrenece, or how to use/write them in a sentence. Im sure this is why most newbs become discouraged and just use a source. Just like if you couldn't figure out how to speak another language, you'd get a translator to do it all for you. Most people on the "how-to" or "code problems" fourms just tell the newbs "Read the DM guide(it may look like Japanese, but if you stare at it long enough you'll learn it eventually!)" or "No usr in proc, ugh," without explaining it. Could you learn something like Calculus or ADV Algebra if the teacher only told you how to do it and didn't/refused to give you examples? In my eyes coding can be just as complicated for some people.
In response to FriesOfDoom
FriesOfDoom wrote:
I hardly have time with school these days to code. Which, the reason I'm focusing so much in school is to go to college and get a degree in game design. So its kinda like putting it off for later.

I hate the common misconception(I bet i butchered that word) that people can look in the DM guide, read it a couple hours, and they magicly know how to use the stuff they read. Alot of my friends, and it seems the new people comming to BYOND learn like me. You have to see it done by someone with them explaining it to you, and then reflect on it before you really understand how to use it. Kind of like if you told someone who spoke another language the definition of...."Phat" and "Fat" without giving them examples. They wouldn't really know the diffrenece, or how to use/write them in a sentence. Im sure this is why most newbs become discouraged and just use a source. Just like if you couldn't figure out how to speak another language, you'd get a translator to do it all for you. Most people on the "how-to" or "code problems" fourms just tell the newbs "Read the DM guide(it may look like Japanese, but if you stare at it long enough you'll learn it eventually!)" or "No usr in proc, ugh," without explaining it. Could you learn something like Calculus or ADV Algebra if the teacher only told you how to do it and didn't/refused to give you examples? In my eyes coding can be just as complicated for some people.

Whoa... that's kinda off topic. But the good helpers do give source code. However, they give source code that provides an outline of the goal being attempted and expect the learner to develop and improve upon that outline to solve their problem fully.

To put it in your terms, you can't learn Calculus unless you actually do the homework. =)
In response to FriesOfDoom
Uh, are you quite done? Can we get back to talking about Ryan's nipples now?

Freakin' thread hijackers...
I've got this problem. My old game was destroyed that I made years ago, and it was really good. I'm trying to make it again, but I'm way better at coding now so it will rock when it's finally done. But with school and my friends, I barely have time to work (I get like 3 hours of spare time a night, and I don't spend it all working) and when I do try to get some serious work time in, my iconer/idealist normally isn't here (I can icon, I just prefer to have him do it so I don't need to :P)

It gets really annoying... But I'm trying to clear up some time for it.
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
Whoa... that's kinda off topic. But the good helpers do give source code. However, they give source code that provides an outline of the goal being attempted and expect the learner to develop and improve upon that outline to solve their problem fully.

To put it in your terms, you can't learn Calculus unless you actually do the homework. =)

Sorry, just all this talk of "look in the DM guide" brings back memories :(
Page: 1 2