In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
I think giving a violent game a M+15 rating SHOULD be enough, however most perents will buy it for there 10 year old kids without even glancing at the rating.

This is a matter of maturity alone; age don't enter into it. Some kids have the concept of telling right from wrong down pat at age 6 or 7, others don't get it until they're in their twenties--or else they never figure it out at all.

Nonetheless as a matter of practicality we do age-restrict things (and bell curve variances aside, there do appear to be physical differences in brain development at various ages that make it harder for a younger person to be mature).

I personally don't have a problem with age-restricting various games...little kids probably shouldn't be playing GTA3, just like they shouldn't be watching the Sopranos. But as an adult I should have the option of either.
In response to Deadron
Nonetheless as a matter of practicality we do age-restrict things (and bell curve variances aside, there do appear to be physical differences in brain development at various ages that make it harder for a younger person to be mature).

I personally don't have a problem with age-restricting various games...little kids probably shouldn't be playing GTA3, just like they shouldn't be watching the Sopranos. But as an adult I should have the option of either.

I agree, but I can still grouse. In theory, a guideline system should work well; however, in practice it only works in a broad, statistical sense, as the number of parents who ignore them and let their children play games or watch things that are inappropriate for their children balance out with the number that overreact and refuse to let their children do and see things that they can handle without harm.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5