ID:265681

If someone rips your hard worked on icons, what exactly can you do to them?

I'm not saying someone ripped my icons, just asking what I could do to them if this happens.
Nothing.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
..That is... Sad.
In response to Oblivon_2
If someone ripped them and was trying to give them away, then the byond staff will deal with it.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Oh, well there's something good.
Why the hell is this topic in the features forum. :O

Anyway, in the long run, you basically can't prevent people ripping your icons, and you can't do anything about people who have gotten them either. Think about it for a bit.
In response to Kaioken
I.. don't know, and thank you.
In all seriousness, you contact a lawyer and you sue them. That is how you defend your copyrights. If you win, they get to pay your court costs and lawyer fees in addition to any damages awarded to you.
In response to Shadowdarke
Hmm...but you don't have a copyright on your icons. :D
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:

Why not? If you drew them, they're yours. In most of the countries on the planet, you automatically have copyright, whether you put a little (c) anywhere nearby or not.
In response to Jon88
Erm, how would you prove you drew them?
In response to Kaioken
In the US, you can register a copyright with the US Copyright Office.

Apart from that I don't know.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Erm, how would you prove you drew them?

There are a number of ways to prove copyright, the easiest to uphold in court is obviously a registered copyright. For cheapskates, you can burn it on CD and mail it to yourself in a certified letter. Just remember not to open it. The judge will open it when it can be documented in the court proceedings. Any other dated records of your copyrighted materials can help support it as well, though it will be much harder to defend. As I said before, talk to your lawyer about it. Getting half baked advice on the internet doesn't count.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:

Actually as soon as your idea is put on paper or anything else, it is legally copyrighted. You just have to prove you thought of it first, which is where the little C comes in.
In response to Oblivon_2
this goes right back to my point i made in BYOND Features forum http://developer.byond.com/forum/ index.cgi?action=message_read&id=514770&forum=1&view=0
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Kaioken wrote:

Why not? If you drew them, they're yours. In most of the countries on the planet, you automatically have copyright, whether you put a little (c) anywhere nearby or not.

But thats probably the best and most simple solution! Just throw the © as a watermark over the entire icon. Not only makes sure people know that they're copyrighted, but also discourages ripping!
In response to Mblal6
Mblal6 wrote:
this goes right back to my point i made in BYOND Features forum http://developer.byond.com/forum/ index.cgi?action=message_read&id=514770&forum=1&view=0

Your point is no point..Its impossible to stop people from stealing your icons..They could easily take a screenshot of their computer screen with the print screen function..Even if that was somehow blocked, they could take a photo of their computer screen with a digital camera and so on..
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
When I was younger I copied, pixel for pixel, Super Mario World sprites off the TV screen and into Microsoft Paint.

I'll admit that wasn't on the same scale as ripping an entire set of graphics. I did it because I wanted to draw my own picture so I only needed enough to make the interior of a castle with some enemies. However it does prove prove just how far people could go.

The best advice I can give is not worry about it. People who rip graphics can rarely program well enough to make a decent game.
In response to Jon88
What happens if it's not on the planet? Huh? WHAT THEN? :O
In response to SSJ-Chao
Good question. I think that falls under the jurisdiction of internationally-accepted space laws, and there aren't very many of those yet.
Page: 1 2