In response to Shadowdarke
Doesn't work in US apparently.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp
In response to Abhishake
Based on the wording of Snopes, that only seems to suggest that it's never actually been necessary... I imagine that if it's a certified letter, it isn't easy to fake and it would indeed count as an original copy.

Usually copyright law is quite easy to prove and there aren't very many instances of copyright without serious damages to begin with.
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
Good question. I think that falls under the jurisdiction of internationally-accepted space laws, and there aren't very many of those yet.

Where can I read up on these space laws?
In response to Abhishake
Abhishake wrote:
Doesn't work in US apparently.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp

I doubt my business-law teacher lied to me, or the class of 60+ students.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
In the US, you can register a copyright with the US Copyright Office.

Apart from that I don't know.

Aye, in the US, you have to register (and pay all applicable fees) if you want to sue for monetary damages. I think you can still fight for ownership without registering (possibly with the so-called poor man's copyright as evidence), but without having registered prior, you can't take money for it.

Hiead
In response to DarkView
So true...Many(trying not to be too generalized here) in the unpublished who are using ripped codings and icons only know enough code to change a title screen and the name of the game. Ask them to use something as simple as a bump proc and they're head would explode. Again...trying not to generalize but if the shoe fits and all that...
In response to FriesOfDoom
Another way to verify it is yours, seal a copy of it and mail it to yourself, but never open it. You can use it as evidence that you created it, but its also a good idea to put a date and such on it, i believe. I'm not entirely sure how it works, though. I just know that US Mail service works that way, my LA teacher talked about it last yr.
In response to Polantaris
Polantaris wrote:
Another way to verify it is yours, seal a copy of it and mail it to yourself, but never open it. You can use it as evidence that you created it, but its also a good idea to put a date and such on it, i believe. I'm not entirely sure how it works, though. I just know that US Mail service works that way, my LA teacher talked about it last yr.

This has already been brought up in this very thread. ;-)
In response to Jtgibson
Yeah, I didn't notice until after I had posted, my bad!
Page: 1 2