ID:2197957

-Windows 10, Firefox
-I am trying to connect to a Space Station 13 server
-Dreamseeker hangs on load, crashes, says it can't connect, or disappears and causes CPU usage to rocket up*

My device:
Microsoft Surface Book

More notes:
cache has been cleared multiple times
byond folder has been deleted and rebuilt multiple times
byond has been uninstalled and installed multiple times
I am able to connect via other computers using the same account
dreamseeker itself does not show up in the taskbar dropdown menu
*often I have to go into the task manager and kill the process

Description of crash using event viewer:

Faulting application name: byond.exe, version: 5.0.510.1347, time stamp: 0x5764532e
Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825700e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0006a0c9
Faulting process id: 0xe20
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2699c7361be8f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byond.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\uiautomationcore.dll
Report Id: 9b9826e0-d985-43e5-af23-6a55bf6eadac
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
That crash is not in BYOND itself but in a Microsoft .dll. Searching Google suggests this .dll has caused problems for others in other games, and in those cases users solved the oroblem by putting an older version of the .dll in their game's directory (in this case, probably C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin).
My problem is very similar to yours, here's my post: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2195607
When I viewed the issue in event viewer I did not get nearly that much constructive data, am I using it wrong? I tried the fix described by Lummox JR just for kicks, no dice, it just changed the UI a little depending on the version of uiautomationcore.dll used. Could my problem also be caused by a windows system file, and if so, which one?
In response to OnionGod
Your problem is unlikely to be related; you had an app hang, never a crash.
In response to Lummox JR
Hey look at that, your profile pic is MST3K! I've been looking at it all week and never made the connection!

But really, I'm going into SS13 withdrawal. Not to hijack your thread OP, but can anyone think of helpful troubleshooting steps I could take to get info on my problem?
I appreciate the responses but I am still unable to play. Regarding the uiautomationcore.dll:

One, I am unsure what version I need because I have tried a few different ones from one website that were unsuccessful, though I'm not even sure how legit the files are.

Two, putting it in the byond directory doesn't seem to do anything because the event viewer shows it bypassing that .dll and just heading for the one in system32. I have replaced that one a few times but messing with system files sucks. It is also a lot of trial and error, really, so it's hard to know what to do.
Unfortunately the info on problems with that .dll is very thin on the ground. Most of the people who had issues were players of Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and the ones who solved it always did so by downgrading.

The best thing I can suggest right now is that maybe you have a program on your system that triggers this .dll to be used. UI Automation is an accessibility feature; a program designed for accessibility uses this API to talk to other programs. I checked out this link on Stack Overflow and in that case, a program called RoboForm was responsible for altering another program's behavior. Does your system have any accessibility programs running that might be causing UI Automation to come into play? (You could always post a list of processes and/or services in use if you're not sure.)