ID:191007

Reinstalling Windows is officially annoying. After a night of trying to install a bootleg copy of Starcraft: Brood War (since I'm too cheap to buy the 10 dollar expansion), recieving errors connecting to battle.net afterwards, and finishing it up with a night of fun playing RacingGame and working on TTS2, after all this, I decide to reboot. I believe it's about 1 in the morning. After rebooting, I recieve the works: first we start off with scandisk, next it gives me the "windows didn't boot up right on previous attempts," and tries to stick me in safe mode. Of course, I am a man who will not be fooled, and after verbally arguing with the computer for 20 seconds, I had my way and booted up normally. I got an error for missing device files located in my old anti-virus directory, I dismissed the warning and proceeded. Finally, moving into the actual windows screen, I seen the familiar hourglass icon. Shortly thereafter (actually quite a while later -- my computer is extremely slow) I got the most lovely dialog box.

--------------------------------------------
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\EXPLORER.EXE

Please reinstall Windows.

The joys of being monopolized by Microsoft. Either way, I tried rebooting a good 5 times, to no avail -- it wasn't going to budge. I ended up popping out the old Windows 98 disk, and loading it up. My first attempt to reinstall failed. Something about "improper disk compression." Finally, at 2:20 in the morning (Eastern, of course ;) I finally had it copying the Windows files. Let me ask you this, why does it take 6 minutes to install Diablo 2, which spans three disks, whereas Windows has one disk, and takes 60 minutes? Either way. I've had a fun night (and morning).
No one cares.
In response to Siientx
I have many problems with windows also, such as getting a mess load of registration errors through certain background *And well hidden* programs running constantly upon startup of my computer. Im beginning to believe 2nd edition of Windows 98 is very unstable. Even when I hit ctrl+Alt+Del there is always a chance of a lagging program not responding, and it looks something like this.

199902[Not Responding]
iexplore
iexplore
iexplore
iexplore
iexplore
90212[Not Responding]
Aim
Explorer

etc..

I would like to see a record of annurisms brought about by these senseless problems.

-ken--
In response to Siientx
Siientx wrote:
No one cares.

No... You may not care, others will care.

I for one care because it is a fellow friend who has had or is still having trouble. Whereas you on the other hand couldn't give a damn.

--Lee
In response to NeoHaxor
Actually, Ken, if you go into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCONFIG.EXE, you can run that program and better handle startup. Just remove anything that you don't want on there anymore, including your problem programs, and you should be running fine in no time.

~Polatrite~
Polatrite wrote:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

You know you want to.
In response to SilkWizard
Your a sick man.

Can I talk to you on the pager? (Yes, really)
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
Can I talk to you on the pager? (Yes, really)

Yeah, let me boot up the old Windows emulator.

Hmm when I got that error message on my old laptop it wasn't as nice. I think it was phrased "You must reinstall Windows.".

Anyway it could have just been some registry corruption problem. After I got that message I restored an old copy of my registry and everything worked fine. Your registry may have been corrupted from your copy of Brood War to since Blizzard stores some information in the registry and the patch may have botched things up.

The joys of being monopolized by Microsoft. Either way, I tried rebooting a good 5 times, to no avail -- it wasn't going to budge. I ended up popping out the old Windows 98 disk, and loading it up. My first attempt to reinstall failed. Something about "improper disk compression." Finally, at 2:20 in the morning (Eastern, of course ;) I finally had it copying the Windows files. Let me ask you this, why does it take 6 minutes to install Diablo 2, which spans three disks, whereas Windows has one disk, and takes 60 minutes? Either way. I've had a fun night (and morning).

The Diablo 2 install is pretty much just copying over files from the CD. The windows installer has to do a lot more like setting up all the device drivers and other OS stuff.
In response to Theodis
Do as I have done! Follow the path to enlightenment (and not just the x-windows desktop by the same name!) and install a modern Linux OS with KDE, then install WINE, Willow, or VMware and run your Windows apps with stability! Heck, some even claim that Windows on top of Linux is more stable that Windows alone! Just think: if Windows crashes, you just restart it like it was another program!

Put the power of the 'Dark side' under your control once and for all!!!
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Do as I have done! Follow the path to enlightenment (and not just the x-windows desktop by the same name!) and install a modern Linux OS with KDE, then install WINE, Willow, or VMware and run your Windows apps with stability!
[snip]

The stability may be nice, but how is the speed? I have DirectX games I'd like to play.
In response to Leftley
Very... informative. In case anyone's just teetering on the edge, here are a few more (QuickTime 6 required for the first one, but worth it):

Macs are better than...? (1.2 MB)
Easy Mac (512 kb)
iMac to go (752 kb)

Sadly, I think those last two were serious.
If he is too cheap to purchase a legal copy of brood wars (same as me) then how is he going to get the money for VMware!?! And then there is a whole host of other problems that a life-time Windows user has when switching over to Linux. Most can be overcome with time and patience, but I don't think he'd be willing to do such as this.
I swear you Apple folks are worse then all of those religious folks who go door to door trying to get converts.
In response to DasFalke
DasFalke wrote:
I swear you Apple folks are worse then all of those religious folks who go door to door trying to get converts.

If you resist you'll only make things harder on yourself.
In response to DasFalke
DasFalke wrote:
If he is too cheap to purchase a legal copy of brood wars
(same as me) then how is he going to get the money for
VMware!?!

With all the money he saves from not using Windows as the core OS in the first place - besides there are creative (ahem) ways to get software. AND you can use the free Wine and Willow emulators (although some would argue that Wine is not an emulator since is diretly ports the win32 stuff).

And then there is a whole host of other problems that a
life-time Windows user has when switching over to Linux.

And what obstacles are these? If you are not willing to come to the realization that both Linux and MacOS have generally superior OS technology, you certainly are not willing to enjoy a more stable, robust computing experience! (although there are a few nice features I like about WinXP - like user switching)

*Of course* you need the time and patience for some (good) things! I have had over a 90% success rate in careful searching of free, good, alternatives to everything I had in Windoze - quite a few newer games than use DirectX also can use OpenGL. I believe there is a project to develop a *nix verson of DirectX too. OpenOffice replaces M$Office and BYOND runs quite well under VMware and (so I hear) under Wine. You have Opera, Mozilla, and a half-dozen other standards-compliant browsers. There are tons of cool games (most free) for Linux, and it supports most of the internet protocols *natively*. It's far more secure and robust (but not without its own problems, granted). Quake2 runs awesomely under Linux, and Loki Games were recently doing some good business porting Win-games to Linux. Delevopment of Java, C/C++, and PHP coding (for the web or for standalone apps) is done pretty smoothly on Linux and MacOS (with things like CodeWarrior).

Embrace the future! =)
Polatrite wrote:
Reinstalling Windows is officially annoying. After a night of trying to install a bootleg copy of Starcraft: Brood War (since I'm too cheap to buy the 10 dollar expansion)

If you're gonna play bootleg commercial games, then you deserve to have to reinstall Windows.

(I have made my living on software for a long time now, so I'm not too sympathetic to not paying the lousy $10...)
I shall follow my master.After of course I get vmware unless willow will operate functionally.Hmm.Someone enlighten me on the subject because I really want linux on my computer.How should I go about all this?
In response to Mellifluous
I care because I had to reinstall windows 98 after downloading a game.
Page: 1 2