ID:190107

For whatever reason my computer cannot access links off the internet that open a new browser. The new browser's outline will appear then it will completely stop responding. And my Ctrl+F search feature is screwed too. I can use it on my desktop to search for whatever is I need to find, but when I try it out web pages I get an error.

I am suspecting a virus. I also suspect that I contracted something while using KaZaA that is causing this. Does anyone of any ideas on what could be wrong, or how to fix it? And does anyone know of a quality virus scan that I can download for free?

$~Ray~$
Stimulus wrote:
For whatever reason my computer cannot access links off the internet that open a new browser. The new browser's outline will appear then it will completely stop responding. And my Ctrl+F search feature is screwed too. I can use it on my desktop to search for whatever is I need to find, but when I try it out web pages I get an error.

Well it'd help to say which browser you're using. It'd also help not to call this a CPU problem, since it obviously has nothing to do with the CPU. If it did, your system would have crashed instantly.

I am suspecting a virus. I also suspect that I contracted something while using KaZaA that is causing this.

Suspect something else. This is a very very unlikely explanation and it should never be at the top of your list.

Does anyone of any ideas on what could be wrong, or how to fix it? And does anyone know of a quality virus scan that I can download for free?

Likely enough the process that controls all the browser windows is messed up, or is relying on some outside resource that's locked up. This is most likely caused by system stress, like using a lot of memory and a lot of CPU cycles for an extended period. Reboot your computer.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Reboot your computer.

And if that doesn't work, reinstall Windows. Never fails! =)
In response to Crispy
God i hate how well that works. I wish there was a better way, but nooo, its always the only way. Well really with windows XP you can kinda reset just windows to an earlyer date. Its handy and saved my computer and all my stuff there in.
In response to Scoobert
You can do this with windows 98 as well. A tech support guy walked me through it.