ID:189855

Friday was Career Day at my school and it got me to start some serious thinking about what I plan to do with my life. I am interested in what the rest of the community plans to do for their careers. Right now I have no idea what I will be doing 10 years from now, but hopefully I won't just be stuck with a regular job (Just Over Broke). So, what do you plan for your career, and what are you doing now (if anything) to prepare yourself for it?

$~Ray~$
Im spending a few more years on a little job* then when Im ready I'll probably join the Police force. Im still not 100% sure if thats what I want to do, but Ive got plenty of time to think it over.

* Just something to pass the time and pay the bills.
In response to DarkView
Im planning on going to the local vo-tech school for two years Then heading to kansas state university for a degree in computer science.

That is if my grades keeep up.
I just want to work for myself. I will answer to only me. And I am looking at busines courses.
I have some odd plans, really i hope to become a game engine creator. I have lots of friends who want to learn out how to make games, but im not sure they will be the ones i will end up with. I say engine creator because i have almost no artistic skills when it comes to graphics. My skill is in programming.
In response to Jinjo21
Well... I want to become a computer programmer. Not neccesiraly for games, but hey who knows :-). I have good grades and my family is rich :) so i hope to go to a good college. That is the reason i joined BYOND :)

~STARWARSPOWER~
In response to Starwarspower
Not to put too fine a point on it - but spelling and checking your grammer for errors can be key to any future career where writing is involved, except maybe McDonalds (not that its a bad choice mind you...).

Me - I'm doing what I always wanted: running my own, marginally profitable, website programming business.
Stimulus wrote:
Friday was Career Day at my school and it got me to start some serious thinking about what I plan to do with my life. I am interested in what the rest of the community plans to do for their careers. Right now I have no idea what I will be doing 10 years from now, but hopefully I won't just be stuck with a regular job (Just Over Broke). So, what do you plan for your career, and what are you doing now (if anything) to prepare yourself for it?

$~Ray~$

I am hoping to own my own entertainment company. I use the term entertainment becuase of all the things I am interested in now. I am great with computer programming, graphic design, composing music, as well as others I don't feel like naming. I think I may just end up starting my company here on BYOND. Who knows, maybe I will find someone here who can help me, and we may end up teaming up in real life.

<font color=green>G.I.Bro</font>
In response to G.I.Bro
Lucky Digi, You live in germany and you program for a living.
Stimulus wrote:

If you don't want to be broke, then start investing/saving money from your first paycheck on. It makes a *huge* difference how much money you have later in life if you start saving in your teens. Small amounts put aside now pay large returns later, and getting into the habit now means you don't have to wake up at 40+ and realize you have no money.

The best book I ever read on how to keep from being broke is The Millionaire Next Door.
In response to digitalmouse
Hey! Looks like digitalmouse and I are the only people who spotted that weird word...

=)
~wolf01
In response to digitalmouse
What's wrong with McDonald's... :P
In response to Sariat
It doesn't pay nearly as well as computing programming. =P
In response to Crispy
Yeah, but its not nearly as hard to be a success at McDonalds as it is to be a successful programmer.
In response to DarkView
Maybe for some people. =)

--Crispy, the <s>l33t c0d3r</s> programmer
I've pretty much had this planned out since the 7th grade.
First I wish to graduate HighSchool, Saving a little here and there from my current job. (Im a junior for 1 more month)
After highschool, I am going to take a year break, and work for that year, My uncle offered me a job at his place of business aiding in maintaining a computer network (About $1K weekly).
After that I plan to attent A.C.C (Adirondack Community College) for the first two years, to continue any necessary courses I need in math and such (im a slacker in High School), and to also get the feel of college, and after those years I am hoping to join a tech school or possibly FullSail College in winterpark florida.
After college I hope to find a better paying job, if I cannot I will probably continue working for my uncle. I was hoping at first to start a game making career, but with the wise words of a few friends, I found it to be better to do on my free time as a side job.
Also I hope to have kids around the age of 30 and a very nice girl with fake boobs and a great looking sports car with a possible 5.0 cylinder engine, but I doubt that much will come true.

-=Ken=-
In response to NeoHaxor
I too have been considering full sail. I get brochures and stuff now :D only 2 years before I would go though, I plan on a gap year to Japan.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Yeah, but its not nearly as hard to be a success at McDonalds as it is to be a successful programmer.

Being excellent in any career is no more or less difficult than in any other career. The energy and brainpower expended are the same.
In response to Deadron
Unless you are one of those guys who signs up to everything that says 'use this and we give you money'. But that's not really a job.
Game Designer or Animator...
Page: 1 2