ID:189320

What's the best battle system anyone has used in an RPG. I'd have to say Star Ocean 2 by far. You only control one character and the other characters in your party either attack or stand back and use magic. The battle system in that game gave it plenty of action. If that game had a final fantasy battle system it would have been an average RPG but because of that battle system it's one of my favorite games. If anyone hasn't played that game then I'd highly recommend you go pic it up used for like $9.99. It's on Playstation by the way.
I actually would have to agree with you. Star Ocean 2 had a great battle system, though the enemies in the game weren't balanced enough.

Other good battle systems would have to be the Dynasty Warriors battle system, and The Bouncer battle system, but those aren't RPGs.

On RPG note, Legend of Dragoon had a great battle system that improved the old final fantasy one.
Star Wars ; Knights of The Old Republic. Rated the best RPG to be created. We'll just ahev to wait for Crystal Chronicles to come to the west too.

But I suggest buying KOTOR for the X-box. If you don't have an X-box but a really nice comp with a good graphics card, go ahead and get the PC version.
In response to JordanUl
I didn't even know it was on PC. I can't find it at my game shop a.k.a. Kazaa Lite. Are you sure it's out yet?
I played a Nintendo 64 RPG called "Hybrid Heaven" that had one of the most interesting battle systems I've ever seen. You input a fighting combo to use, and you could strengthen a combo by using it a lot. You could also learn new combos from enemies. Very fun game.

However, I'd say that my favorite battle system is the one in Skies of Arcadia. Nothing fancy, just a classic, easy to use battle system that didn't get boring (even in the forty hours it took me to beat the game). It also allowed for quite a bit of strategy in battles.
A great RPG battle system is the one used in Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES. You'll either love it or hate it. Its extremely complex, like two battle systems in one. I cant describe it very well, but if you ever get the chance to play it PLAY IT!
You would think it was a PlayStation game if you werent holding a SNES controller (Thats how good the game is). I think it was one of the last SNES games that Square ever made.