In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
In no particular order:
Star Wars (episode IV, A New Hope)

Pfft, what is that? Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is where it's at.
In more or less chronological order, a very incomplete list:

Night of the Hunter

Dr. Strangelove

2001: A Space Odyssey

Bladerunner (each Director's cut having been better than the last)

Man Facing Southeast

The Sweet Hereafter

Magnolia

Punch-Drunk Love

I'll probably edit later to add more when I think of them...
Let me think about the best movies I've seen... Not a vivid memory of all I've seen...

Comedies:

SLC Punk (SLC = Salt Lake City... This movie is SO funny. If you ever stop by utah, I suggest getting it. It is a hilarious comedy (a film festival movie) and even gets so emotional that I had to hold tears back for one of the scenes.)
Scary Movie 2 and 3 (I just can't stop laughing at these.)
Shanghai Knights and Shanghai Noon

Suspense:

The Butterfly Effect (This takes imagination to watch. it is a "what if" kind of movie. Usually the people who say the movie sucked, are the people who in their review stated, "The theory is proposterous." It takes imagination. This had me on the edge of my seat the whole movie and wanting to see what happened next throughout the movie.)
Wrong Turn (Crappy slasher film. However, this is the only one which had me on the edge of my seat. It sucks otherwise, but it was a lot better than other horror-slashers.
The Green Mile

Horror:

The Shining (The only horror movie that has scared me so far. I plan on watching the excorcist, but that will be some other time.)
Freddy vs. Jason (This is more action, and the movies have been beaten to death, but anything like this is just awesome in my eyes because I LOVE evil vs evil fights. I look forward to AVP as well because of this.)

Action:

Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2 (Volume 1 was a simply awesome action movie. 2 wasn't that great for action but it was still really good, for it had a decent storyline to explain the situation better.)
The Last Samurai

Obviously I don't remember older movies, but these ones I do remember still do the trick.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
The Butterfly Effect

That movie MESSED WITH MY MIND AND TURNED ME INSANE UNTIL I COULD SLEEP OFF THE AFTER-EFFECTS.

In a good way.

(This takes imagination to watch. it is a "what if" kind of movie. Usually the people who say the movie sucked, are the people who in their review stated, "The theory is proposterous." It takes imagination. This had me on the edge of my seat the whole movie and wanting to see what happened next throughout the movie.)

Who are these people? I want to hit them. =P The Butterfly Effect is the best movie I've seen in a long time.
Page: 1 2