In response to GokuDBZ3128
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
Just wanted to point out that after that Farenheit 9/11 movie, plus all those "disses" against George W. Bush in South Park and other shows, he still won by both popular vote and by the Electoral College. This just goes to show how many people want Bush.

I disagree. Bush's approval rating is hovering just a bit below 50%. No incumbent has ever won reelection with such a low approval rating. Jobs overall were lost during his presidency (just a statement of fact, not blame). The last president who saw that happen during his term (Hoover) was not reelected. A lot of people are very upset about the handling of Iraq for various reasons. This election was practically Kerry's to lose.

I'd say Bush won (or will win, in the end) despite all of the above because his opponent was horrible. Kerry was a terrible candidate and ran a terrible campaign. He tried to be on both sides of issues (I'm not talking about the flip-flop accusations - those were, as nearly all negative political attacks, taken out of context) but ended up sounding incoherent and without a plan. I sympathize with neither party, but surely the Democrats could have nominated someone better than him?

Both sides had their base that won't cross party lines, and a lot of the voters in the middle felt confused - even moreso than in 2000. Many people wanted Bush out but Kerry was not a palatable alternative. So my opinion is that Kerry and his team lost the election all by themselves.
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
Hillary Clinton is running for president in 2008. People say she has a good chance of winning but I am not going to jump to conclusions. I guess we will just wait and see....

I seriously doubt it. Unfortunately, I don't believe this country is ready for a female president. I'm not even sure how long it will take to get a minority president in office. This is an observation, not a statement of my own feelings.

Personally, I'd vote for a minority or woman candidate in a heartbeat if I felt the person were well qualified for the job. I'd love to see those kinds of barriers broken down in my lifetime. But I don't think the country as a whole is ready for it. We've come a long way in the last 50 or 100 years, but we have a long way to go as a society. There's still the underlying attitude that men are stronger and you need someone strong to be president. And still far too much racial bias exists for a non-white candidate to make a real run at the office. I sincerely hope that changes soon, but I'm doubtful.

That said, I don't really care for Hillary and wouldn't vote for her based on political principles. I think there are too many people who also dislike her for her to have a true shot at a nomination or victory, regardless of her gender. I could be wrong!

I predict Giuliani as the Republican nominee in '08, though.
yeah, P Diddy...what up...No, not working for me, however I do find it amusing that now (since it is a day after election day) that the same amount of voters age 18-29 voted as last time, about 17 percent. I'm 19, and this was my first chance to vote, so I I voted Bush, hurray. Just goes to show you though that the dems idea that young kids are all a bunch of liberal democrats is incorrect. But nice try P Diddy, Rock the Vote (a democratic group), etc. Well, it makes me happy to rub it in the face of every ignorant radical Kerry supporter to point out that a young guy like myself is educated enough to understand how blatently wrong the daily show, MTV, and liberal media can be. Think about this very slowly and logically, most TV shows come from NYC and Southern California, now, both are liberal. So, we can conclude logically that both are indeed liberal.
Furthermore liberals generally have no basis for their ideals, morals or values, they are mostly unreligous people who base everything on how they feel. Short-sighted folk to say the least. The greatest paradox about a true liberal is that he or she can claim to accept everything and everyone, until that person's political agenda is challenged, then that person's mind is the farthest thing from acceptance.
Myself, I don't claim to accept all people. I know certain people are inerrantly bad. I have no clouded judgement, and though I question precepts, laws, and even my own religion, I do not waver in my convictions.
Kerry, showed no conviction in his religion (i.e. I'm a catholic but I support abortion, just not personally.) or his politics, for instance: he claimed to not support same sex marriage, and yet is recorded as voting for a bill to allow same sex marriage. There are countless other examples, but, what do I care...Bush already won.
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
Hillary Clinton is running for president in 2008. People say she has a good chance of winning but I am not going to jump to conclusions. I guess we will just wait and see....

I seriously doubt it. Unfortunately, I don't believe this country is ready for a female president. I'm not even sure how long it will take to get a minority president in office. This is an observation, not a statement of my own feelings.

Personally, I'd vote for a minority or woman candidate in a heartbeat if I felt the person were well qualified for the job. I'd love to see those kinds of barriers broken down in my lifetime. But I don't think the country as a whole is ready for it. We've come a long way in the last 50 or 100 years, but we have a long way to go as a society. There's still the underlying attitude that men are stronger and you need someone strong to be president. And still far too much racial bias exists for a non-white candidate to make a real run at the office. I sincerely hope that changes soon, but I'm doubtful.

That said, I don't really care for Hillary and wouldn't vote for her based on political principles. I think there are too many people who also dislike her for her to have a true shot at a nomination or victory, regardless of her gender. I could be wrong!

I predict Giuliani as the Republican nominee in '08, though.

Lets put it this way, If Colin Powell ran he would have my vote and the vote of many others :P. I would never Vote for Hillary Clinton through, She does nothing here for us in NY, Heck she does not even live here!.
In response to Rockinawsome
Rockinawsome wrote:
Myself, I don't claim to accept all people. I know certain people are inerrantly bad. I have no clouded judgement, and though I question precepts, laws, and even my own religion, I do not waver in my convictions.

I don't think this needs an argument, you know that's not true <_<

Racism = Evil
In response to Rockinawsome
Yes, have to be careful of all that "evil liberal media" like Fox, and CNN, and ABC. And don't forget those "evil liberal" democrats even though Bush's spending during his last term had nothing conservative about it. Just wondering where you get your news from, since it's all evil liberal media.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
I didn't let anyone make any decision for me because I chose not to decide. I don't have a choice to make, I refuse to choose and my not voting does not mean someone else voted for me. They voted for themselves. They didn't cast a ballot in my name. I am not affiliated with any decisions made because I am not part of this. I choose not to be part of it and no amount of you saying I am is going to make it so.

Well, sure you did; you allowed another's action by your inaction

And, I most certainly can complain. I don't know where you people get off telling me I don't have the right to speak my mind. I do. Look:

Bush is a bad president. I don't like Bush. I wish Kerry would have not quit before the end, the loser.

Then why didn't you vote for Kerry? <_<

See, I can still complain. I can rant and rave and throw a tantrum if I want to. I can protest and petition and march on Washington if I want to. I can becuase I have those rights granted to me by THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! I am a US citizen with certain UNAILIENABLE RIGHTS. That means I have EVERY RIGHT to speak my mind.

Well, no. The Consitution does give you the right to Freedom of Speech, but that's in the Bill of Rights. Your unalienabble rights are "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Also, the unalienable rights are only mentioned in the Declaration of Independance, not the constitution.

Not voting does not invalidate my citizenship here. It does not take away any of my rights, and you telling me I have no right is a lie, delusion and just plain rude. It's my life, my choice. You don't have to understand it, but you do have to accept it. If you don't like it, too friggen bad. Deal with it and quit telling me what I can and cannot do.

I don't remember saying that voting invalidated your citizenship... <_<

~X
In response to Wizkidd0123
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
Well, sure you did; you allowed another's action by your inaction

No, you don't get it, do you. Their action is theirs whether or not I voted. My not voting does not affect their vote. They voted for themselves, and themselves alone. They did not vote for me. I am not involved in this. It has nothing to do with me, because I don't want anything to do with it. I am no more affected by someone else's vote than a dead man is. According to this system, I don't even exist. Saying I gave someone else my vote is so far from the truth. I don't have a vote to give. I have no decisions to make. No one can make a decision that does not exist.

Then why didn't you vote for Kerry? <_<

I'll say it just one more time. I DO NOT VOTE.

Well, no. The Consitution does give you the right to Freedom of Speech, but that's in the Bill of Rights. Your unalienabble rights are "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Also, the unalienable rights are only mentioned in the Declaration of Independance, not the constitution.

Whatever document it's written is irrelivent. The fact remains that I do have the right. I have every right. Nothing you can say is going to take my rights away. I can complain.

I don't remember saying that voting invalidated your citizenship... <_<

Telling me I do not have the right to complain is saying I do not have the right to freedom of speech. Not having that right would basicly invalidate my citizenship, according to your view of things. Your basically telling me I don't deserve to be an American because I don't vote. Well ain't that sweet. I guess we don't need a president while you're here to make the rules.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
I am no more affected by someone else's vote than a dead man is.

Well, some dead men vote...
In response to Jon88
No they don't. People cast votes in their name. The dead don't vote.

~X
In response to Xooxer
People can vote early, and die before election day. Their votes usually get counted.
In response to OneFishDown
usaully....the key word :p

bush won... Yay for some, all hell for others...
In response to Mike H
I dislike Hillary Clinton as well, but a man being stronger has nothing really to do with it. She is not getting in a fist fight or anything (well, that's talking physically). If you mean mentally strong, such as going to wars and all, well, I think Hillary wouldn't have a problem with that. She is more of a "man" in my mind. She is a total tomboy. I mean, she must be strong mentally knowing her husband got [insert sexual saying] from Marilyn Monroe and still is married to him, I think she is mentally tough. Or maybe she is still married to him so she has more power and money, I dunno'.
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
I dislike Hillary Clinton as well, but a man being stronger has nothing really to do with it. She is not getting in a fist fight or anything (well, that's talking physically). If you mean mentally strong, such as going to wars and all, well, I think Hillary wouldn't have a problem with that. She is more of a "man" in my mind. She is a total tomboy. I mean, she must be strong mentally knowing her husband got [insert sexual saying] from Marilyn Monroe and still is married to him, I think she is mentally tough. Or maybe she is still married to him so she has more power and money, I dunno'.

your forgetting that hillary doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of winning
GokuDBZ3128 wrote:
I mean, she must be strong mentally knowing her husband got [insert sexual saying] from Marilyn Monroe and still is married to him, I think she is mentally tough.

hahahahaha
Sorry, but I wasn't aware that Bill Clinton was into necrophelia. You mean Monica Lewinski, right?

~X
In response to Jon88
Fox News is generally the most neutral news around. I don't trust CNN, the owners of that own MTV, BET, and the like. Bill O'Reilly once pointed out the monopoly on the media. I don't know, I'd have to do more research but I'm sure I could find it. My dad worked for ABC, and he can tell you first hand how liberal most of them are off screen. Bias is quite proliferate in the media. Radio is more balenced conservative/liberal than Television. It is the ignorance of the masses to believe otherwise.
In response to Xooxer
Yes, sorry. Was too long ago, I forget things I try and forget.
In response to Wizkidd0123
not racism, I didn't say inherently, I said inerrantly, meaning that people exist without any misgivings about being evil. Perhaps inerrantly wasn't the best term. How about, Unmistakably?
Racism is indeed evil. And I would not support it. All men are created equal under God. This I know to be true. It is what we do after we are created that makes us worthy of good or evil.
In response to Hedgemistress
Voting is not agreeing to abide by the majority vote. People who are oppinionated enough that they don't want to abide by the will of the others have more reason to vote than the others.

Hedgemistress wrote:
People who vote for a third party candidate with no shot at winning, though, give up the right to complain because they participate but they do so in a way that they have no predictable effect on the end. They're saying "I agree with the process... but don't care who wins."

Very, very wrong. It is that very thought, that disgusting idea, that keeps the third party candidates down. If everyone who thought they would do better voted for them as they should, they would have a better probability of winning even if still not good enough. I voted for the libertarian for my state's US senator, but that does not mean in any way that I do not care. It means that I care enough that I'm willing to go against the flow, which too many people are afraid to do.

So what if neither candidate is that good? Choose the lesser of two evils. What's so wrong with that? Less evil is more good, isn't it? If someone gives you a choice of getting kicked in the shin, shot in the kneecap, or a "mystery box" with one fate or the other written inside it... you'd have no problem picking, would you?

I would try to take out the assailent, probably taking the shot in the process. It's like the whole US policy of not giving in to terrorist demands, do whatever is best in general - not just what is best at the moment.

Nader voters are picking the box... and so they've got no right to complain when the nation gets shot in the kneecap.

Nader voters are going up to the person that gives them the kick/shot choice and kicking him in the nuts and taking the consequences. That is much better than saying "I'll take a kick in the shin please."
I agree.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8