ID:184104

Ok, just bought this thing to install City of Heroes. The first night I got it working and it let me install it but...I had to hook up an old one, then unhook it, and hook this one up while my pc was running. My problem is, when I hook up the old one, it works just fine...but since the version of CoH that I have is a DVD (Heroes vs. Villains edition) my old cd rom drive wont run it, and when I hook up the HP, my computer doesnt read the drive or somethin. I've got all my Master/Slave stuff right I'm pretty sure. This is the last place I knew to come, I'm havin some of the worst computer luck I've ever had in my life. Please Help!
Shyyk wrote:
I had to hook up an old one, then unhook it, and hook this one up while my pc was running.

O.o
Please say you didn't do that while your PC was running. Generally you turn a PC off, change its parts, and then turn it back on.
In response to Jon88
Yea I know.....but...it worked the first time haha
In response to Shyyk
Well, I dont know what else to do other than take it back...and I probably can't find the receipt..
In response to Shyyk
I hade the same problem with an external one.....I hate HP.
In response to FriesOfDoom
What'd you do? Take it back?
In response to Shyyk
Ok I just got a new one and I'm having the same problem...What the hell is the problem?
In response to Shyyk
You seriously should not be connecting IDE drives up to the computer while it's running.

Just... don't.

Apart from that I'm not sure, apart from triple-checking that all the cables are in properly, and your master/slave jumper settings and your BIOS settings are correct.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
You seriously should not be connecting IDE drives up to the computer while it's running.

Just... don't.

Apart from that I'm not sure, apart from triple-checking that all the cables are in properly, and your master/slave jumper settings and your BIOS settings are correct.

Yeah my dad pretty much chewed me out for that. I'm just gonna take it to him tomorrow and let him check everything...for right now I'm playin on my moms laptop.
In response to Shyyk
Shyyk wrote:
What'd you do? Take it back?

Yeah, I ended up getting a NEC internal one. I havent had any problems with it(although I installed it with the computer off >_>) It cost me only $30, its OEM.
In response to FriesOfDoom
I have a nice LiteOn drive. Works great for me and doesn't cost but around $30 retail. You can get them at about any store that sales computer stuff. Out of the 20 or so that I have put in computers, not a single one has died.