In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
Mac is to (other) as FireFox is to IE

You've hit the nail on the head. A good deal of websites aren't designed to render properly on it, only a minority of internet-browsers use it, and those who do are more than happy to rant on and on and on about how great it is...
In response to Elation
Didn't you notice the ":P"? Stop pigging backing on my joke. >:(
In response to IainPeregrine
Oh right! Sorry! So you're doing this 'funny' thing now, too? I mean, I've seen pictures of you before and you're funny looking but...
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
FriesOfDoom wrote:
Macs are good for movie editing too and they are pretty usr friendly. Everything else is true in his statement so....what do you mean Mike?

• [About PCs] You can open them and tinker around if you need to.

• This implies that you can't do so with Macs. Mac laptops and all-in-one desktops can be opened and tinkered with just as well as most PC equivalents. Mac towers are quite a bit easier to open and tinker with than most PC equivalents. No tools are required, and everything's laid out nicely with no cables getting in the way.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/expansion.html
  • Macs you have to send off to some repare shop and never see it again for a month or so.

• Of the very few issues I've ever had with my Macs (I've owned 4, and I'm responsible for 3 at work), I've had:
  • A dead hard drive replaced under warranty at the local Apple Store, taking about 20 minutes total with all the paperwork done.
  • A defective logic board (stopped recognizing one of the DIMM slots) replaced in 3 days round trip to and from the repair depot. I called on a Monday, they overnighted me a shipping box arriving Tuesday morning, I sent the machine that same day, and had it back in my hands on Thursday. I was surprised at the quick turnaround, and that's probably quicker than the average. Still a far cry from "a month or so."

In addition to the debunking, I'll simply add that current Macs can run everything an equivalently specced PC can (Windows, Linux, BSD, etc), plus it can run Mac OS X. I'll take my cake and eat it too, thank you.

Agreed but, as you said above you took it in and had someone replace the hard drive. Also by what you said above you've never replaced a HDD in a Mac labtop. I have and its hell. You have to remember all the screw spots because of the diffrent sizes; this is due to the fact that inorder to get to the HDD you have to unscrew almost everything off the labtop. Good idea on Apple's part. I bet alot of ppl just sent their Mac and lost $80 or more. While with a PC you just take off the buttom and a few other things.
In response to FriesOfDoom
FriesOfDoom wrote:
Agreed but, as you said above you took it in and had someone replace the hard drive. Also by what you said above you've never replaced a HDD in a Mac labtop. I have and its hell. You have to remember all the screw spots because of the diffrent sizes; this is due to the fact that inorder to get to the HDD you have to unscrew almost everything off the labtop. Good idea on Apple's part. I bet alot of ppl just sent their Mac and lost $80 or more. While with a PC you just take off the buttom and a few other things.

That's not a Mac problem as much as it is a laptop problem. Laptops, due to their nature, size constraints, cooling constraints, etc, are generally much more difficult to work with. Replacing laptop parts is seldom very fun.
In response to FriesOfDoom
You know what they say about making assumptions...

FriesOfDoom wrote:
Agreed but, as you said above you took it in and had someone replace the hard drive.

I took it in because it was under warranty. They covered the cost. The actual replacement took less than 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

Yes, the current Macbook does have an easily accessible, user-replaceable hard drive.

See, this is exactly the kind of misinformation I try to dispel. I don't care about getting into the religious platform wars -- I'll use what I like and it doesn't bother me if someone else hates it. But misinformation bugs me. A lot. ;) Since you seem to have prior experience, I'm guessing your case is more a lack of current information than zealotry. But the end result is the same - anybody reading it gets wrong information.

Also by what you said above you've never replaced a HDD in a Mac labtop. I have and its hell. You have to remember all the screw spots because of the diffrent sizes; this is due to the fact that inorder to get to the HDD you have to unscrew almost everything off the labtop.

I've replaced a hard drive in an iBook. I've also replaced the screen hinge in the same machine (dropped it onto a hard floor while open, oops!). I had no trouble with either, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't extremely comfortable with opening things up and putting them back together. It's pretty much impossible to the average user.

In case you hadn't seen it, this guide made the process all very easy for me. Print out each high resolution photo, one per page, and place each screw on the photo where it goes so you never lose track.

Good idea on Apple's part. I bet alot of ppl just sent their Mac and lost $80 or more. While with a PC you just take off the buttom and a few other things.

I tried to find out statistics on how many PC laptops have easily removable hard drives, but since there are a zillion different makers and models, that was pretty much impossible. A random sampling showed that many seemed to have them. Ok, good. And until last year, Apple's laptops didn't. Valid point if you're discussing the relative merits of previous models, but it really has no relevance when comparing current products.

By the way, this issue is one of many reasons why I almost always recommend the Macbook over the Macbook Pro when asked. The Pro still does not have a user-replaceable hard drive because it uses a 4-year-old case design. This argument always gets the Mac fanboys flustered (especially those who bought a Macbook Pro). They have an irrational need to defend their choice, and like many on both sides of the argument, that makes them zealots.
In response to Hikki
Hikki wrote:
Elation wrote:
However you don't address the one big negative factor of the Mac: That every mac owner seems to have an innate desire to proclaim how simply brilliant and amazing their macs are...

Now thats one person that KNOWS what we`re talking about.
PC people can talk about their hardware with other PC people.

Macs "Yeah mines purple"

While you slip on your brown glasses after putting on your black XL sweatshirt, so you can see which neon light your pointing at while showing your other "Ghetto" friends the neat little colors on the side of your custom made computer that crashes every 15 minutes.

Thanks, but I'll stick with my beautiful Macintosh computer.
In response to Strawgate
Some people have said that there isn't alot of software on the mac, that is completely bias, macs have a large amount of software just like a normal pc has, the only real thing macs lack is games also with Intel processors macs are getting alot of support and is being noticed again by game developers because of the untapped market of games.
In response to Yorae
Page: 1 2