An awful lot of my sprite work is pretty close to other games.

http://i.imgur.com/dwRWMrw.png

These are pretty close to Final Fantasy Legend in style/form

http://i.imgur.com/mmn0X8P.png

http://i.imgur.com/EOGL9Pk.png

This style was straight up modeled after the gameboy Zelda games with a more modernized perspective thrown in.

http://i.imgur.com/f8iYDXx.png

This was a pretty even mashup of Final Fantasy, Zelda, and a bunch of my own style thrown in. Those trees were deliberately done mimicking gameboy Zelda games, and the buildings were a 50/50 cross of Zelda (multiple games) and Final Fantasy II.

That chimney is a recolor of a chimney from Zelda. No hiding that.

The line between theft and creative license is blurred. All art is unoriginal. There are functional constraints to art that make the creation of something aesthetically pleasing have only a limited number of permutations. Furthermore, our ability as humans to have "original" ideas extends only as far as our ability to rehash ideas we've already experienced and personalize them to ourselves. In reality, what we think is original generally isn't because culture isn't a vacuum.

Mimicking a style isn't really considered by anyone with any actual sense (or an honest lawyer to knock sense into them) to be problematic. It's outright 1:1 copy-pasta theft that's problematic. It also comes down to how much you've touched up the original versus how much you've left intact. Just being able to see similarities isn't enough. A significant body of the work had to be lifted directly.
In response to Ter13
haha that line "Furthermore, our ability as humans to have "original" ideas extends only as far as our ability to rehash ideas we've already experienced and personalize them to ourselves. In reality, what we think is original generally isn't because culture isn't a vacuum." is sounds like something i always say. Not in that phrase, but its true. You can only think of what you have seen or experienced before. Just with our culture fixating on individualism people tend to forgot that or do not want to admit that as than they are going against our cultures expectations.

and were those all done by you? I definaltey liked those. I see some of the influences when you point them out.

And i also don't mind my art critized so don't mind him. I personally think my art is bad or medicore. It's definatley not "good" yet, and wont be probably forever because im just not an artist and can't picture things as a real artsy person could.
My only complaint is that it's blurry and you use photobucket. Imgur, my friend. It's the master race of image hosts at this moment.

<-- When an image host starts making my Adblocker look like this, it's well past time to just let it die. (this was from a single page load. When I clicked on your image, it blocked over 20 separate ads on page load. One or two is fine, but forcing me to load 20 separate impressions just to look at a single image? Yeah. No.)

The blurring looks like a hardware problem on your end. BYOND doesn't play nice with certain GPUs. Mostly intel chipsets I've noticed.
In response to Ter13
Yea but it's definitely not as good as the person who posted this. My art is smaller pixels but if I had to do art in those dimensions it would be terrible. I also struggle with animals. Especially crocodiles(for some reason). Actually basically anything I haven't drawn for 100+ hours banging my head against the wall I ussually can't do. Though I must admit I have gotten better, though my natural talent isn't as high as the poster.

Fun fact my dinosaur enemy in my game was originally supposed to be a tentacle monster. Two of the tentacles connected in a way we're it made like the perfect outline from a Dino's head to tail. So i was like screw it, Dino it is. Than while I was drawing that dinosaur I went into a wrong direction and made something that looked like a ninja turtle. So I copied and pasted that to work it on later and redid the dinosaur to previous point to start again.I don't really have that natural artsy direction. Where they know exactly how to make what they want to.
Hey, I really like your knight sprite, it is pretty good but if you change the way you think, it could be improved upon.

I'm not sure if your just looking for compliments or if you want to improve quicker and are open to constructive criticism, but as a fellow pixel artist I would just like to point some things out so you don't have to learn it all the long way.

Firstly, the armour colours aren't that bad, but it is all the same saturation.
You should use a program with a HSV colour picker instead of RGB, if you aren't already.
Surfaces lit by more sunlight tend to have their colour more washed out, so you need to reduce the saturation (and increase the value/brightness) as more sunlight hits it.

As Ter13 mentioned, the dithering is harming your piece.
The reason for this is because your sprite is already so small, and you are dithering with 2 colours that have too much contrast. At this size you should avoid dithering as much as possible, and only use it to smooth out a transition from 2 colours that are closer to eachother.

Try to avoid putting down lone pixels unless they are specular highlights, the two on the chest are hard to understand.

Your proportions and perspective aren't too bad, although the feet could use a bit of tweaking, but I understand how hard feet are since sometimes the pixels just don't exist to do it.
The light also doesn't reflect on some of the edges that I thought it would, yet exists in areas that would be nowhere near perpendicular with the light source (mainly the upper legs).
I'm not sure if the knight is facing head on or if its a top-down view but if it is the latter then the legs are a little too long.

I've used your sprite as a reference to make one as an example of some of the preaching I was just doing, so you can decide for yourself whether its worth listening to or not.

Oh and good luck on your pixel art journey

Page: 1 2