ID:180094

this has more than likly been asked before... but i couldn't find it (i searched back 300 days).

I need to know who i could let the user create an obj, only from a certain list of course. all i really need to know is where to begin. i could figure out the rest of what i want, i just need the creation thing

i looked at the creat verb in s_admin, and i don't know if that's what i need...

please reply if this message is not making sense... i'm tired.
Nebathemonk wrote:
this has more than likly been asked before... but i couldn't find it (i searched back 300 days).

I need to know who i could let the user create an obj, only from a certain list of course. all i really need to know is where to begin. i could figure out the rest of what i want, i just need the creation thing

i looked at the creat verb in s_admin, and i don't know if that's what i need...

Try this:

// Create a global list of all monsters you want to be able
// To create
var/list/Monsters = list(/mob/bat, /mob/cat, /mob/yeuch)

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)
var/tmp/WhichMonster = input(src,"What monster do you wish to create?", "Pick a monster!") in Monsters // Ask which monster they wish to create by referring to the Monsters list
M = new/[WhichMonster] // Create the monster (the [WhichMonster] has the path)
M.loc = src.loc // Set its location
oview() << "[M] materializes"

This is completely untested, it may or may not work (Note you have to make the mobs in the Monsters list like you do any other mob for it to work

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)
var/tmp/WhichMonster = input(src,"What monster do you wish to create?", "Pick a monster!") in Monsters // Ask which monster they wish to create by referring to the Monsters list

This is completely untested, it may or may not work (Note you have to make the mobs in the Monsters list like you do any other mob for it to work

Alathon

doesnt work, atom types are read only, and must be hard coded
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

Alathon

Oh, well, In any case spuzzums GM_Create does most of what youd want

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

Alathon

Alathon

Well, he could just create a little list, an input, and an action for each item in the list

but im sure he doesnt know how to do that yet.
and i dont feel like showing him =)
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

Alathon

Alathon

Well, he could just create a little list, an input, and an action for each item in the list

input and lists? like a login class choosing? i could do that, i just don't know how the obj would be created out of nothing... or maybe just moved...
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

Alathon

Alathon

Im just saying, he can look at some of Spuzzums code. You just need to change the M = /mob/[WhichMonster] to this :

switch(WhichMonster) // Were now looking at the vars of WhichMonster
if("Bat") // If you chose Bat from the list
M = new/mob/bat
if("Cat")
M = new/mob/cat
etc etc

Also, in the list (var/list/Monsters) change the stuff in list frm mob/bat etc to "Bat", "Cat" so it would look like this

var/list/Monsters = list("Bat", "Cat", "etc")

Hope that helps
In response to Nebathemonk
Easy
just put

new /obj/apple(usr)
or

new /obj/apple(usr.loc)

or if you need to change vars of the obj, put

var/obj/apple/A = new(usr)
A.something = something

or

var/obj/apple/A = new(usr.loc)
A.something = something

and you can even go way more into depth with it, those are just some simple ways.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Easy
just put

new /obj/apple(usr)
or

new /obj/apple(usr.loc)

or if you need to change vars of the obj, put

var/obj/apple/A = new(usr)
A.something = something

or

var/obj/apple/A = new(usr.loc)
A.something = something

and you can even go way more into depth with it, those are just some simple ways.

thanks
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

This is very close but not quite. The creation part would be like this:

M = new WhichMonster()

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

Alathon

Alathon

Im just saying, he can look at some of Spuzzums code. You just need to change the M = /mob/[WhichMonster] to this :

M = new/mob/bat
if("Cat")
M = new/mob/cat
etc etc

No, you don't. Creating a whole action for each item is a complete waste of time and code.

Just do M = new WhichMonster()

FireKing is right when he says that atom types are hard-coded, but that has nothing to do with the new command and in no way means that you can't pass a variable value to new.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Nebathemonk wrote:

Try this:

// To create

mob
verb
Create(mob/M)

Alathon

Alathon

M = new/mob/bat
if("Cat")
M = new/mob/cat
etc etc

No, you don't. Creating a whole action for each item is a complete waste of time and code.

Just do M = new WhichMonster()

FireKing is right when he says that atom types are hard-coded, but that has nothing to do with the new command and in no way means that you can't pass a variable value to new.

Then I was right the first time, as Deadron indicated before, sorry. I almost had it :P i had M = new/[WhichMonster] instead of new WhichMonster() hehe

Alathon