ID:154457

for my battle system i want P vr. P, how could i do this? i need them both be able to choose some thingis during the battle, not just punching each other... i need a turn based P vr. P enegine like thing i guess

any one know what i'm saying? any one have an idea? any one have answer?
Is this for your Heroes of Mighty Magic game? (Which, by the way, I think I'm going to like!)

If you are trying to simulate the HoM&M 1-3 style of battle, would set up a board, place random blocks of rough terrain, and place the hero's troops.

Then, you would use some vars on both sides: turn, opponent.

opponent is set when the battle begins.

turn is either TRUE or FALSE, and is switched around.

Also, you may want to have some Choosers as superhighways of information, such as spell power effects and stuff like that.

Good luck, and page me if you need more help!
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
Is this for your Heroes of Mighty Magic game? (Which, by the way, I think I'm going to like!)

If you are trying to simulate the HoM&M 1-3 style of battle, would set up a board, place random blocks of rough terrain, and place the hero's troops.

Also, you may want to have some Choosers as superhighways of information, such as spell power effects and stuff like that.

yes, it is for my mighty magic game, which i hope many will like... but sadly i have to start going to school again tomorow so i will have to cut back on it about 7 hours...
In response to Nebathemonk
HoMM was one of the most entertaining wargames ever. (HoMM4 is due out soon). I wish you luck in making a game in that spirit.

As to your question: turn-based battle with several users.

I am currently working on a system to handle that basic concept. However, I just started with that. If I figure anything useful out, I'll let you know.

If you have 2 connections to the internet, 2 computers, and 2 BYOND accounts - then that makes testing a WHOLE lot easier. This way, you can host (and connect!) to your game from one machine, and you can connect to the game from the other machine. Both my computers are in the same room, so it's quite easy. This makes testing a breeze (kinda) - and you really learn alot about how BYOND code works in a multi-user environment. If you're new to BYOND (like me), and you have the resources (2 computers, etc.), then I suggest this to anyone.

- matt

Nebathemonk wrote:
Lord of Water wrote:

yes, it is for my mighty magic game, which i hope many will like... but sadly i have to start going to school again tomorow so i will have to cut back on it about 7 hours...
In response to plourde603
plourde603 wrote:
If you have 2 connections to the internet, 2 computers, and 2 BYOND accounts - then that makes testing a WHOLE lot easier. This way, you can host (and connect!) to your game from one machine, and you can connect to the game from the other machine. Both my computers are in the same room, so it's quite easy. This makes testing a breeze (kinda) - and you really learn alot about how BYOND code works in a multi-user environment. If you're new to BYOND (like me), and you have the resources (2 computers, etc.), then I suggest this to anyone.

Hahahahahahhahahahaha!

That made me laugh! That is so silly.. Why not just use two separate keys for testing?

LOL
In response to Vortezz

Hahahahahahhahahahaha!

That made me laugh! That is so stupid.. Why not just use two separate keys for testing?

LOL

well that was mean...
In response to Nebathemonk
Ya know, the old brain sometimes doesn't work so well. I was ASSuming that BYOND worked like some other internet game servers - each client needs a unique IP. It never occurred to me (until now) that the Dream Daemon doesn't rely on such things for it's connections.

Well, guess it's time to put in that application to McDonald's...

- matt
plourde603 wrote:
Ya know, the old brain sometimes doesn't work so well. I was ASSuming that BYOND worked like some other internet game servers - each client needs a unique IP. It never occurred to me (until now) that the Dream Daemon doesn't rely on such things for it's connections.

- matt

You making fun of Mcdonalds....punk..

<font color=red>NADREW</font>
In response to Nadrew
wow - I just can't win today... gonna cut my losses.

Nadrew wrote:
You making fun of Mcdonalds....punk..

<font color=red>NADREW</font>
In response to Lord of Water
ok... more help is needed

i have declared the units as objs, so how can i let the player control them, for their turn, then return them to them selves

i may not be trying hard enough but within just a few hours my steam ran out and my head hit a rock... and i'm stuck at the very begining...

this byond stuff just gets really complicated at the higher levels
plourde603 wrote:

Oh. I wasn't trying to be mean, by the way. I was just... informing you of the capabilities... With.. a bit of... forc...

*runs away*

- matt