ID:154028

Anyone ever thought about making a BYOND card game. Maybe just regular card games like poker, blackjack ect.. or maybe trading card games like DragonballZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic the Gathering, and Pokemon. Here is what I was thinking (i'll use Yu-Gi-Oh as an example, and for those who don't know, a YuGiOh match is considered a duel):

You login and choose your character then a starting deck. Then you have to travel the world dueling others (NPC's as well as other players) to gain cards to improve your deck.
You can also add a more of a exploration element by making obstacles, Example: You have to go search for parts to make a boat to travel to another continent, and some of the parts may be held by duelers that you have to defeat to recieve them.

What ya think?
there are plenty of byond card games, and to my memory, there was a very famous one a while back, and everyone played it all the time, but for the life of me, i cant remember the name, the name escapes me!

[edit]
it might have been delve?!?
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
there are plenty of byond card games, and to my memory, there was a very famous one a while back, and everyone played it all the time, but for the life of me, i cant remember the name, the name escapes me!

[edit]

I have haven't been around BYOND too long, but I have been here a good bit, and I remember a few BYOND card games like BlackJack but never anything like a Trading Card Game
Stimulus wrote:
Anyone ever thought about making a BYOND card game. Maybe just regular card games like poker, blackjack ect.. or maybe trading card games like DragonballZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic the Gathering, and Pokemon. Here is what I was thinking (i'll use Yu-Gi-Oh as an example, and for those who don't know, a YuGiOh match is considered a duel):

You login and choose your character then a starting deck. Then you have to travel the world dueling others (NPC's as well as other players) to gain cards to improve your deck.
You can also add a more of a exploration element by making obstacles, Example: You have to go search for parts to make a boat to travel to another continent, and some of the parts may be held by duelers that you have to defeat to recieve them.

What ya think?

id say it sounds like then FFIV mini card gaem, if there was one like that id be well loving it :D
Anyone ever thought about making a BYOND card game. Maybe just regular card games like poker, blackjack ect..

I was thinking about it just this weekend, actually. Although, I'd really like some larger, 64x64 cards to work with instead of the usual 32x32 ones, which are too small. Maybe I'll rip the ones off Solitaire.

or maybe trading card games like DragonballZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic the Gathering, and Pokemon.

Heck no! We have enough DBZ crap already, we don't need more. (Humble opinions.) BYOND needs some variety, not more fan games. There is a point where it goes from being a fan game to "just plain stupid", even.
A few people have mentioned wanting to create a card collecting game, but I don't think anyone has ever finished one. I've pondered making one myself. As long as you create original material, I don't see any reason not to make such a game.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Heck no! We have enough DBZ crap already, we don't need more. (Humble opinions.) BYOND needs some variety, not more fan games. There is a point where it goes from being a fan game to "just plain stupid", even.

Well I agree that DBZ games are getting out of hand, but I believe that its only because of all the rips, DBZ shouldn't stop all together, just cut down on the amount. If DBZ games stop as you want them to then we would miss out on games like Fighters of Legend II, GT Genisis 2, Secret Fusion Chronicles, and any other actually good NON RIPPED game that they come out with.
In response to Stimulus
It's still very very sad to see 20 million DBZ derivatives. It's not DBZ rips that are overused, it's DBZ, period.
Ive actually thought of making an actual card game with real life cards for The House of Morte. Ive written the basic rules on how stuff would be used and such. But a card game like that on BYOND doesnt sound bad either. And yes, original art material would be needed.
In response to FIREking
[edit]

Hrm. While the vast majority of people who were around about a year ago seem to have trouble remembering exactly what Delve! was (although of course just about everyone seems to remember the name) and I've heard it attributed as some pretty interesting types of games, this one takes the cake.
In response to Leftley
Hrm. While the vast majority of people who were around about a year ago seem to have trouble remembering exactly what Delve! was (although of course just about everyone seems to remember the name) and I've heard it attributed as some pretty interesting types of games, this one takes the cake.

I'll summon my Barbarian for 300 HP, and throw in a Flash spell while I do it!

Hee hee. =P
In response to Foomer
I was thinking about it just this weekend, actually. Although, I'd really like some larger, 64x64 cards to work with instead of the usual 32x32 ones, which are too small. Maybe I'll rip the ones off Solitaire.

Hey, my 32x32 card icons are clean and legible! =P

Kinda funny, though -- I was working on making browser-based card icons just last night -- they would look as authentic as real playing cards, and be dynamically generated to boot. With some JavaScript hijinks, I could allow people to click, drag, etc. all of the cards, and have it transmit to the running BYOND session the actions that the players were taking.

or maybe trading card games like DragonballZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic the Gathering, and Pokemon.

Exactly. If you're going to make a trading card game, make it original.

If you're going to make a playing card game, I welcome it with open arms. (What I fail to understand is why people are so averted to making single-player card games in BYOND! Solitaire, Bowling... tons of fun ones. I downloaded a freeware collection a while back with dozens of card games that would be fun in a BYOND environment, even if they were single player -- I'll see if I can dig up the URL (or at least put up a download of it on my webpage).
I too have thought of making a BYOND-based card game, but it's not exactly in the trading card sense -- more like in the Talisman sense, where you draw a card from a deck, read the effects, and then put it down on the board.

Those games are always fun.

Sample cards:

"EVENT: PESTILENCE

A pestilence washes over all of the players. Each player loses 1 life."

"LOCATION: SHRINE OF ETHER

You discover a Shrine of Ether. Take four tokens and place them on this square. When any player lands here by an exact roll, he or she may take one token, and gain a random spell from the deck."

"SPELL: TELEPORT

This spell is an emergency spell that may be used at any time. The caster rolls 1d6: this is the number of spaces that the caster must move in either direction around the board -- the caster may choose the direction after the die is rolled. This spell is discarded after use."
I have also ,alsoed (Hehe) thought about making a card game.

BUT, what do you mean trading card game? Maybe that, people would BUY cards for BYONDimes? And then trade them with thier friends, etc. ?

I've said too much....
In response to Sariat
BUT, what do you mean trading card game? Maybe that, people would BUY cards for BYONDimes? And then trade them with thier friends, etc. ?

Yep, or just for free, where you earn new cards as you play (say, you get a new random card after every match you play, regardless of who wins).
In response to Spuzzum
Daz whack, w0rd.

Anyways, enough of using my Ebonics Translator, lol. That would suck......
In response to Spuzzum
Despite the fact that it has cards (hundreds and hundreds of them), I wouldn't quite call Talisman a card game any more than, say, Monopoly is. There are card games that have boards--such as Cribbage--but I wouldn't call Talisman one of them.
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
Despite the fact that it has cards (hundreds and hundreds of them), I wouldn't quite call Talisman a card game any more than, say, Monopoly is. There are card games that have boards--such as Cribbage--but I wouldn't call Talisman one of them.

But Monopoly's play isn't centred around cards -- Talisman's is. Sure, Talisman is a board game, but I consider it as much of a card game as I do a board game. It's just not the same kind of card game -- that is, you don't possess hands for each separate player.
damnit i was gonna do that with magic
I am already making a dbz card game =P
Page: 1 2