ID:153354

Dark Ball Thunder has a new coder and we have decided to ask you on some game ideas...

If you have any ideas for Dark Ball Thunder a MMORPG,please post them here!Thanks
come on people? no ideas?
In response to DBThunderProduction
Be a bit more specific... what's the game about? What kind of ideas are you looking for?
In response to Crispy
Basically, we are looking for ideas which modify current standard systems of an MMORPG to make it so people can keep doing it over and over and it still seems new. If you have certain ideas on how battle,race,class etc then go ahead and respond as well
In response to LilTrunks
The way I see it, anything that doesn't change over time will get old, theres no way around it.
In response to Jotdaniel
I might have some ideas for your game but I have to know details like time periods, Point of game, stuff like that.
If you can tell me this stuff i would have some ideas that i would love to see in a game but my ability to code has stopped me so just release these details and ill show you what i have
In response to Pyro2013
Pyro2013 wrote:
I might have some ideas for your game but I have to know details like time periods, Point of game, stuff like that.
If you can tell me this stuff i would have some ideas that i would love to see in a game but my ability to code has stopped me so just release these details and ill show you what i have

Well basically the time period is around in midevil times.The point of the game is kind of what Lil Trunks said before in this thread.
64x64 icons. 500+ combinations of armor, bodysize, fighting style, hairs, etc etc. Visuals! MMORPG games are all about the ability to make yourself Unique compared to everyone else. If you have only the makings for 100 or less possible combinations, then it gets less interesting...But the more you have, then players can come back..Like say, one character I want to be a knight with a large sword and tower shield, and have a medium body build...then later on I could make a new character and even be a pirate, skinny body build, with a large spear...Visuals are key! Yeah lots of visuals done right can bog down byond in certain cases...say lots of pixel animations...larger icon amounts/sizes....BUt! The rewards are very good...

So.
A: Visuals!
B: Central storyline every player can be involved in, Yet not to 'detached' from gameplay as to where You can go through the game without ever being effected by it...
In response to XxDohxX
ah medieval, add enormour amounts of character classes, dont forget necromancers, paladins, fighters, clerics, wizards etc etc
I don't have any specific ideas, but here's what I'd like to see in a BYOND game sometime:

1) Exploration, be it strategy, RPG, action, or whatnot. There needs to be places to explore.

2) Discovery, something to find while you're out exploring.

3) Customizability. You can never find everything there is to find if there's always more being added.

The key to making a game interesting, thus increasing its replay value (which is a must for online games), is to keep introducing new things. In the long run, you might be doing the same thing over and over, but as long as there are new ways of doing that same thing that are sufficiently different from the old ways of doing it, then it'll stay interesting.

A lot of games do that with combat. The foundation of most RPGs today is combat. But to keep it from being the same old "push button, do damage, take damage, repeat" over and over, they keep adding new elements to the combat as the game progresses. That way things stay interesting, even though you're basically doing the same thing over and over. You're just doing it differently every time.

This can be done in other things besides combat though. Another element RPGs commonly have is exploration, where you explore what's available until you find the key to unlock a new area to explore, exploring that new area until you find another key to unlock a third area and so on. As long as each new area is different from the last area, and each new key is found through different means, there should be plenty to keep the player busy. If players can add their own areas to that lot through customizability, it adds even more replay value to the game.

That's my take on things.
In response to Foomer
Even no-brainer hack and slash games can get the exploration part by adding randomly-generated artifacts, terrain, and creatures, provided your generators are really good and variegated. Diablo 2, for instance, appeals to the hardcore Killer primarily, but also appeals to the noble Explorer and the proud Achiever.
In response to Nefereta
All these are very good ideas and we will put them into effect as well as we can.We are also taking any ideas you still have so post 'em.
In response to Foomer
I might as well add my take on exploration.

Basically I don't see things like "to get to Town2 you have to be strong and solve puzzles" as exploration, it's just annoying stuff designed to draw a few more hours out of the game.
It's alright in a story based console type RPG, but I don't like it in MMORPGs and the like.
To me cities/towns fall under the area of pre-explored locations. If a place has developed into a city, then it's not going to be this major task to get there (unless it's something like a hidden city).

Now the real exploration should fall off the beaten track. Go into the forest, find a hidden temple, then start doing the puzzles to enter stuff.

I guess my point is don't try and make exploration a required part of everything and don't throw it into stuff just too beef it up.
In response to Nefereta
It's a good thing we had those Paladins around in the middle ages to keep those Necromancers from running amuck.
In response to Foomer
Some interesting examples of the Exploration / Discovery thing are the games Deus Ex (a shooter with RPG elements and stealth) and Knights of the Old Republic. In Deus Ex, when you come to a locked door, there are generally three ways to get past it: lockpicking it through electronic or mechanical means (two different skills for different situations), blasting it open (if it can be blasted open), or exploring to find the key or password. When you come upon a tough group of enemies, you can usually shoot them full of holes (or heavy explosives), or find an alternative method through sneaking past them, or maybe hacking a turret or robot to do the killing for you.

The point is that you could get through the game just shooting things up, and going straight through. However, if you take the time to search around, you're likely to find more ways to do the killing (or avoiding the killing). One mission had you against a base full of heavy-duty military-grade bots. You could shoot them up, but if you spent the time searching, you'll find conveniently-placed heavy weaponry (VERY heavy weaponry), or a hangar containing a few other military-grade bots to do the dirty work for you.

Knights of the Old Republic is an RPG, but the concepts are the same. You can brute-force your way through, you can hack into computers to disable tough spots or blow up enemies, or you can repair broken-down robots to do some work for you.

Obviously, this kind of stuff makes playing through the game a second or third time more interesting.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
Some interesting examples of the Exploration / Discovery thing are the games Deus Ex (a shooter with RPG elements and stealth) and Knights of the Old Republic. In Deus Ex, when you come to a locked door, there are generally three ways to get past it: lockpicking it through electronic or mechanical means (two different skills for different situations), blasting it open (if it can be blasted open), or exploring to find the key or password. When you come upon a tough group of enemies, you can usually shoot them full of holes (or heavy explosives), or find an alternative method through sneaking past them, or maybe hacking a turret or robot to do the killing for you.

The point is that you could get through the game just shooting things up, and going straight through. However, if you take the time to search around, you're likely to find more ways to do the killing (or avoiding the killing). One mission had you against a base full of heavy-duty military-grade bots. You could shoot them up, but if you spent the time searching, you'll find conveniently-placed heavy weaponry (VERY heavy weaponry), or a hangar containing a few other military-grade bots to do the dirty work for you.

That level also has lots of little ways you can make traps for the bots. My favourite method was to use my silenced sniper rifle from the tops of the storage areas to shoot explosive barrels as the bots came near them. LAMs also work just fine, though you have to go onto the ground to do it...

Just goes to show you what a wide set of physics and equipment can do for you; I've always considered a game's physical model to be second in importance only to the wide range of gameplay itself.
for an MMORPG there can't be a really intreaging story. if you have a story, then everyone has to do the same story. the way i see it, you either have 1 large world, and have many diffrent quests you may complete while exploring the world.
there could be a story but it would be very braod, such as "destroy evil, bring peace." or "Save the world from the mysterious fog!" but nither of them could actully be accomplished. if they were then the game would end.
This is just my look at stories for mmorpgs.
In response to DarkView
Using common sense when designing games helps, too :)
In response to Redslash
I disagree. I think overarching stories are definately possible in a MMORPG with the proper setup. I don't think so much its overarching stories that don't fit into MMORPGs right as much as the overarching stories we are used to with single player rpg don't fit in right. If you try to port the classic Kill-the-foozle-save-the-princess plot into a MMORPG its not going to work, I agree. There is but one foozle and but one princess and a whole army of heroes. That's where you wind up with MMORPGs where players keep killing the same foozle over and over again and it just keeps coming back with the princess.

Consider this, though, for an overarching story. The forces of evil are being gathered up by the dreadlord K'Graakii. Orcs, Trolls, Dragons: They're all pouring from the mountain tops to join his evil army of darkness. Already small dispatches of troops are raiding and burning outlying villages. The kingdoms of good have put forth the call: all able-bodied men are to report to their local castles to be equipped for war. An epic battle between good and evil is quickly starting.
Now obviously that plot could use quite a bit of work on many different levels. However, its an example and brevity is more important than quality. How does this plot differ from the kill the foozle plot? Well, they both have a single main foe. However, the second plot has many many minor foes. There are going to be many many generals under the command of K'Graakii. And he'll have some powerful advisors who're almost as strong as him. One player might kill the Ratlord Horfok. Another might kill General Zaggat. They'll both have killed a foozle, but different ones.
Another difference is the first plot presumably centers around a single location: the foozles fortress. The second plot spans the world. In any kingdom there is going to be battles occuring. That means that you don't have 400 players climbing the foozles tower, you have 20 players fighting battles in every location.
With the second plot, there is potential for small failures without a total failure. In most single player rpgs your failure means the end of the world. But you have saves, so if you do end the world you can restart from before that happens. That doesn't quite work in MMORPGs. However, if the players fail and a city gets burned, there are still other cities left.
You said something about when the overarching quest is completed the game is over. This need not be true at all. In this example, lets say the players push back the forces of evil and kill K'Graakii. The monsters flee back to the mountains and good reigns supreme. Why does that have to be the end? Perhaps a temporal rift opens up and demons start pouring out. Maybe the kingdoms get greedy dividing up the spoils of war and go to war with each other. Maybe a new continent is discovered, and the brave young men rush off to explore it. Or even better, perhaps the human army doesn't win. Maybe K'Graakii overwhelms the players forces and enslaves humanity. Now the players must form outposts in the wilderness or secret rebellions in the cities. After a long time perhaps they'll overthrow the monsters, but until then its a constant struggle. If you keep the story arches from being completed at all quickly and you keep most story arches somewhat reasonable in scope and magnitude you can just keep making more.
The real world is pretty massively multiplayer. And we have huge historic events. Therefore it only makes sense that something so much less massively multiplayer like a game could still have overriding storylines.
I think an mmorpg like this would be a blast to make. Sadly I lack permanent hosting capablities or the money to pay for a server so I'll continue focusing on smaller scale games. However, I do encourage those of you working on mmorpgs to consider overarching stories. :)
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Just goes to show you what a wide set of physics and equipment can do for you; I've always considered a game's physical model to be second in importance only to the wide range of gameplay itself.

A good physical model CREATES a wide range of gameplay....

That reminds me of this one level in a game, Marble Blast. One person created a high-scores mod for it, and one level, the rollercoaster, provided a lot of competition. It was a rollercoaster with a good deal of track that would go over or under other pieces. People would continually jump down pieces, shaving large portions off of their time. This continued until someone realized you could jump from the starting position to the finish line in one jump.
Page: 1 2