ID:1523122

How do you make a crafting system with a window? How does a item get tranfered to a window?

Let me tell you what i imagine. I see 12 boxes and it's like a minecraft building system you put one material that you want for the handle in the middle then you put the material you want the sword to be in the two other spaces. After that there will be a label or a window of some kind that will show the weapon you have created. From the materials i want the system to determine what the str and endurance is of the weapon.

How can i do a system like this?
12 isn't a perfect square. Your menu would be either longer than it is wide, or the exact opposite.

You can do this by working with grids in an interface file, or HUD objects.

For this style of crafting a lot of work goes into defining recipes. For example, if you make a torch in Minecraft there are technically 8 different recipes (crafting bench has 6, inventory has 2). You need to account for spacial relevance. Bottom left and middle left, bottom middle and middle, bottom right and middle right, etc. With 12 boxes you will be defining a metric ton of recipes.

As for str and "endurance", which I think you mean durability, that can be done whenever New() is called on the object. An easy way to calculate durability would be to assign each material a durability weight value, and then add them together and apply it to the tool. Same with strength.
In response to Reformist
Reformist wrote:
For this style of crafting a lot of work goes into defining recipes. For example, if you make a torch in Minecraft there are technically 8 different recipes (crafting bench has 6, inventory has 2). You need to account for spacial relevance. Bottom left and middle left, bottom middle and middle, bottom right and middle right, etc. With 12 boxes you will be defining a metric ton of recipes.

That's a bad way to handle recipes, and minecraft doesn't define its recipes like that. Unless I'm mistaken. Minecraft identifies "shapes" and compares them to a list of recipes.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
Reformist wrote:

That's a bad way to handle recipes, and minecraft doesn't define its recipes like that. Unless I'm mistaken. Minecraft identifies "shapes" and compares them to a list of recipes.

I never said it was a good way to handle them. I just remember reading that they did it that way. It could be different now, but I don't really follow Minecraft.
Only reason I replied was cause you mentioned/suggested a horrible way to handle recipes - which minecraft never did on top of that.
Maybe I was reading about shapeless recipes, I guess.
For storing and recognizing recipes, design an algorithm that uses the crafting elements and their positions in relation to each other to identify the final product. PM me if you want some suggestions on how to go about doing this.
if you were to do it based on shape you would need to have each box labeled a number then do a check to see if there were items of the appropriate class in each numbered boxes according to the shape and items required by the recipe *insert long detailed speech about how you use lists for this and grids*