ID:136645

I'm just curious, but I'd like this implemented into the next copy of BYOND... it'd REALLY help alot of us out here. Make it so programmers can disable macros in their games. I've logged into tons of games where all people do is macro everything. Heck, I've been writing tons of different things to "stop" macroing in my own games. However, people seem to get around it. If Dan or Tom could include it in BYOND, it would help alot of us (and I'm sure, make alot of others mad, cuz they'd have to actually work to do stuff in the games) *will probably be seeing flame responses* Anywho, it's just my two sense.

I really believe it could help BYOND. Anyway, if you have any oppinions on the subject, please respond. :)

~Griswald~
Griswald wrote:
I'm just curious, but I'd like this implemented into the next copy of BYOND... it'd REALLY help alot of us out here. Make it so programmers can disable macros in their games. I've logged into tons of games where all people do is macro everything. Heck, I've been writing tons of different things to "stop" macroing in my own games. However, people seem to get around it. If Dan or Tom could include it in BYOND, it would help alot of us (and I'm sure, make alot of others mad, cuz they'd have to actually work to do stuff in the games) *will probably be seeing flame responses* Anywho, it's just my two sense.

I really believe it could help BYOND. Anyway, if you have any oppinions on the subject, please respond. :)

~Griswald~

What have you tried to stop macroing? It seems to work well enough for me. Timer's work wonders.

Alathon\\
Even if BYOND did not have macros, there is nothing they could do about people using 3rd party macro programs. There are simple and effective ways to prevent macroing actions from within your code that would block all forms of taking actions faster than the player should.
What's the problem? The vast majority of commercial games go out of their way to make control interfaces easily customizeable so that players can perform actions at a touch. Action games, strategy games, roleplaying games--everything! The solution usually isn't to stop macroing, it's to encourage it--players shouldn't have to hunt through verb panels or type out twenty-letter-long commands (although Dream Seeker itself supports command expansion to prevent most actions from taking more than four or five keystrokes--counting return) to perform actions. If you want to whine "It's a matter of skill!", fine, go log into an FPS game, but instead of using the WASD or the arrow keys or the mouse for movement like some macroing pansy, pop open the console and start entering commands manually.

Here's a better thought: Make it so programmers can SET UP MACROS THEMSELVES so all players can take advantage of them, since they're vastly more sensible an input method than flipping through half a dozen verb panels! Oh, wait, BYOND already does that--problem solved!
hmm... lemme restart what I was sayin.... mebbe I didn't put a lotta of thought into the post. Anywho, I haven't even been with byond a single year yet. In fact, I think I'm just now hitting half a year with byond. However, I have tried different things to stop macroing in my game (There are no "long" commands to type, it's practically point and click), however, I'm not "an expert" in stopping these kinda things.

In fact, I keep to myself and shun help generally. ;) But that's because I like to troubleshoot and keep doin things on my own before I go to someone else. Anyway, I didn't mean too piss anyone off with my last post. ;p It was simply a small idea to save time and also help me out. (yeah, go ahead, call me lazy, I don't care). Anyway, sorry if I started off on the wrong foot. I was just giving my 2 cents worth. :P

~Griswald~
In response to Griswald
Here's the simple way to do it.

if(Wait)
return
Wait = 1

//Do your stuff here

sleep(HowLongBeforeYouAllowItToRunAgain)
Wait = 0
In response to Griswald
I hear what you're saying. (My main macro wish is to have different macro sets we could save for different games... hint, hint.) If Tom and Dan could quickly and easily code in a macro off switch, that'd be great. But since there are ways around it we'll look at those first, and let them work on coding other stuff.

I think the best solution is as Leftley said: make the important actions in your game quick and easy to begin with, so that macroing them won't give much advantage. We can give tips on how to do that if you like, just tell us what you've already got in the code problems section or something.

Z