lol, what? Noooooo

just switch to MousePosition like I did?
No, I mean like, I don't care anywaaaays. xD....

Was going for the massive-rpg-that-never-gets-finished-and-is-left-in-a-folder -for-months kind of thing....
Oh well, never give up, never surrender!
I believe that the issue with the KotH gametype is due to the huge amount of calls to the proc that I use to update the scoreboard. The code itself isn't very efficient in that area, so I'll clean it up and make it a bit more efficient and hopefully it should be about 1/4 as cpu intensive.
If I don't shoot, the mouse appears to move the turret fine. However, I can't fire on command and often my tank will get stuck firing repeatedly on its own. I can't aim as it fires so I can't take advantage of it. I tried changing the options to the keyboard, but I can't aim with the buttons at all anymore. Right does nothing and left just stutters a couple degrees. The mouse overrides.

I got the null.watchers runtime during a second team deathmatch. I also got the following runtime at the end of the previous one:

runtime error: Cannot read null.team
proc name: end game (/proc/end_game)
source file: 1_procs.dm,872
usr: null
src: null
call stack:
end game("yellow")
set scores("")
Hobo-61 (/mob/AI): death(Beam-85 (/mob/AI), 1)
Hobo-61 (/mob/AI): damage(Beam-85 (/mob/AI), 20)
bump(Hobo-61 (/mob/AI), 2)
pixel move(13, -1)
movement()
: movement()
: movement()
: movement loop()
: movement loop()
Round Over! yellow wins!
runtime error: Cannot read null.watchers
proc name: respawn (/mob/proc/respawn)
source file: 1_procs.dm,682
usr: null
src: ACWraith (/mob)
call stack:
ACWraith (/mob): respawn(0)
end game("yellow")

On another session, I configured my tank and got the null.watchers runtime. In addition, I pressed escape as the screen went black to try different controls. The menu opened, let me choose and closed fine. However, I got stuck with a black screen finding a safe area.
Yeah, that bug's been fixed and it's actually going to happen on the first time you respawn without anyone killing you. It's fixed now and I should really just make a quick update... hmm. I'll post it in a minute,.

As for the mouse controls I have no idea why they're not working, it works fine for everyone it seems and this is really the first bug I've hear for the mouse.

I do know why the keyboard controls aren't working, that was my mistake, I'll fix that real quick like.
My hunch is that the controls get bad and unresponsive when the CPU usage is high. What's the game's framerate? The easiest way to reduce CPU usage is to drop the framerate a little.
it's at 40fps, the only reason why is because it feels very chuggy at 30.

But I mean, Megablaze tested it just fine and he's on a 2.6ghz single core. My 3.4ghz single core couldn't run the javascript mouse at all, but he can run the mouseupdate version just fine so..

That's the only reason why I'm confused about this.

Unless ACWraith has a simpler system.
Added the fixes. King of the Hill is still running high on CPU but it should run slightly better. The problem wasn't what I thought it was, but the fix did help a little bit.
I've uninstalled, cleared my cache, deleted the skin folder and reinstalled what was available about an hour before this comment (Ver 1.1_1). The keyboard control still references the mouse reticule. More importantly, I'm still getting the null.watchers runtime and respawn failure when configuring my tank.

On the bright side, I turned the AI down to 1 per team and found the mouse control more responsive. There's still hiccups now and then, but it works. =)

My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4 GHz.
If the default settings were for a smaller match (ex: 4 on 4) I think people would have less problems. When I run a game with 16 players the CPU usage is still high - generally maxed out (on a 2.0ghz dual core).

Running at 40 fps puts more of a strain on the client to redraw the screen that often. Even if the DM code runs fast and world.cpu is low, the game can still be a CPU hog. One way to help is to make the display smaller, but the window can't be resized. The only choices are fullscreen or big =)

If the game is at 80% CPU usage at 40 fps, it's be 70% usage at 35 fps or 60% usage at 30 fps. I understand that it looks much nicer at 40 fps than 30, but if some people have trouble running it at 40, performing consistently at 30 or 35fps might be better than performing inconsistently (sometimes laggy sometimes ok) at 40 fps.
It's either a very clever bot, or a very stupid spammer.
I updated the game with a minute update that fixes (for good) the killer.watchers respawn bug. redownload if you'd like.
Page: 1 2