ID:137907

I was having some difficulty with running my project in DreamSeeker, but when I tried using DreamDaemon, I got an error message that the maximum number of lists (65535) had been exceeded. Would it be possible to remove or increase this limit?

[EDIT]

I may be able to avoid using this many lists, if non-atoms can be given a loc var that behaves like an atom's loc var and causes the non-atom to appear in an atom's contents list. If this is not possible, I could still avoid using the lists if an obj can be made sufficiently invisible that no client message will be sent when the obj moves. Will setting the visibility var to 0 achieve this?

[EDIT]

What I'm looking for is a way for every turf to have a list capable of holding objects that have no unnecessary vars and don't cause client messages when they move.
On 6/12/01 5:18 pm Pmikell wrote:
I was having some difficulty with running my project in DreamSeeker, but when I tried using DreamDaemon, I got an error message that the maximum number of lists (65535) had been exceeded. Would it be possible to remove or increase this limit?

Jeepers H. Cripes, what all have you got listed?
In response to LexyBitch
On 6/12/01 5:24 pm LexyBitch wrote:

The light source code that I'm working on currently requires an extra list var for each turf :-P
In response to Pmikell
On 6/12/01 5:41 pm Pmikell wrote:

The light source code that I'm working on currently requires an extra list var for each turf :-P

Anything requiring over 65,000 lists can probably be designed around, and probably should be to avoid lots of hassles.

Would it work to make this area based instead?
In response to Deadron
On 6/12/01 6:45 pm Deadron wrote:
On 6/12/01 5:41 pm Pmikell wrote:

Anything requiring over 65,000 lists can probably be designed around, and probably should be to avoid lots of hassles.

Would it work to make this area based instead?

No, making it area based wouldn't work. I'll probably change the turf var from a list to an object reference and make the list the old fashioned way.
In response to Pmikell
On 6/12/01 7:20 pm Pmikell wrote:
No, making it area based wouldn't work. I'll probably change the turf var from a list to an object reference and make the list the old fashioned way.

Could you only create the list temporarily when needed? Do turfs need to always have the list even if no players are around?
In response to Deadron
On 6/12/01 9:29 pm Deadron wrote:
On 6/12/01 7:20 pm Pmikell wrote:

Could you only create the list temporarily when needed? Do turfs need to always have the list even if no players are around?

The list needs to exist for every turf that a player can see. While it would be technically possible for the list to exist for these turfs only, deleting it for turfs leaving a player's field of vision and creating it for turfs entering a player's field of vision would be a lot of unnecessary work.
Instead of using lists, I gave each datum an object reference var to point to the next datum, and each turf an object reference var to point to the first datum for that turf.