ID:192045

I am sick and tired of this, earlier today some idiot paged me saying if I don't make him a GM he will hack my game and put it on the hub. And this isn't the first time I have heard this non-sense. Yes, I know some people one BYOND probally can hack but lately all I have been hearing in games is "I will hack you". And besides, if you really were a hacker I think you would be smart enough to keep it to yourself seeing as though you could be sent to jail and your net privilages taken away for life. Gimme some feed back on how you feel about this.
Well stim, friend, buddy ,pal.
1) This is the wrong forum to post this, it belongs in babble
2) We've heard enough of this in the past so I'll be surprised if you get some positive feedback.
3) If your concerned about hacking or such, and can back i up email dantom at <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected], but 99.999% of the time the person has no real hacking skills whatsoever.

You asked for my reply, and here it is.

--ken--
Just ban 'em and forget 'em.
Stimulus wrote:
I am sick and tired of this, earlier today some idiot paged me saying if I don't make him a GM he will hack my game and put it on the hub. And this isn't the first time I have heard this non-sense. Yes, I know some people one BYOND probally can hack but lately all I have been hearing in games is "I will hack you". And besides, if you really were a hacker I think you would be smart enough to keep it to yourself seeing as though you could be sent to jail and your net privilages taken away for life. Gimme some feed back on how you feel about this.

You are quite correct in characterizing the person who threatened you as an idiot.

Here's the low-down on hack threats: Aside from the threat of generally busting into a person's machine, which is at least moderately difficult for an experienced cracker to do against a reasonably well-defended system, there's no way someone could simply "hack" into a BYOND game and steal its code. Other elements of a game could be vulnerable, if you had a huge exploitable bug for instance, but that's another matter.
These threats are completely impotent and you should treat them as such. Just ban these morons from your pager; they don't deserve to play any game you put out anyway.

Lummox JR
Ha! If they threaten to hack you, do what I do - say "oh, good for you :-)". That will get 'em really angry.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Stimulus wrote:

You are quite correct in characterizing the person who threatened you as an idiot.

Here's the low-down on hack threats: Aside from the threat of generally busting into a person's machine, which is at least moderately difficult for an experienced cracker to do against a reasonably well-defended system, there's no way someone could simply "hack" into a BYOND game and steal its code. Other elements of a game could be vulnerable, if you had a huge exploitable bug for instance, but that's another matter.
These threats are completely impotent and you should treat them as such. Just ban these morons from your pager; they don't deserve to play any game you put out anyway.

Lummox JR

I know the treats are 99.9% non-sense, but its just getting anoying!
In response to Stimulus
The ultimate solution:

1) Block them from pager.

2) Block them from all forms of instant messaging service.

3) Block them from e-mail.