ID:153990

Who codes as a freelance and makes money from it and who just loves to code??
-Spoon!
I love coding (being able to create), and I hate making graphics. Therefore, I never finish any programs, I just end up selling the graphics I made for them.
In response to Foomer
Amen to that brother!

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Foomer
I'm not a brilliant coder (not matter how much my fan-base tells me I am) but I've managed to create 25 games. Now, no disrepect to Sariat (actually I would like to rip right through him, but not here), but he seems to think that I lack a creative mind and come up with clones. That really annoys me. Getting back to the matter at hand, with that many games, it's pretty obvious I code for fun and my few games which have optional subscriptions are only so I can buy subscriptions myself. Not having a credit card I see little use in trying to scam people out of money. Anywho, tis post is getting longwinded.

I also have a rare talent in that I can code c++. Nothing special you might say, but I started learning it at 12 and I'm only 15 now. Sort of an advantage when it comes to BYOND :)

Da_Creative_Rushyo (But try telling Sariat that)
Spoon wrote:
Who codes as a freelance and makes money from it and who just loves to code??
-Spoon!

I would most definitely choose the latter. :)

I began coding first in Qbasic when I was 9 years old. I eventually dabbled from MUD-coding in C to (recently) BYOND programming.

I've never really believed in charging money for games (at least ones made in BYOND), so I typically charge nothing for my games, and do coding jobs for free.

I think of coding as a hobby more than an occupation, so I just can't bring myself to make people pay for anything I've made.

Hope that answers your question. :)
In response to Da_Rushyo
Might have something to do with that horrible SpaceTug remake you tried to do.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
You mean the one with more features than SpaceTug that was actually a private project loads of people asked me to realise? Jesus people, at least mine had QUALITY, ever played Radditz234's version? It hasn't even got doors, never mind bloody features.
In response to Da_Rushyo
I was comparing it to the original.... What does a door even have to do with features? If I recall your doors didn't even open or something like that.... Besides, it's your game so how can my opinion bother you?

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
It's bothers me 'cos your trying to bad mouth my game. Anywho, if you really want an explaination of the doors thing:

a) The SpaceTug door system was too slow

b) It was sheer luck if the Alien got past a door in SpaceTug

c) All you need to do to open these door is walk into them

d) The Alien can use open doors to track where u've been
In response to Da_Rushyo
i played that, i cn just remember it, he wanted me to help code it, but i was a noobie and couldnt code
In response to Maz
You couldn't have done any harm to it, that's for sure :)
In response to Da_Rushyo
Da_Rushyo wrote:
It's bothers me 'cos your trying to bad mouth my game.

No I'm not, I'm downsizing it because I don't see it being right to making another copy of an already made BYOND game, this is just how Zeta rips started except without having the base code.

a) The SpaceTug door system was too slow

That was using the idea of how the doors opened in the movie....

b) It was sheer luck if the Alien got past a door in SpaceTug

No it wasn't, all you had to do was bash on the door a few times like in the movie.

c) All you need to do to open these door is walk into them

The reason why doors should be hard for aliens to get through is so the humans have a slight chance of running from the alien, besides, how many aliens have small extendable fingers which can easily press the button to open a door?

d) The Alien can use open doors to track where u've been

The alien could do that with the original door system from the real SpaceTug, except the doors showed they were open and when they were closed. Then again, your game isn't bad because of the door system.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>

I hope to code/draw for fun and profit. I enjoy creating, so that's what got me started. I have released a couple of things so far, only one of which I am charging for. I've done icons and debugging for people free of charge, and also hosted games for free. But, eventually, the need to eat outweighs the need to create, and money will rear it's green head and dimes will need to flow, lest the beast consumes your resources in spite.

At this point, I'm not concerned with the ammount of dimes I recieve for my work, as long as it's fair (in the context of this community. Professional graphic artists get a whole lot more dimes for a project than I'll probably ever see). I'm more concerned right now with getting my name, and work, out there for people to see. I know I'm good, and I know I can charge more than almost anyone on here for my graphics, and get it. But I'm not. I want people to know that when they hire me for icons/code/whatever, they're getting top-quality work at a fair price, and that means my work must be known.

I think it's funny how some people can just tell everyone that they're good, and expect to get paid. It doesn't work that way, and I hope, never will. People aren't going to pay for junk, and they want to know that what they are paying for isn't junk. The only way to know is to see an example of the work produced by the individual before hiring them to do the work. That's how most businesses work, and that's how I work. Once my name and my portfolio is well developed, I'll most likely open a shop, and offer my services. Until that time comes, I'm content to do little odd jobs for those that require them, and perhaps entering a contest or two.

Also, I'm not above bartering. If someone really wants my talent in their project, but can't quite afford it, I would be willing to exchange services. I can't do certain things due to a lack of resources, and or talent, such as music or sound FX. A person capable of such work would be of value to me, as long as I like thier work. I think there should be more exchanges like this, to nuture the community in htese young stages of development. I'm not saying to do away with Dimes altogether, but not to put off someone just becuase they don't have any. Everyone has something of value to share.

~X
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
That was using the idea of how the doors opened in the movie....

There was a SpaceTug movie!?! How could I have missed that? I knew Guy's been upto something, but I never imagined he was behind the camera. When's it out on DVD?

~X :P
In response to Xooxer
I hope that was sarcasm because it's a sad thing that I need to inform you about the movie Alien(Which SpaceTug was based off of the concept), =P.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Kusangi, hate to say, but your talking crap :)
In response to Da_Rushyo
No, talking crap would require me being able to release fecal matter from my mouth with simple breathes.... I'm only saying that I find it wrong to how people try to recreate a game and make it better but they show no improvement, usually the remakes are horrible. If you really wanted to make a sequel to SpaceTug then you should go watch the Aliens series and add in stuff that Gug left out, hell, you could even come up with your own ideas!

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
No, talking crap would require me being able to release fecal matter from my mouth with simple breathes.... I'm only saying that I find it wrong to how people try to recreate a game and make it better but they show no improvement, usually the remakes are horrible. If you really wanted to make a sequel to SpaceTug then you should go watch the Aliens series and add in stuff that Gug left out, hell, you could even come up with your own ideas!

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>

'zactlah.
In response to Kusanagi
Indeed it was sarcasm. It's a sad thing that I need to inform you of this.