In response to Spuzzum
Note I said country that has had power, you can't really abuse something that you don't have. Yes, Canada does have a military but they seem to be complete isolationists so they have done very little internationally (positive or negative). Also, People tend to hate/dislike whoever is in charge. I'm not saying the US is completely in charge but it basically does whatever it wants and most other countries do what it says (close enough to an authority figure to me).

Note: I don't know very many specifics of Canadian history other than they beat us in the war of 1812, so I may not be right on that first point :p

Yes, it isn't as much as Japan lost, but you might be forgetting than Japan was trying to take over the world at the time. If they weren't dropped, more lives probably would have been lost in American and Japanese lives due to a direct assault. Remember how hard they fought over those worthless Islands in Indonesia? Think of how they would have fought on their own soil (strapping dynamite to their own children and using them as weapons).

Incase I misinterpreted your point (or you mine), I just wanted to make sure you knew that I was refutting his comparison of bombings that happen in the UK to the ones on Sept. 11, not saying it was the worst loss of life in history...
In response to Manar
Where did you get this information? The scientist wanted to go through with everything, the military and the government was hesitating though.... The government new the bombs were powerful, but not that powerful considering they had only tested them on a few small islands, I suggest reading the book "The Bomb" by: Theodore Taylor, there you will get some more information on the atom bomb testings....(Even though it is about a boy trying to stop the military from using his island as test site, it still gives info on what was going on with the government.)

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Manar
Nope, Japan still had millions of suicide soldiers on the main Island (aka the entire population who thought their Emperor was a god). They didn't surrender after having one city obliterated in the blink of an eye, and a warning of another. If they were nearly beaten and ready to surrender they would have done so after the first bomb was dropped (as Spuzzum said, they probably thought the US was exaggerating so not surrendering before the first makes sense).

And no, they didn't want to drop it on Tokyo, thus directly attacking their god/Emperor which would have caused them to likely never surrender. They wanted to beat Japan into submission, not annihilate the entire population.
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
Where did you get this information? The scientist wanted to go through with everything, the military and the government was hesitating though.... The government new the bombs were powerful, but not that powerful considering they had only tested them on a few small islands, I suggest reading the book "The Bomb" by: Theodore Taylor, there you will get some more information on the atom bomb testings....(Even though it is about a boy trying to stop the military from using his island as test site, it still gives info on what was going on with the government.)
Most of it i got from my old schoolbooks. I gathered a lot of info about it when i did a paper on the bomb many years ago.

I recommend you to read a book called "Stronger than a thusand suns" that tells about the makings of the bomb and the scientists who made it.
In response to DBHavenMaster
The hub is not meant for sharing MP3 files or any other non-BYOND files, for that matter. As Kusanagi suggests, please find web space elsewhere and make it available there. I'm sure some free web hosts do still exist.

Thanks.
In response to Kusanagi
Site's dont have large enough bandwitdth for that. I believe that Dantom wouldn't have any problem hosting something such as that until Friday. If they do please send me an email and I'll take it down ASAP.

::DBHavenMaster::
In response to Air Mapster
Alright...You think that I could leave it up just today while I try to find a free host that can fit me needs?

::DBHavenMaster::
In response to Manar
Spuzzum, ever heard of Pearl Harbor?
In response to English
English wrote:
Note I said country that has had power, you can't really abuse something that you don't have. Yes, Canada does have a military but they seem to be complete isolationists so they have done very little internationally (positive or negative). Also, People tend to hate/dislike whoever is in charge. I'm not saying the US is completely in charge but it basically does whatever it wants and most other countries do what it says (close enough to an authority figure to me).

Heh, well, truth be told, there's some more of that international underestimation -- I won't say bigotry this time -- that we've come to love from our southerly neighbours. ;-)

Canada developed the KANDU nuclear reactor, the Canadarm articulated shuttle-arm, our military is about 1/20th the size of the Americans (in comparison to just over 1/10th the population, that basically means half the size per capita), and Canada has one of the grandest import and export trades on the planet.

Our Peacekeepers helped disarm minefields and keep the peace in Bosnia, Herzegovina, etc. -- also having to obey strict orders not to return fire, even if attacked.

Canadian industrial and technological concerns developed the Ballard fuel cell, a pollution-less and efficient energy-source that operates on the fusion of hydrogen and oxygen into water (not cold fusion, mind you -- just creating water and siphoning off the two free electrons), that, if implemented into cars (Ballard's been a little slow on the uptake there, however), could clean the city streets, for a fraction of the cost that gasoline costs.

Our Air Force is second-to-none -- our Navy and Coast Guard are practically non-existent, granted, but our ground troops aren't anything short of experienced and technologically up-to-date. The Canadian-born C8 assault rifle can run circles around the AR-16, and we employ all of the technology that America uses as well, like the M1 and M80.

Sure, we're probably more deficient in some areas, but I could bet we're superior in others.

And, this is not to mention that our culture is extremely urbanised and technologically-minded -- even with our vast plains, less than 3% of the population is employed in agriculture. B.C.'s economy is centred on a highly-skilled, highly-educated workforce (much like Silicon Valley, only smaller). Eastern Canada is an industrial megalopolis, and Western Canada is a technologist's dream. =)

Canada has extremely strong ties to the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Germany, and Japan -- Japan and the U.S. being our predominant trade partners.

In short, if Canada suddenly ceased to exist overnight, the world would be a vastly different place (aside from the fact that the sudden gap in the Earth's crust would cause the world to deflate like a balloon =P).

I do fully expect that if Canada and America suddenly became horrible enemies, Canada would be annexed, however -- Canada has far too little military force to defend that much land. Granted, I'm pretty sure all we'd care about is defending the land between the 60th and 49th parallels, but that's still a ton of land.

Yes, it isn't as much as Japan lost, but you might be forgetting than Japan was trying to take over the world at the time. If they weren't dropped, more lives probably would have been lost in American and Japanese lives due to a direct assault. Remember how hard they fought over those worthless Islands in Indonesia? Think of how they would have fought on their own soil (strapping dynamite to their own children and using them as weapons).

I should probably take the time right here to admit that I didn't learn a whole lot about World War II -- at least, not on the Pacific Front. All I really know is that Japan made an unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbour, without declaring hostilities, and the conflict escalated with America having to move its aircraft carriers over to Australia and Indonesia, where Japan's elite pilots tore the heck out of the inexperienced new recruits of the American Navy, until America eventually dropped the bomb.

But I think dynamite on children is a bit of an exaggeration... =P

Incase I misinterpreted your point (or you mine), I just wanted to make sure you knew that I was refutting his comparison of bombings that happen in the UK to the ones on Sept. 11, not saying it was the worst loss of life in history...

I know. I was just being devil's advocate. It's usually a pretty good eye-opener -- gives you new light into the other side -- when you defend things you don't actually support. In this case, not really, however. =)
They did attack the government. The government is representative of what it governs, and if you attack what it governs, you attack the government.

Besides, they attacked the Pentagon too. I'm pretty sure that qualifies.
In response to Super16
Gee, no, I can't say that I have! It's only one of the most talked about things in the world! =P

I still don't understand why people aren't catching onto the "devil's advocate" viewpoint. I'm trying to bring educated support to replace Hutchy's extremely crude arguments -- I'm not saying I agree with that side.

Canada suffered the blow too, you know -- aside from the fact that dozens of visiting Canadians were slain, our trade is closely tied with America's. If America slumps, we slump (and if America gains, we slump =P).
In response to Spuzzum
All we're taught about Canada is that they have lots of snow and trees, plus most Canadians are really eskimos. Well, that is a bit of an eggageration, but not much :p

Unfortunately, the dynamite strapped to their children isn't that far off (if it is at all). They did it in the form of Kamikazee planes which were mostly piloted by young teenagers. I am pretty sure they actually did use dynamite (or other explosives) on their children but I'd have to check on it to be sure.

As for the Japanese elite pilots, I believe that was true at first but as they eventually got shot down they were forced to use Kamikazee pilots because they didn't have any good pilots left (easier to fly into an aircraft carrier than drop a bomb on it, fight off enemy aircraft, then return to base to get more bombs). Before the bomb was dropped I believe Japan was pretty much pushed back to its homeland. Public school may have confused me on this stuff though :p
In response to English
English wrote:
All we're taught about Canada is that they have lots of snow and trees, plus most Canadians are really eskimos. Well, that is a bit of an eggageration, but not much :p

It's an excessive exaggeration. =P

Canada's Prairies are pretty much exactly the same as the American Eastern Seaboard, climate-wise. The mainland of British Columbia is warmer (on-par with the Central States), and Eastern Canada is a bit colder, but no less colder than New York. If you have the time, you might want to take a look at a summer high and winter low temperature map of North America. ;-)

(The Vancouver area is mild all year round, thanks to the wonderful West Coast Marine climate, which is native here and in part of Europe, and that's it.)

Once you start getting into the territories, there's permafrost a few metres beneath the surface, but snow is only on the ground for four or five months out of the year. Most of that area isn't habitable anyway, so it doesn't represent Canada. Past the 60th parallel, no one really gives a hoot what happens up there. The Yukon, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories have the smallest government representation in Canada.

And according to Statistics Canada, less than 300,000 native Eskimos live in this country. That's under 1% of the population. =)
In response to Spuzzum
Thanks for the summary, I really wanted to avoid doing some research on a search engine, typing in Canada would have yielded a few too many results. :p

Oh, and I meant I wasn't exaggerating much about what they taught us about Canada in school, which was close to nothing and probably mostly wrong ;)

This will probably be the last post here, I think we've pushed the Offtopic forum out of wack enough for now :P
DBHavenMaster wrote:
...power in cowardly acts.

I dont agree with what they did, or sympathise with them at all. However I wouldnt call giving your life for a cause you belive in 'cowardly', no matter how wrong the cause was.
Sorry, the media have just been annoying me when they say it.
-DogMan
PS: I just want to say again, Im not calling them Hero's, or saying I wish I had of done it. If I had the chance Id still beat them down with barb-bats.

PPS: Also, I seem to remember something about America being warned. I cant really remember though. It might have been just a rumor.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
They did attack the government. The government is representative of what it governs, and if you attack what it governs, you attack the government.

Besides, they attacked the Pentagon too. I'm pretty sure that qualifies.

This might be differnt in the US, but everything is mentioning the twin towers constantly, and everyone seems to have forgot about the Pentagon.
Like the people there wherent as important. I find it insulting that the people in the towers are 'Hero's' just because of where they died, well the people in the Pentagon are just dead people.
-DogMan
In response to Spuzzum
Canada's Prairies are pretty much exactly the same as the American Eastern Seaboard, climate-wise.

I have this disturbing image of a woman in a goalie mask sitting on the front porch of a Canadian plantation, fanning herself and saying "Ah declayah, Ah could use anothah Molson julep."
In response to English
Heh... It's not just Canada that we are under-taught here in the States...

It's the entire rest of the world that we don't really learn much about...lol

I'm serious... Even World History seems to somehow have a focus on America...lol

I'm not sure if it's the course material, or if it's just teachers that skim through the parts of the book about the rest of the world, and take more time on the chapters that have us in them...lol

But whatever the reason, I know that throughout my school career, I really didn't learn much about foreign countires... And even less current info about foreign countries...

Not even in the news do I ever hear much of anything that's going on in the rest of the world unless it has something to do with us... Our local paper never has anything about the rest of the world... Of course, our local paper isn't anything to brag about...lol

But I'd be willing to bet that most of America's local papers are about the same... The only ones that cover global news to any extent probably only exist in the big cities... The New York Times, for example...

I suppose I could always order a copy of some major-market paper or watch CSPAN or CSPAN2 or any of the other news networks to get a decent helping of foreign affairs, but I just don't care enough to do so...lol

Whether that's a personal fault, or whether it's a sentiment that's been programmed into me by my counttry's seeming lack of interest for the rest of the world, I dunno...lol

Take September 11th, for instance... Not until after that happened, and allof the news went to reports of Osama Bin Laden and hs al Qaida did I ever even KNOW he existed... Even thoguh we've had problems with him in the past...

Sure, I knew there were some people out there that didn't like us... But I never really knew how bad it was... Because this country is so shielded from the rest of the world... Or rather was...

It's kind of sad, but it's the truth...

[The last time I talked like this (which I believe was right when I first came to BYOND and it was in a topic about the attacks themselves) Lummox got on my case about being too negative about the US...lol I'd like to take this opportunity to state that I love the country I am fortunate enough to live in, I believe it really IS the greatest place in the whole world, I'd never even CONSIDER living elsewhere, and I have a LOT of patriotism in my heart for this wonderful nation... I just see how arrogant and self-important we are... But when you're the best, I guess it's only inevitable that you get a bit of a swelled-head...lol]
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
...saying "Ah declayah, Ah could use anothah Molson julep."

Or, "...anothah MooseHead Spritzer." =)

A good resource for educating lesser mortals about Canada is http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/index.html.

Being half-Canadian, half-Eskimo, (from my mom) and half-Texan (from my dad), *and* having relatives spread across the land from St. John's Newfoundland, Goose Bay Labrador, Toronto Ontario, Fort McMurray Alberta, to Vancouver BC, I've happily grown up seeing the differences between Canada and its nearest southern neighbor.

Canada is far from the conception of nothing but eskimos and snow. I remember during several visits to Goose Bay, Labrador (where the only good way to get there is to travel by ferry through the icebergs that hang out in the Strait, even in Summer) that we had to be on alert for evacuation because of the threat of surprise forest fires (on a scale much larger than what was recently experienced Colorado (a side note: the Colorado fires concerned me too because my mom is an archeologist at Mesa Verde) - the place was too hot and dry!

I certainly do not agree about the loss of life during the trade center crashes, but I do think this was a much too late slap in the face for the American government (and the people to some extent).

America's representatives *had* credible warning of this possibility as far back as March of that year (according to my sources of friends and ex-coworkers in the AirForce, yet these warnings from American intelligence agencies were brushed aside as not circumstantial enough to warrant informing the people. And it was not politically advantageous to do so. If there is someone to blame, it should be upon the failure of the American Congress to do its job in protecting the people. There have been countless reports made concerning "homeland" security that even Colin Powell himself (when still a military man) had expressed concerns before and after the attacks... but nothing was done.

The terrorists themselves cannot be entirely held to blame either: from childhood on, they have been set upon by their neighbors and other super powers (the U.S. and Russia being the most dominant ones) whose interest was in securing control over the existing governments for political or economic reasons, as opposed to actually finding ways of helping the majority of the lands 'people' out of poverty, famine, and disease.

I've done some digging into news archives and political discussion groups, and I do come up with info of leaders of the middle-east as far back as the 1960's requesting various forms of health and education aid from the U.S. and others - apparently to no avail. It is no wonder that their cultures have learned to hate much of the world - the U.S. being at the top of the list...

Again, the tragic loss of life is horrible, but maybe this was an important enough event to help the U.S. and its people to realize that they are not immune anymore to issues that the rest of the world has faced for generations... there should be efforts to *correct* the problems - not frustrate them even more...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
I'm a bit mixed on the topic. I have other things to worry about than why Uzbekestan doesn't like Nephministan (or whatever), that is part of the reason why I pay the salaries of politicians, diplomats, and soldiers, so they can deal with it. On the other hand, we still need to at least have a basic understanding of what is going on, politicians don't exactly have the best track record of being open, honest, and beyond reproach (anyone in power really, in any country) so they can't go unwatched by the people. I tend to lose interest personally because I figure most other countries will hate us no matter what. If we stay in our country and mind our own business, then they say we are selfish and uncompassionate isolationists. If we go out and do what we think needs to be done, we are imperialistic, white devil oppressors.

Oh wait, that last one was my last post, this one will be, I swear!
Page: 1 2 3 4