In response to Dog Man
Yeah, that isn't quite right...

But I think it comes down to the simple fact that the people in the Pentagon were military people... Getting killed in the line of duty is a definite part of their job... Whether or not they are actually IN a war or on a battlefield... If you're in the military, you may be killed...

But a businessperson in NYC that commutes to his office in the Trade Center every day doesn't think that he will be killed... It's not part of his job description...

So it seems worse to us...

Not to sound like it doesn't matter that people were killed in the Pentagon, of course it matters... But it just doesn't have the same effect to it that the deaths of innocent civilians have...
In response to Spuzzum
From The Onion's public opinion poll this week:

"They're legalizing pot, plus they already have free health care and almost no crime? Now, why exactly do we always make fun of them, again?" Eric Donald - Systems Analyst
In response to Lesbian Assassin
There legalizing pot? Ive got a van full of pot heads who are gonna love Canada from now on... Now if only they wheren't so stoned catching a plane would probably result in them ending up on an island in the middle of no where.
-DogMan
In response to Spuzzum
Does anywhere in Canada ever reach temperatures of 110ºF with high levels of humidity, if not then your lucky because thats how Houston is during summer =(.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Being half-Canadian, half-Eskimo, (from my mom) and half-Texan (from my dad), *and* having relatives spread across

Wow, I never knew that you could be half-Texan considering it's a state and not a country =P, then again it's been used like that. I wanna hear someone say they are a New Jersian, or a Floridian. I myself am a "full Texan", I think, I guess when your family has lived here for the past 100 years you can consider yourself a Texan.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Gughunter
I lived in B.C. all my life and I love crap like that. That's hilarious. I have to say I'm happy that Canada can be joked around like that. Let's not take it too seriously, folks...Have a little fun at the country's expense.

Now, back to my wood burning. It's getting cold in here....
In response to Dog Man
Here in B.C., I'd say about half of my friends smoke pot on at least a monthly basis. It's not just a "rare" drug to find now. Weed is right up there with drinking as a property of social life here...which, makes it all the more amusing when people try taking a puff, and then a drink, and another puff within two seconds, another swig, a third puff, a third swig......well...I've only seen that once.
In response to Kusanagi
Yes, actually... Niagara Falls, Ontario.
In response to Dago
And I can say with some pride that I hate marijuana smokers to a passion. =P

I also hate alcoholics and cigarette smokers, of course.
In response to Spuzzum
I felt more or less the same way until I got to college. The clock's ticking, Spuzz!

[Edit: No, I'm not encouraging drug abuse. I'm just trying to annoy Spuzz.] :)

In response to Spuzzum
I feel the same way.
In response to Kusanagi
Kusanagi wrote:
I myself am a "full Texan", I think...

I guess I am a 'full Texan' too, since I was born in San Antonio (1967), and lived in Houston until I was 7, then we moved to Atlanta, Georgia...
In response to digitalmouse
America's representatives *had* credible warning of this possibility as far back as March of that year (according to my sources of friends and ex-coworkers in the AirForce, yet these warnings from American intelligence agencies were brushed aside as not circumstantial enough to warrant informing the people. And it was not politically advantageous to do so. If there is someone to blame, it should be upon the failure of the American Congress to do its job in protecting the people. There have been countless reports made concerning "homeland" security that even Colin Powell himself (when still a military man) had expressed concerns before and after the attacks... but nothing was done.

Key word there is "possibility." If the government cried out warnings each time they has the possibility of an attack, everyone would be wining that they are just trying to scare the population to support gain political support for a large military and infrastructure. If they only report things they believe have a very strong possability, then people will blame them for not reporting something that happens, but didn't seem to be a very strong possability. This has actually happened recently. When Tom Ridge (Head of homeland security) started his threat alert system and reported threats, liberals and the media jumped down his throat complaining of all the false threats. Then they complained earlier that the administration didn't tell them enough. You can't have it both ways, liberals can't seem to grasp the concept.

The terrorists themselves cannot be entirely held to blame either: from childhood on, they have been set upon by their neighbors and other super powers (the U.S. and Russia being the most dominant ones) whose interest was in securing control over the existing governments for political or economic reasons, as opposed to actually finding ways of helping the majority of the lands 'people' out of poverty, famine, and disease.

So if I ask you to give me a million dollars so I can go to Harvard, then Stanford, then Oxford, without worry about tuition (because I would otherwise have to get a student loan and be in debt for a long time) then you say no, I can shoot you and I wouldn't be entirely held to blame? Do I wish their situation had been better? Yes. Do I wish we would have done some things differently in the past? Yes, but that doesn't give someone any excuse to do such a thing. If they had only attacked the Pentagon, the whitehouse, and other governmental buildings I would have more sympathy for them. Same in Israel, if the Palestinian bombers (or bombers entering Israel from Palestine) only targeted tanks, military personel, and government building, then I would have more sympathy for them, but they target malls and teenager hangouts often.

I've done some digging into news archives and political discussion groups, and I do come up with info of leaders of the middle-east as far back as the 1960's requesting various forms of health and education aid from the U.S. and others - apparently to no avail. It is no wonder that their cultures have learned to hate much of the world - the U.S. being at the top of the list...

Yeah, we don't send hundreds of millions of dollars to Egypt and other countries in the Region. Yeah, we don't protect nations in the area from eachother. Yeah, we don't fund the UN or play host to the Redcross which gives out most of the relief aid in the Region. We instead dropped poisonous peanut butter in minefields in Afghanistan to lure their children to their deaths and purposefully blow up as many civilian targets there as we can.

Oh wait, it's exactly the opposite of what I just said.

Again, the tragic loss of life is horrible, but maybe this was an important enough event to help the U.S. and its people to realize that they are not immune anymore to issues that the rest of the world has faced for generations... there should be efforts to *correct* the problems - not frustrate them even more...

I actually agree with that part :p

Of course I'm sure we probably disagree on how to correct the problems and not frustrate them even more, but I'm sure neither of us will be able to convince the other ;)
In response to Kusanagi
I guess when your family has lived here for the past 100 years you can consider yourself a Texan.

Actually, all you have to do is maintain a residence there for eligibility purposes and you can be considered a Texan.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Thats true, but others might not.... Just because a hot sauce is in Texas while it was made in New York City does not make it a Texas hot sauce =). (Says in a country accent)"New York City?!?"

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to DBHavenMaster
I'm pretty sure Tripod can handle it.
In response to Spuzzum
I dont so much as hate people that smoke or drink Im just confused as to why anyone would do that for enjoyment I have tasted beer and it was honostly the worst thing I have ever tasted and ive tasted quite a few things then as for smoking I can not also figure out why somone would want to sufficate themselves, they say to they need it to relax but I find a good way of relaxing is going to your room listening to some music and going to sleep it works for me and im a pretty happy person even though im bipolar so please all you people that smoke could ya tell me why ya like to drink horrible tasting bad after effect drink's and breathe in smoke to kill your lungs and somtimes you?
In response to DBHavenMaster
yea but nobody likes to listen to it as an everyday song. I dont like it, and never will.
Page: 1 2 3 4