ID:189298

Why do people like having keys that sound like everyone elses just with different numbers? I know that alot of them do it because they like shows and such, but truely, I would think a name people could remember you by would be a lot better.

I can remember stuff like "Stealth 2k", and "GoodDoggyTreat" a helluva lot easier than "Majin_Chibi_Goku_Gohan" or "Skateboarddude6969".
In some cases it's because it's used in other places, and they like having the same login nae everywhere.
In response to Jon88
I use to use the name splattergnome52363 until I realized that the other 52362 splattergnomes (with whom I have actually conducted very interesting conversations before) were only figments of my imagination, so I killed them all off, and stole the user name of the original splattergnome.

I get these strange feelings when I think about that incident...

splatty
I'm going to bet that its probably because some of these other people actually lead lives outside the internet so they aren't especially concerned about the name they use while they're online.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
I'm going to bet that its probably because some of these other people actually lead lives outside the internet so they aren't especially concerned about the name they use while they're online.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap between DBZers and the "people with lives" category, so I'm not sure that pans out.

I prefer a more sinister explanation: People with pointless interchangeable names are subconsciously aware that they are in no way unique.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
No, not subconsciously, very much consciously...

The simple truth is that most people who choose common names end up having to add numbers or whatnot to them because that name is already taken, and the user is notified of this upon the first attempt... So yes, we're very much non-unique, but we definitely are made aware of it...

This is especially applicable to AOL SNs... There are so any AOL names taken by this point, that for virtually anyone to get one now, they have to either resort to adding some random numbers to the end, or using random letters/words/numbers for the entire thing... It's horrible trying to get a new AIM account these days...

A clarification that I'd like to make is that people who choose commonly used names aren't being unoriginal because they they can't be original... It's because they don't wish to be...

What is the most important criteria for most people when choosing a screenname? To pick something you enjoy, or something that describes you... Of course, some people just look for random words that they think are cool, and use those, but that's even worse, in my opinion, than choosing something that fits you...

When I was choosing an online identity for the first time, there was only one thing I wanted to use... A DBZ name... I've got other hobbies, likes, traits, etc in my life...but there was only one thing that screamed "You have to use me as a screen name!" I didn't care that it wasn't original...it's something I like... That's all that matters...

Of course, that name was taken (SuperSaiyanGoku), so I had a choice to make... I could either add a bunch of numbers like everyone else (usually birthdates, or the current year), or I could do something else...

Adding the "X" was my decision... It allowed me to get the name I wanted, with an acceptable alteration...

[Edit:] In short, it's not that we're being unoriginal for the sake of being unoriginal, or that we lack the ability to be original... It's that we made an active choice to not be original, because we wanted to have a name of something lots of others happen to like as well...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
The simple truth is that most people who choose common names end up having to add numbers or whatnot to them because that name is already taken, and the user is notified of this upon the first attempt... So yes, we're very much non-unique, but we definitely are made aware of it...

Just a sad side effect of naming yourself after a character.
In response to Foomer
They aren't really naming themselves after after it, just a key to an internet application. To me it may be hard to remember "DBZDude54324" or something, but bashing others interests aren't right. How would everyone here feel if someone you may have looked up to said "Stupid Programmer" or "BYOND Jerk"! Stereotyping exsists everwhere, but I for one hope that BYOND will not be added into this large list.

James
In response to Foomer
Yes, but again, that is done because for those of us that do it, these names are the ones we want the most... It's not about being original, it's about picking a screenname that reflects an aspect of yourself... And no, I don't mean the aspect of being "unoriginal"... I mean that it is a way to announce that you're a fan of something... No different than wearing a logo T-shirt, or putting a bumper sticker on your car...

I could call myself anything I wanted to... I could have been "Boomer"...lol But I didn't want to be... I wanted to be "SuperSaiyanGoku(X)"...

If "Foomer" were the name of some character in a popular television series, would you still like it? Of course, you can use the argument that "if it were, I never would have picked it"... But say you didn't know about it until after the fact... Would you change your name?
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
If "Foomer" were the name of some character in a popular television series, would you still like it? Of course, you can use the argument that "if it were, I never would have picked it"... But say you didn't know about it until after the fact... Would you change your name?

Depends what the television series was about :oP

"Foomer", however, wasn't picked. It was just some random jibberish that I entered to make the key creation popup go away. I found out later that I couldn't change it. Someone once asked if I was a fan of "foo fighters" (I still have no idea what they are), which annoyed me, though. If Foomer hadn't sounded somewhat "unique" (:oP) when I ended up using it, I probably would have created a new key.

Which all goes back to the original idea. Most people probably don't care that much what they're called.
So would this screenname be unoriginal, it's full of numbers.... SG137IUU? :), It's easy to remember if you say it outloud just right, S-G-THIRTEEN-7-I-DOUBLE U!.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Foomer
The Foo Fighters are a band.

The name originally comes from the strange lights which seemed to follow fighter planes in WWII, both on the side of the Allies as well as the Axis - each side had thought that it was a secret weapon of the other, a precursor of the modern-day UFO phenomenon. They probably have a similar source as ball lightning - or the skies are stranger than we would normally think.

splatty
In response to splattergnome
Another important fact about the band is that it is headed up by Dave Grohl, which was the drummer for a little band called Nirvana...
I find that alot of websites, such as MSN, seem to not allow you to have names anyways, for no reason.

I hardly find PabloPetersSteak to be an often used name :P
because...

7|-|3Y )_1|{3 1337!!!!111!11one!1

Right?

-Camaro-

Notice the cam... then the aro.. Camaro! That's basic ;)
In response to Camaro
I always thought you were just Oramac backwards. :/
In response to Camaro
Camaro wrote:
7|-|3Y )_1|{3 1337!!!!111!11one!1

I actually understood most of that. That's just... scary.

Back on topic - I've explained the origin of the name "Crispy" several times, so most of you will probably know this already, but here goes anyway. I didn't choose my name because I like to flame people or because it was a reference to anything, or even because I thought it sounded good. I just chose it from my real name. Chris P. -> Crispy. =)

Incidentally, I thought of a new name yesterday, for when "Crispy" is taken; Count Ypsirc. NOBODY's going to have that name. (I hope.) =P
In response to Kunark
I like the diversity of MSN having that, but I wonder how confusing it would be to have 2 or 3 people with the same name?
Funny, I've never had an AIM screen name that I wanted not be available, and yet I've never had to settle for an AIM name (or a Yahoo! name or a BYOND name) that wasn't cool and didn't relate to me.

You can wrap it up any way you like, but what does the name Super Saiyan Goku say about you? Are we supposed to think that you're Goku? Or that you are in some way like him? No, it's just that you like him... but you don't see me going around calling myself Long Walk in the Forest or Pan-Asian Cuisine, do you?

Seriously, how much does that name say about you? You'll admit, no doubt, that there's potentially as many different reasons to like DBZ as there are DBZ fans... I say potentially because I'm sure a lot of fans like the show for practically identical reasons. In fact, the nubmer of reasons is probably closer to 11... point is, there's different reasons to like DBZ.

So does the SSGX name say, "I like watching martial artists pummel each other with cosmic forces", or "I like epic generational sagas that don't translate well", or "This particular character is someone I admire because of his outlook on life and his moral values" or "This particular character is someone I admire because he can like fly and shoot stuff from his hands." or what?

Granted, the name "Hedgemistress" doesn't say much about me, and there's been some similar confusion over what I was trying to say with my "Lesbian Assassin" screen name... but when I choose my screen name, I choose it for one reason and one reason only: so people in a communication medium will know what to call me.

I mean, that's the first and most important function of a name, isn't it? A name is an identifier. As a programmer, you should be acutely aware of the advantages offered by unique and clearly marked identifiers that are distinguishable at a glance from each other. You want to tell people that you like Dragon Ball? That's easy. "I like Dragon Ball!" Now, do you want people to remember your identity so that they can associate specific comments and views you espouse with their concept of you in their head, building up a picture of you as an individual over time? Then pick an actual screen name.

In summary, by proclaiming your deliberate unoriginality, you are openly declaring war on the very concept of "naming".
In response to Hedgemistress
Well, many people believe my name was just picked for no reason, including the random numbers. I basically just picked Goku since he was my favorite character at the time, and the "72" is quite unique. the 72 stands for the year of my brother's birthdate (he died a few years ago) and it is also my favorite car year (the 1972 Pontiac Trans Am).
Page: 1 2 3