ID:189300

I have signed up for a martial arts class (Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do). Do any of you practice martial arts? If so, what? Personally I wanted to practice Ninjutsu and Kung Fu, but hey beggars can't be choosers.

-IW
Yup I take Kung Fu, it's awsome. My style is Choy Li Fut. I'm a green sash and I'm starting to learn some pretty advanced stuff. I took tae kwon do when I was little and it sucks compared to Kung Fu. I wouldn't choose anything else over Choy Li Fut. It uses all 5 animal styles: tiger, leopard, snake, crane and dragon. It teaches good fundamentals too and uses weapons. I'm gonna start sparring next week as well, it's gonna be fun.
In response to Tokabol
I wish to take Ninjutsu, the art of being invisible. I like this technique very much. I guess I'm stuck with Tae Kwon Do untill I get my black belt, than I can move onto a better martial arts.

-IW
I taught myself Tae Kwon Do moves, but haven't once taken any classes.

I have very good reflexes, and here is examples of some of the moves I can do (Though I'm sure not many of the names are right :) ):

Right Leg Roundhouse Kick,
Jumping Right Leg Roundhouse Kick,
Left Leg Jump Kick (Not the wussy kind, the true type running jump kick.)
Triple stand still jump kick (3 of the wussy kicks in one jump)
180 degree spinning standstill right leg forward jump kick
180 degree spinning standstill left leg backwards jump kick
180 degree left turn middle kick (Can do this with both legs)
Jumping semi axe kick
Scissor kick (Both legs, one goes up other goes down)
Spinning scissor kick (Spin to right right after the scissor hits.)
Stomp Kick (can do with either leg.)
180 left leg backwards stomp kick.
180 middle kick to 180 standstill jump kick.

I could do alot more with better stretched out legs easily.

Those are my kicks, because hands are too easy to do so it's not even worth talking about those :P Sorry for all the adjectives, hehe, I really don't know any of the names.

It took me a few years to realize it, but Tae Kwon Do is a joke.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
I relised it as soon as I took kung fu.
In response to Kusanagi
It isn't a joke... It is more of just display and visual performance, unlike actual self defence.
In response to IvoryWizard
Ninjitsu's not really a "martial art", although it wouldn't surprise me if some supposed "dojos" teach a mishmash of techniques and call it so in order to cash in on the various crazes, much the same way publishers of occult books often publish "translations" of the Necronomicon (a fictional book invented by H.P. Lovecraft but widely believed to be an actual ancient tome.)

While I'm sure some ninja were schooled in various arts of self-defense, the standard maneuver used to ultimately avoid capture was the same for almost all secret societies of assassins and spies: stab yourself through the heart, throw yourself off a cliff, etc. Not quite the "finishing move" that you're looking for, huh?

As for the art of invisibility... ninja were invisible because they came from all walks of life, two ninja wouldn't have anything in common. They wore no uniform and carried no badge of their office. The girl serving you wine, the new gardener at the estate... they could be ninja and you would never know it. Because ninjas are masters of disguise? Well, some might be, but more likely, the girl actually is a serving girl and the man actually is a gardener.

And when it's time to strike, did they use their secret ninja shadow magic, or their deadly prowess with a weapon? No. More often, they would use poison in food, stab someone from behind or smother them in their sleep, or kill them in an otherwise generally overcautious and slightly cowardly fashion. Doesn't take much special training to do that.

What ninja had going for them wasn't really exotic training as much as it was slavish devotion to their organization. An individual ninja was nothing... but a whole society of them is a different story... when you have enough agents loyal to the point of death and willing to strike whenever and where ever you choose, people are going to talk. Ninja killed a great warrior... obviously, ninja are great warriors. Ninja entered a heavily guarded compound unseen (probably because the ninja in question already worked there), so ninja must be great magicians. And so on.
In response to Hedgemistress
Lexy, I am shocked!
You forgot to explain how Ninja can fly, perform metamorphasis at will, and shoot laser beams from their eyes...
You can't hide the truth from this kid forever!

~; ){en )3ishop ;~
In response to NeoHaxor
Yeah! Darn it... Where's the URL to that one website about Ninjas with that Big Pimpin' midi playing in the background? I knew I should've bookmarked that one...

It was highly informative...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Laugh it up, but this is no joke to me. Its people like you that don't understand. Its people like you that deserve to run into an actual Martial Artist and get tought a lesson.

-IW
In response to IvoryWizard
No, its people like you that don't even know the first thing about what they're talking about.
In response to Jotdaniel
I think Martial Art is over rated... theres no paint brushes or canvases nothing to look at. O.o why dont people just develop there own martial arts moves the same as the others but call it their own because they did infact teach them selves there own moves O.o bla bla bla yadda yadda yadda....

I thought most martial arts were based on spertiual mumbo jumbo not chopping bricks in half. How good is chopping bricks in half big woop. Now choping 3 feet of steel in two with your pinking... ok ur good but oooo a couple of bricks I just dont see whats so great... well yea its good but how good is the question?

[EDIT] Just too tell u all that is pretty much not what I really think Im just trying to stire things up. :) peace martial art people.
In response to Green Lime
Regardless, you definately benefit from any martial arts class, none are truly frauds. Even though you cant use the martial arts techniques in just any fight and most moves require people to actually just sit there and wait to be hit doesnt mean the course offers nothing entirely.

Martial Arts, regardless of the school, or stance, or whatever, still offers a disciplined structured, and paced atmosphere to work out in. Its all just a way to keep in shape, and suck your money dry.