ID:189126

I'm surprised no one has posted a topic about this yet. But what do you all think about Arnold Swartzenager(sp? like anyone can). I just think it's hilarious, I'm lucky enough to live in California so now we got the Govenator running our state. This is just some funny stuff. And what makes it even funnier is that Gary Coleman was running for govenor too, I would've voted for him :P But hopefuly things get a little better around here. The econmys so bad that they had to cut buses from the High Schools and Middle Schools... along with other major budget cuts.
My dad said he would've voted for Ah-nold if we lived in California. Not because he's a movie star, but my dad said he has made many smart deals in real-eastate and other things.

Ah-nold ze gozenator.
It all depends on his advisors - it doesn't really matter who is the governor, since policy will certainly be made by his aides.

But I do think that there could have been worse choices for governor - Arnold is a surprisely social-liberal for a Republican, and if he can carry his idealogy into office, then I think that he could be a good "middle-of-the-road" candidate which is acceptable to both sides.

splatty
In response to Airjoe
hes already won ..o.o
Personally, I'm kind of impressed how he dealt with the accusations against him. Most politicians would have said strait out "I DID NOT DO THAT!" while he said he might have.

I'm kind of interested to see how well he'll do...
Tokabol wrote:
I'm surprised no one has posted a topic about this yet.

Generally people visit BYOND forums to discuss BYOND, not random real-world topics.

(Death to Off Topic forums!)

And yes, I only posted this to correct the topic.
In response to Foomer
Generally people visit BYOND forums to discuss BYOND, not random real-world topics.

I don't mind talking about random real-world topics myself.

(Death to Off Topic forums!)
Just don't bother reading or posting to off topic :P.
In response to Blueseed15
On that point, would you rather him say he might have, then lie and say he didn't(like all those others you mentioned).
In response to Jotdaniel
I thought I said that... shows that he won't deny everything said against him, which shows some honesty...
the reason he shows honesty about something he may/may have not done is because he can always just go back to hollywood if he lost -shrugs-
In response to Karasu Kami
True.. but I'm still interested to see how he does... I'm hoping he isn't as bad as Minnesota's Jesse Ventura was... though Minnesota's current governor is worse.
Sorry, wasn't clear from your post.
I think he'll do alright as far as it goes... I don't see a second term for him.

Arnold has pledged to roll back the tax increases that reduced the operational deficit from the 30 billion range to the 10 billion range and has made it clear that he'll secure more money for things like education (which I've seen cited as being 40% of the state's budget already). Two great, laudable goals, right? Yeah, they're fine... as long as you're doing one or the other

Although the conventional wisdom is that liberals and Democrats don't understand how money really works, it's pledges like this and George H. W. P. D. Q. Bush's famous "Read my lips... no new taxes!" that shows real ignorance... money's got to come from somewhere. "We'll cut the fat from other, non-essential programs." When the fat is being measured in double-digit billions, that's a lot of fat that needs trimming... so we're faced with three outcomes.

1) Arnold leaves taxes where they are and possibly increases them. He's not only raised taxes but broke his cornerstone campaign promise. Can you say re-recall?

2) Arnold repeals the tax increases and does his level best to lower the tax burden upon one and all. Deficit soars to the point that the U.S. starts dropping pointed hints about the merits of secession.

3) Arnold repeals the tax increases AND turns the deficit around by slashing "non-essential" programs left and right. Well, even "non-essential" program are important and essential to at least a small group of people... and you alienate enough small groups of people, you've alienated everybody.

I suppose there's a fourth possibility... Arnold could turn to non-traditional sources of funding... prominent product placement within the state, selling advertising, etc. He could also create a new position: State Executive Producer. The office of the SEP would be responsible for lining up the money needed to get the government off the ground and then overseeing the whole operation to make sure everything runs smoothly.
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
1) Arnold leaves taxes where they are and possibly increases them. He's not only raised taxes but broke his cornerstone campaign promise. Can you say re-recall?

Re... re... re... I give up. =) Seriously though, if this was in Australia he probably would get elected for a second term. Why? Because now it's pretty much accepted by the general public as a fact of life that a politician's job is to lie to get himself into office. (This is backed up by opinion poll results, by the way.)

3) Arnold repeals the tax increases AND turns the deficit around by slashing "non-essential" programs left and right.

Non-essential programs like, oh... health, welfare and education? How did I guess... -_- Or maybe I'm just too cynical after experiencing first-hand the effects of funding to all those three areas being slashed by successive governments in order to fund (A) the United States's wars, and (B) tax cuts for the rich.

Bleh. From what I've heard, some areas of the U.S. are worse off in those regards, but it still sucks.
In response to Foomer
How about I just make you a program to filter out the off-topic programs for you, Foomer? Would you be happy then?