In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Well, hyperbole aside, voting for one you dislike less is the sam as the one you like more. Maybe a better example is Hitler v. Jimmy Carter? I don't like either, but.....

this is my main complaint about this year's election: too many people are voting for kerry just because they want to vote against bush. if it were hitler running instead of kerry, these people would probably vote for hitler just because they don't like what bush has done.

You disagree with opposite views??? How is that possible? If one candidate says "yes" and one "no", how do you disagree with both?

there are also some "radical" issues that no democrat or republican would even acknowledge. and the issues they do talk about, i obviously have to agree with some of them some of the time, but no matter who i vote for i'd still be voting for something that i disagree with. i realize that there will never be a candidate that i completely agree with, but neither of these candidates are remotely close.
In response to Wizkidd0123
actually they both think basicly the same things. so its like voting for someone whos good (bush) and voting for someone who says were in dept and yet he has Plans for everything.....
No. I don't vote. I've never voted and I don't foresee me ever voting. It's pointless, a single vote does not matter, and nothing you can say will change my mind. It's not like you're voting for a president anyways. You're voting for a guy who votes for the president. You're voting for the promise of a vote.

~X
In response to Xooxer
And even with that "promise" sometimes your vote is "accidentally" not even counted. They can't even "promise" your vote, seeing as how every year you can never tell if the total count is the actual total count. Once you look at it, it's just a piece of paper on the ground to the people in the white house.
In response to Xooxer
Actually, in the history of the USA, 2 presidential votes have been decided by just 1 vote. Forgot which presidents though <_< But I remember that at least 1 of them was somebody really important like JFK or somebody like that.
In response to Kaga-Kami
Kaga-Kami wrote:
And even with that "promise" sometimes your vote is "accidentally" not even counted. They can't even "promise" your vote since they can't even seem to know if a vote has vanished or if it wasn't counted, and so forth.

Sure, there are times when votes aren't counted, but that's no reason NOT to vote. It's possibly a reason to file some lawsuits and protest but to not vote...
In response to Strawgate
My opinion is, if you absolutely can't decide which canditate is better, reflect on whether the existing president has done a good job. If he has, then we don't have a need for a new canditate, if not, then no matter how equally bad they may same, one must give the new one a chance since the old one(The existing president) has proved bad for the job.
In response to OneFishDown
OneFishDown wrote:
thats a horrible reason to vote. "candidate B sucks. but i'm voting for him because he sucks less than candidate A". It would be interesting to see what would happen if hitler ran against pol pot for president. i know i'd vote for whoever is the lesser of two evils there!

Honestly, I don't know who this "pol pot" is <_<. BUT, if it's him or another holocaust....
B.S. Won by one electoral vote, perhaps, but not by one citizen's vote. Saying a single vote counts is folly, self-deluding bull. Money and power are what counts, not whether or not I pull a lever.

~X
That is a most ignorant thing to say OFD; you would honestly not vote for the lesser of two evils if blatently apparant who that was? Your saying just because candidate B is less evil than candidate A, you still wont vote for the man less detrimental to your future as a citizen of the country A or B will be elected president of because of his inherant evilness? If that is so, you are a most immature individual. I strongly encourage people not to take this standpoint.

Sadly I would be voting, if only I were about a month older.
OneFishDown wrote:
Jmurph wrote:
Well, hyperbole aside, voting for one you dislike less is the sam as the one you like more. Maybe a better example is Hitler v. Jimmy Carter? I don't like either, but.....

this is my main complaint about this year's election: too many people are voting for kerry just because they want to vote against bush. if it were hitler running instead of kerry, these people would probably vote for hitler just because they don't like what bush has done.

Ironically, many Orthodox Jewish Rabbis have been telling their congregations to vote for Bush because "He's better for Isreal". Anyway, I know what you mean, but again, if:
  • Candidate A has been president
  • Person A thinks that Candidate A is equal to Candidate B but likes neither
  • Person A thinks that candidate A has done a bad job during his 4 year presidential term.

Then Person A should vote for Candidate B since it's been proven, in Person A's eyes at least, that Candidate A can't do the job well.
In response to Xooxer
Well sure, it's been one electoral vote, but electoral votes have been decided by one person's vote...
but thats just your opionon and.. as a I regret to say... your wrong.. lol
Prove it. Besides, voting requires you register for the Selective Service. I don't know about you, but I'm not killing no people because my president is a money-grubbing oil monger who basicly got us into this whole mess in the first place.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Can't argue with that one <_< But can't you get in trouble somehow for not registering?
In response to Strawgate
Maybe. But how does not voting actually help anything?
No, I registered for the Selective Service when I turned 18. Sure, I'm supposed to update them when I move, but screw that. I'm no man's pawn, and I'd have no qualms dodging a draft.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Well, I'm sure you could get in trouble for not updating it too. Anyway, that's not really anything I can argue with, but out of curiousity, how would you dodge a draft by not updating? The only real way is to move out of the US when the draft is announced; they could track you down if you still live in the US.
Not voting does not help, but it does not hurt. Voting hurts. Casting your vote is like giving the guy your permission to do whatever he wants. And if he wants to kill a whole bunch of people because his oil interests would benefit, then you are partially to blame for those people's deaths. Not voting frees you from that responsibility. I'm not saying that the people that voted for Bush in 2000 are murderers, but they're not innocent either.

~X
It makes it harder for them.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6 7 8