In response to RougePix
So Im guessing you mean playstation or gameboy by "system"? because those are the only ones that can play older systems games.
In response to Nickquag
I'll be getting a Ps3, of course.

Don't be ridiculous of course the ps3 online network and Xbox live will be similiar, except Ps3 online will be free.

In response to RougePix
RougePix wrote:
$600 price

That's for the "cheap" PS3, isn't it? That is, the one that is missing parts and features so that you can't do everything the system was made for? And I've also heard that you can't upgrade it either; if you want the better one after getting the less expensive one you have to go out and buy an entire nother PS3. And how much is the one that is even more expensive than that? Isn't it seven-hundred-something?

, and a motion sensor that will be avaliable for a select few games. I hardly call that "evil".

I don't see what the presense of a motion sensor that gets little use has to do with your argument of it not being evil.
In response to Nickquag
I don't get what you're trying to say but uhh Ps3 can playback Ps1 and ps2 games.
Although I won't call Sony evil (though I know you were just exaggerating, so I won't go into that), I won't buy anything of Sony's video game products because I feel their presense in the gaming market is bad for the video game industry's health.

To be honest, I never understood what people got so excited about with the Playstation. Especially with the first one. In the console generation of the original one, I wanted the Sega Saturn. It's such a shame Sega got bought out and converted into a non-console-producing company.
In response to Alathon
i'm getting teh Ps3 console.
In response to Divine Apprentice
Nobody is saying that Xbox Live is great or that PS3's online network will suck, but the fact is that it's nice to spend some money for a really excellent experience playing games online. If you went to a bar and the waiters were slow, the drinks had lag floating in them (yummy), and the music was choppy, but the service was all *free*, would you go? I would suggest hopping to the one accross the street, where for $50 you and your friends can have a really excellent night.

What I'm saying is, in the premium vs free argument with online game providers, it makes sense to me to pay and have a really great time rather than have to "put up" with Sony's free network just because it's free and "good enough" for a bunch of people.
In response to I_Not_Scared164
I'm getting a PS3, and maybe a wii too.
In response to PirateHead
You're still going to have people who'd rather put up with nuances of a free service simply because it's free.

Heck, I see 1300 players online on Byond right now, so... ;)
No.. i said they're similar except Sony's online network is free. Not saying that Xbox live sucks or anything. I actually love it(and i'm a hardcore xbox fan).

Ps3 online looks great and if it's anything like Xbox live(Or better) i'll enjoy it. I don't want to pay for online especially when there's possibly something better out there that's free.

*edit* Oh yeah Sony will have premium online service aswell so if the free service is bugging you, you can always pay for the premium service.
In response to Yorae
Yep i'm getting a Ps3.
In response to Loduwijk
Only reason I bought a PlayStation was for Final Fantasy VII and XENOGEARS!
In response to Trickery
I'm getting a Wii and Ps3. :|
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk said:
Although I won't call Sony evil (though I know you were just exaggerating, so I won't go into that), I won't buy anything of Sony's video game products because I feel their presense in the gaming market is bad for the video game industry's health.

I have to agree with you there.

Although Sony is a lot better for gaming than MS, of course.
That's a bogus argument.

You don't even have to point out why it is to see it's clearly wrong, man.
Criticising a free service before anyone's even tried it and trying to show that free things are somehow inherently bad isn't a good way to go. Just look at Nintendo's online service? It's totally free and works fine.
Your death is near.

Just kidding. I'm a Sony fan. And, obviously they must have done something right to be the leading in console sales but a long shot. Wer'e talking in the 60s of millions as opposed the 10s of millions to the competeing systems.

I love Sony and their products. I will be buying it. And their hardware isn't crap. It's teh excellent.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
Exactly. Loading time, one new gadget per console, insane prices, etc. are the best way to go. These wonderful features are much better than constant changes, adaptations, catering to fans who want to see more storyline for a game (No, releasing the exact same Crash Bandicoot game [I think that was the one] 20 times and just changing the title does not count as new content for plot fans), and predictably stable prices.

Seriously, devout anti-consolism ftl.

Loading times happen to be more influenced by the design of the game (or lack there-of) than the system;

Insane prices happen to most consoles and are controlled more by market demand and console cost than some evil desire to dominate the world.

'constant changes, adaptations, catering to fans who want to see more storyline for a game' ? First of all, the company that produces a console has ZERO, ZILCH to do with the quality of the games.

All console game companies cater to their fans in the degree that its profitable. The fact that some people seem to think that Sony is an evil money-grubbing giant and that Nintendo in contrast isn't is an illusion. Guess what ? ALL of these companies do it for the money. All of them.

That is exactly one of the things I don't like about it. For that price you might as well buy a decent PC and get games that are better than those on any gaming console.

I don't think PC games in general are better; Some games are simply better suited to consoles, IMO. And the atmosphere of sitting with friends around a TV screen is usually different, something that a great deal of console games rely on.

I think its fine to complain over the price of a console as being on the high end; But accusing Sony of being evil, saying other console companies are saints and tailor to their users, bringing in completely game development-related issues and similar simply make me look at threads like this and go, 'Useless'. Relentless slandering of anything you can try and put in a negative scope doesn't do a thing to support an argument amongst anyone who has a clue about this industry.
In response to Loduwijk
$600 is for the fully featured one. You pay $500 for the other console, but I beleive the only difference between the two is harddrive memory. $600 for 60GB harddrive, $500 for 30GB.
I agree. I wouldn't go somewhere similar to another place in any aspect if I were not to have a great time. PS3 may be compared as so to Xbox Live, but it's capabilities aren't really known yet, and that statement may not actually apply.

I would still rather have a PS3. It's fully backwards compatible (unlike teh 360, which is really homosexual) and I love the titles exclusive to it, such as Medal of Honor (that is still only for the PS, right? European Assault doesn't count because it was stupid.)

In response to Pyro_dragons
Nintendo better kick them in the ass, because they had the least sales of console systems when compared to the PS2 and Xbox. They are falling behind in my opinion. They did have a significant number of sales for the GBA, though. OVer 124 million sold. It would be a shame for them to fall; they are so innovative.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12