In response to Nickquag
Killzone should be no less than perfect. They really came up short on the first after so much time spent of writing new engines and such. It ran great, but the game was really dumb.
In response to Loduwijk
That makes all the sense it needs to. I'd imagine that if he ONLY wanted to play those games, he wouldn't get a PS3. He most obviously wants to play some PS3 games on it as well. When buying a new system, it is inevitable that you buy games for it. What's the point of buying it otherwise?
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
...But accusing Sony of being evil, saying other console companies are saints and tailor to their users, bringing in completely game development-related issues and similar simply make me look at threads like this and go, 'Useless'.

You can say that these things are entirely game-development-related, but that doesn't change the fact that Nintendo works closely with its developers to build product identity and make sure its new features are fully utilized while Sony spends all its time fitting new DRM schemes into Blu-Ray, increasing the component and production costs of its console, building fake "market demand" (which Microsoft did too -- they're all demons).

Sony is evil and all others are saints? No way. Sony is doing some evil things and needs to make some major revisions to its strategy and product in order to succeed, while others are reading the market more accurately and pulling ahead? Absolutely. As Microsoft said, a person might as well buy a Xbox 360 and a Wii for the price of a PS3 (and if the trend continues, in 5 years consumers can buy 2 Xbox 128-Bit machines and a half-dozen Nintendo next-rev machines, complete with networking gear, for the price of a PS4).
Meh, I'm getting a wii first and consider getting a PS3 if my pocket can take it. Thing is, the only system I'm majorly intrested in is the Reovlution/Wii..
In response to Alathon
I don't claim Sony is evil. In fact, I already said in another post in this thread that I won't call Sony evil. As for the games on the console, Sony has made some of the games. Either way, it doesn't matter whether they do or not, as I'm talking about the experience with the console which does depend on all games it has on it, not just the system and the games made by its creator.

Alathon wrote:
bringing in completely game development-related issues and similar simply make me look at threads like this and go, 'Useless'. Relentless slandering of anything you can try and put in a negative scope doesn't do a thing to support an argument amongst anyone who has a clue about this industry.

Funny how someone who puts derogative words in my mouth would turn around and say I'm slandering something. I think the word I'm looking for is irony. Worse yet, it's funny how someone can come back and turn my light-hearted and friendly jesting into something completely different.

Aside from the put-down though, game development-related issues have a heck of a lot to do with everything. Liking a system just for the sake of itself is silly. I like a system more for the games than for the system. That is why I get it after all - to play the games.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
But that's not what he said. The only point at all contained within his post was that he's looking forward to playing past games on it. Whatever he may or may not do, that's not the point; I'm not going to assume stuff there, rather I'm just commenting on his point he made.
In response to Pyro_dragons

Pyro_dragons wrote:

I'm not getting a PS3 either. 1. Too expensive. 2.They're copycats with motion sensor (I know its different but still).

The reason why its expensive because 1. The Cell Proccesser is the most powerful processer in the world. 2. The Blu-Ray drive (cost $1000), the BD-Rom's hold up to 200GB of data, and it's also HD. 3. The new custom video card, made by nVidia.

PS2 was copied by Microsoft, look at their controller on the 360. It has four shoulder buttons, just like the PS2 and PS1 has. Microsoft (Xbox 360) also copied the Eye Toy that Sony has for the PS2, PSP, and PS3. Another thing, look at the name of the buttons on the Gamecube/Nintendo 64/Super Nintendo (A,B,X,Y,L,R), then look at the buttons on the Xbox and Xbox 360 (A,B,X,Y,L,R). The Microsoft also copied the backwards-capability. The only thing Sony is doing is playing the same game. Now Sony is trying to get even. I do admit Sony has copied, but I don't remember them copying before. You know what they say: What Goes Around Comes Around.

In response to Y2kEric
Y2kEric wrote:
The reason why its expensive because 1. The Cell Proccesser is the most powerful processer in the world.

I want a link to the press release for that one. "Sony to distribute world's most powerful processor cheap in PS3 -- PC industry fails to catch on, and still uses what it *thinks* are cutting-edge processors"

2. The Blu-Ray drive (cost $1000), the BD-Rom's hold up to 200GB of data, and it's also HD.

Oh, I see how it makes sense now. Sony and Blu-Ray come up with a ridiculously expensive technology that can hold more data (still with slow read times, giving us longer load times) AND a vehicle to sell the new technology, and make a killing. Everybody gets rich, everybody's happy, right? Just like Microsoft's Vista and their cutting of support for OpenGL (except we have to give in to Microsoft due to its ubiquity - we don't have to give in to Sony!)

3. The new custom video card, made by nVidia.

An nVidia video card? Now I'm willing to pay anything! Oh wait, my PC has had those for years now.
In response to PirateHead
Buy a Ps3!
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
Just like Microsoft's Vista and their cutting of support for OpenGL

Actually I'm pretty sure that's FUD - OpenGL will still be supported by the video card drivers, as it already is. So out-of-the-box Vista won't support OpenGL very well, but just upgrade your graphics card driver and you're good to go.

I think.
In response to Crispy
I hope so. OpenGL is really important, but I've read in some pretty authoritative places that Vista places some sort of performance cap on OpenGL. Though, it wouldn't be the first time FUD gets ahold of the MSM, eh?
Gaming systems are getting rediculous. I'm officially done buying them. From now on, I'll just build a gaming computer and upgrade it yearly.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
To be honest, I never understood what people got so excited about with the Playstation.

Pirating. It's what got the Playstation into peoples homes and also gave it a degree of street cred. It was also a chance for the casual gamers to get enough out of their console to make it worth owning so in that sense it pumped a lot of new blood into the industry.

I'm not saying that the console wasn't liked before bootleg games hit or that it's the only factor in it's success, but I do see it as the major factor behind it.
That makes me want to buy two just to spite you. Come on, if you don't like it, don't buy it, but there is no need to go whining all over the internet.

I loved my PSX, I love my PS2, and I am rather certain I will love my PS3, the day that I get it, and for years to come.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
Funny how someone who puts derogative words in my mouth would turn around and say I'm slandering something. I think the word I'm looking for is irony. Worse yet, it's funny how someone can come back and turn my light-hearted and friendly jesting into something completely different.

Funny how some people think that any post made to a thread is aimed at them.

Aside from the put-down though, game development-related issues have a heck of a lot to do with everything. Liking a system just for the sake of itself is silly. I like a system more for the games than for the system. That is why I get it after all - to play the games.

You're not understanding the point, at all.

Game development related issues have naught to do with the cost nor the power of a system; If a game has excessively long loading times, and other games on the console don't, I'd be pretty dubious before blaming the system and not the programmers/GAME company for that.
In response to Loduwijk
A $999 (AUD) console sounds just perfect to me. Friggin' sony.

It's not just that, too. The music arm of that company has had a fair view stupid things, too. Remember that little virus they were including with a few of their popular music CDs? Oh, wait, it's called 'DRM management software'.
In response to Alathon

Given that you were replying to his post...
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:

Funnier yet how your post was in reply to mine and everything else seemed directly related to everything I had said. I'm not psychic here; when all the signs point to you targetting me I'm not going to think otherwise when I come to some specific piece that's not targetting me without some reason to do so, even if that reason is something as simple as "But on a seperate note..."

You're not understanding the point, at all.

Game development related issues have naught to do with the cost nor the power of a system; If a game has excessively long loading times, and other games on the console don't, I'd be pretty dubious before blaming the system and not the programmers/GAME company for that.

And yet game development has everything to do with the experience using the system and is thus valid in any discussion on the quality of gameplay with the system. And it's not just "a game has excessively long loading times, and other games on the console don't" as you put it; any games I've ever played on a Playstation system that were worth playing had annoying loading times. My Dreamcast does too, which is why I eventually get annoyed with some of the games for that and end up putting the thing away for a while.

PirateHead's reason for not buying a PS3 may have been because of Sony and only because of Sony, but when people replying to him say that they will buy one because of backwards-compatibility with games they like or because they think it's better or whatever, then my reply to those replies become perfectly valid and on topic. You can't restrict your discussion to system and system developers only and tell me not to go into the games unless your only reply to PirateHead had been "I'm getting a PS3 because I like Sony."

Whatever a console is or is not capable of, the experience with it comes down to the games. Therefor any argument which tries to ignore game development in a discussion about whether or not to get a system is a pointless argument.
In response to Loduwijk
Why don't we just wait till the consoles are actually released and then we can argue all we want!

I do agree that the games are what makes a console special, without GTA or Final Fantasy the PS2 would not be what it is today!
I was hanging in the balance of PS3, and Xbox360. But I have to say, one of my favorite games tipped the scales to PS3.

So :P
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12