In response to Sarm
"Heck, I see 1300 players online on Byond right now, so... ;)"

Mind showing me where I can pay for a version of BYOND that is even better(without being more difficult)? I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't a ton of money.
In response to Artekia
Um...what? I don't know what you mean by your reply. Rather, if you're trying to hint at anything.
In response to Sarm
PirateHead compared free to premium services, saying he'd rather pay some and get a better product, then not pay and put up with crap. You say that a lot of people would put up with crap, and not pay. But I said that there is no premium counterpart to BYOND. People don't have a choice, BYOND is unique, it's either BYOND or nothing.
In response to Artekia
Oh. Well, I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that some people will prefer the free alternative to something even if it doesn't seem to compare to a "premium" service (Byond for playing games versus actual game companies making stuff).

Yeah, I haven't seen anything like Byond for making games, but I wasn't saying that all 1300 people online at the time were making things either. I did call them players.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
Y2kEric wrote:
and now Sony is copying the Xbox Live (but it will be free).

Wrong! Microsoft did not invent the internet, nor did they invent a system to streamline consoles syncing with the internet(Dreamcast/Gamespy anyone). This idea has been around for ages, as long as there was networking, there was a basic form of games and content distribution using it. Just like motion sensors, the technology has been around forever, and been used in the gaming industry for a long time now, but not put into mass usage untill this generation of consoles. They arn't stealing anything. If they where, Nintendo would have legal grounds to sue.

They said it themselves that the PS3 will have a network that is will have the same features as Xbox Live, and will have free basic service.
In response to Y2kEric
I'm not trying to bash you or Sony or anything, but the EyeToy was based on the common webcam, and I'm pretty sure Sony didn't create that.
In response to Artekia
Well, in my case I think of BYOND as a hobby rather than my primary entertainment. When I want to be really entertained I play Magic: The Gathering, or rent a sailboat, or go out with friends - I spend money. I don't expect BYOND to entertain me - while I'm here it's to toy around with things that I know are free and where I know what crap I'll have to put up with. If I came here expecting to be thoroughly entertained for free, I would be disappointed.

Now, let's bring this back to console games. After I spend five or six hundred dollars on a console, do I want to be thoroughly entertained, or am I taking the "free ride" as a casual hobbyist? Okay, that was too easy. Put it this way - after I spend 600 dollars on a console, and I spend 300 dollars on games for the console, and 30 dollars a month for cable internet, I've already sunk a good 1000 dollars or so into my gaming experience. After that, what makes you think I want free online play? I don't think casual gamers are going to buy the PS3. It's too expensive and the titles for it are too hardcore, too expensive, and too online-centric. The "weenie noobs" and 56kers are going to use the free net, and the real gamers are going to use Sony's premium service anyway. That's the free vs premium debate in a nutshell.
In response to Scoobert
It seems the OpenGL issue is resolved: http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/02/22/ 537624.aspx

Game developers can now breathe a sigh of relief. Do it with me... breathe in... and out. Repeat this mantra as you do so: Vista will support OpenGL. In... and out. Vista will support OpenGL. Breathe in... breathe out.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
I understand what you're saying perfectly fine. NOw here's what I'm saying: I'm not talking about the quality of just the system itself. My whole part in this thread has been about the overall quality of the experience when using the system, not the quality of the system in and of itself. That's all I was trying to say in the paragraphs where I'm talking about game quality being a valid argument.

Ah, ok. Fair enough.
In response to Ebonshadow
Amen.
Wrong.
In response to Worldweaver
Mind providing sources? Because from what I have heard, he is right.
In response to Scoobert
Mm, I guess I was outdated, I remember reading an article saying it was going to be priced around 700. But I just looked it up.
See! $600! So not only does Sony get $600, but you pay the government $36.

Are the prices of games going to go up too? Because I only get like two games a year (my birthday and Christmas o_o) but if games go over $50 then I probably shouldn't get any of the new systems if I ever want to use them <_<

Oh yeah not to mention that I'll never have the money for a system unless I start stealing from homeless people again.
In response to Cowdude
Hey, those homeless people only use the money for beer anyways.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
You are right. I never said anything about the processor being everything in the console, but it does mean a lot.

Does it really mean much? In the long run it's pretty much irrelivent. The PS2, XBox and Gamecube have all sold well even past the point where their hardware became less than that of the average PC. If they held back and didn't release any next gen consoles for another three years it's not like they couldn't make any new games in that time.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
It seems the OpenGL issue is resolved: http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/02/22/ 537624.aspx

Game developers can now breathe a sigh of relief. Do it with me... breathe in... and out. Repeat this mantra as you do so: Vista will support OpenGL. In... and out. Vista will support OpenGL. Breathe in... breathe out.

I don't think they really had a choice in that matter - if they had cut all support for OpenGL, Game developers would have simply migrated code to a different OS. As for the DRM in PS3, I agree with Scoobert - If I have bought something legally(non-bootleg), that means I own it legally and should have the right to do (more or less) anything I want with it - Anyone remember those adverts "Home Taping is Killing Music"? I am no longer buying any console - I'll simply upgrade my PC at regular intervals
In response to TheLunarWolf
TheLunarWolf wrote:
If I have bought something legally(non-bootleg), that means I own it legally and should have the right to do (more or less) anything I want with it

Just a note: No, it doesn't. You do not own the music CD's you buy, either. What you are buying is a licensed right to USE the console.
In response to Cowdude
Im not sure o.o i know they did on the 360 so prolly gonna go up on the ps3 as well..
In response to Alathon
I didn't mean that I owned the material included(that would breach quite a few copyrights)but a License to use said material as I see fit - If I have bought a DVD and want it stored on my PC/Laptop, I should have the right do so, I have paid for said DVD and while the material on it is subject to copyright, the copy of the DVD is mine. Not sure how it works in the US but in the UK we are allowed to make one backup of all copyrighted material.

[EDIT]Has this topic got out of hand or what?:)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12