In response to Crispy
I thought that was common knowledge...Drivers for Nvidia and ATI have their own OpenGL to begin with anyways.
In response to TheLunarWolf
TheLunarWolf wrote:
I didn't mean that I owned the material included(that would breach quite a few copyrights)but a License to use said material as I see fit - If I have bought a DVD and want it stored on my PC/Laptop, I should have the right do so, I have paid for said DVD and while the material on it is subject to copyright, the copy of the DVD is mine. Not sure how it works in the US but in the UK we are allowed to make one backup of all copyrighted material.

[EDIT]Has this topic got out of hand or what?:)

Of course, you have rights to make backup copies, but you cannot sell them. Thats a Federal Law. I think its about a $250,000.00 fine if you are caught selling copied DVD.
In response to Y2kEric
Y2kEric wrote:
I think its about a $250,000.00 fine if you are caught selling copied DVD.

Ahhh. The U.S. justice system. Copy $20 worth of data on a DVD, get fined $250,000.00.
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Y2kEric wrote:
I think its about a $250,000.00 fine if you are caught selling copied DVD.

Ahhh. The U.S. justice system. Copy $20 worth of data on a DVD, get fined $250,000.00.

Actually its worth more than that, because the people who made it probably makes millions from it, and if someone else is selling them. Then they could make probably hundreads/thousands from it.
In response to Y2kEric
Y2kEric wrote:
Actually its worth more than that, because the people who made it probably makes millions from it, and if someone else is selling them. Then they could make probably hundreads/thousands from it.

So I buy a 20 dollar DVD. I make a copy, and trade it to a friend for 5 bucks. Now it's okay for me to be sued/fined a quarter of a million dollars?
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
So I buy a 20 dollar DVD. I make a copy, and trade it to a friend for 5 bucks. Now it's okay for me to be sued/fined a quarter of a million dollars?

Apparently so. Just on a side note - I never actually said that I sold my backup copies(I haven't).
In response to TheLunarWolf
Nice title-change. I have one myself, and my father has half a dozen and a Vic20 and C128.
In response to Y2kEric
It has already been proven piracy has the least ammount of effect on the market.
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Y2kEric wrote:

Of course, but if you give it to someone without selling it to them, I think it's not a felon.
In response to Jon88
Yes it is. You can't rightfully sale what isn't yours. I think that paying what you took isn't enough. What will you learn? You'll just pirate software again because you're making a little bit of money and by the time your caught, you'll have made enough money to pay off just the software you took.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
You'll just pirate software again because you're making a little bit of money and by the time your caught, you'll have made enough money to pay off just the software you took.

Wait... buy a DVD for $20, sell four copies to friends for $5 each... they fine you $80 ($20 for each copy pirated), and how is it you make the money back?
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Yes it is. You can't rightfully sale what isn't yours. I think that paying what you took isn't enough. What will you learn? You'll just pirate software again because you're making a little bit of money and by the time your caught, you'll have made enough money to pay off just the software you took.

I didn't say sell it. I said if you give it to someone without selling it to them.
In response to DarkCampainger
How would they find about all those copies? I'd think they'd only find about the one. Besides, you can sell them for more than $5.
In response to Y2kEric
I never said you said sell it. Reguardless, I was replying to Jon's post.
"Home Taping is killing music"-esque thread
People like yo give the industry to much to cry about already. I pirate tons of games, music and DVDs and guess what, I still have enough offical games, music and DVDs laying around to chokes a herd of Elephants.

Even if the Industry loses a Billion dollars a year, thats a very tiny chink in a much larger, grander, solid gold suit of armor they have.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
Even if the Industry loses a Billion dollars a year, thats a very tiny chink in a much larger, grander, solid gold suit of armor they have.

If I steal $1000 from a bank, thats a very tiny chink in a much larger, grander, solid gold suit of armor the bank has.

Great logic.
In response to Alathon
Usually when you steal money from a bank, you could assume that you are stealing from normal, average every day people.

Besides, the way a bank works, banks burrow your money and use it to invest in other things, thats why they pay you a percent to keep your money in their bank account. So when you steal from a bank, you techanlly aren't really stealing from them, but from all the people who put money into that account.

Big faceless coperations like Microsoft or Sony work on a different scale and shouldn't be compaired to a bank. The fact is, piracy effects the market much less then you think it does. And I'll continue to pirate.

In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
Big faceless coperations like Microsoft or Sony work on a different scale and shouldn't be compaired to a bank. The fact is, piracy effects the market much less then you think it does. And I'll continue to pirate.

So now you both assume that you know how much I think piracy effects the market, and that my posting had anything to do with attempting you to pirate less ? I suppose you also assume that I've never pirated anything and that I'm devoutly against it ? I've never stated my own personal opinion on pirating, merely mentioned consequences.

Big faceless corporations still pay people; The more piracy occurs, the more the validity of current payment for employees is brought up. I'd say the example is fairly accurate, and I don't particularly want to spend time trying to connect the dots for you if you are unable to yourself.

In response to Alathon
No.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12