ID:152568

I just wanna see your views on ripping. There is alot of it on byond. But who is a profesional artist anyay? Wouldn't you rather to have your game look good? Or would you rather it look ugly with home made sprites, but have the honor of not ripping? What if you got them from a ROM (console or handheld game on the computer)? Not eveyone has artistic talent? Or is that their fault? If they do it well, isn't it a skill? Or a waste of time? The game is a fan game, wouldn't it look good with the new gen graphics? Or is that stealing? But technology lets you, and people put sprite sheets on the web for you to do it?
I'm playing devil's advocate. I want to hear what you guys think.
FriesOfDoom wrote:
Or is that stealing? But technology lets you, and people put sprite sheets on the web for you to do it?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Wouldn't you rather to have your game look good?

That's not necessarily the most important thing. Its better to have a game with good content and lousy graphics than a game with lousy content and good graphics. Look at Angband, for example. Ascii graphics and still very popular. Although that sounds like it might be in favor of ripping, since ripping graphics speeds up the glitz process and lets you concentrate on gameplay.

Or would you rather it look ugly with home made sprites, but have the honor of not ripping?

I actually think there's a pretty good resemblance between gaving lousy home-made graphics and ripped graphics - they're both ugly. They both make your game look like crap. Although I think your chances are slightly better with lousy home-made graphics of an artist stumbling along who happens to like your game and wants to make better graphics for it. The better choice, though, is probably to get someone else to do your graphics for you. Then you can concentrate on gameplay, and they can concentrate on graphics - then your graphics will be neither ugly nor ripped.

I can think of Theodis' games. While he's a self-proclaimed lousy artist, he makes awesome games, and I know at least two people have contributed graphics for his projects in the past (me being one of them).

What if you got them from a ROM (console or handheld game on the computer)?

Unless you're attempting to duplicate kind the game you got them from, that's probably the worst thing you could do.

Not eveyone has artistic talent? Or is that their fault? If they do it well, isn't it a skill?

I think its mostly just from practice. And effort. Artists don't pull nice graphics out of their hat, you know. They take a lot of work. Most people who draw crappy graphics just don't practice and/or don't try very hard.

But technology lets you, and people put sprite sheets on the web for you to do it?

Unless the people posting the sprite sheets drew them themselves, it doesn't matter if they're available or not. Technology "lets you" do all sorts of illegal things.

I want to hear what you guys think.

I think ripping is okay if they're just stand-in graphics, but it reflects better on the author if they make their own (poorly made or not) graphics. If you're going to use stand-in graphics, you should at least use something that's public domain. If you're planning to use ripped graphics for the "official" look, you might as well drop the project.
====|=|===|=
====|===|==|==
====|====|===|==
====|===|==|==
==
==
==
=

That's supposed to be a thumbs down, for anyone who doesn't recognize l33t ASCII Art when they see it!
People tend to appreciate the time you took making those sprites, even if they are ugly.
Ripping sprites is okay, though i don't do it anymore and i have spent dedicated time trying to become better at making icons and from what i have heard, suceeded. I consider myself a profesional game graphics maker, though i know i am not. I'll do any commision based work or one for a game that i like. Ripped graphics have actually started to disgust me and i think people who do it deserve to be shot. I would of shot myself had i seen myself in the past starting estate and ripping every last GFX. *sigh*
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Wouldn't you rather to have your game look good?

That's not necessarily the most important thing. Its better to have a game with good content and lousy graphics than a game with lousy content and good graphics. Look at Angband, for example. Ascii graphics and still very popular. Although that sounds like it might be in favor of ripping, since ripping graphics speeds up the glitz process and lets you concentrate on gameplay.

Not all ripped games have lousy content. Not all games with good content has lousy graphics.

I do agree with the letting them sub-statute.
Also, I do know what Ascii graphics are thank you very much >_> if that was directed at me.

also remember i'm playing devils advocate which means I'm taking no side, and I just want to see what everyone thinks.
In response to FriesOfDoom
Devil's advocate means your taking no side? *hug hug hug* you are the third person i've had to hug today, and generally speaking ripped icon games have crap for content. Like the game archipelago has really really bad graphics that make my eyes water, though i play the game because the game play is just so amazing. Graphics don't mean anything if your game is good enough, and your taking the side of the devil. :P *hug* just for good measure.
In response to Darkdemonrad
Darkdemonrad wrote:
Devil's advocate means your taking no side? *slap slap slap* you are the third person i've had to slap today, and generally speaking ripped icon games have crap for content. Like the game archipelago has really really bad graphics that make my eyes water, though i play the game because the game play is just so amazing. Graphics don't mean anything if your game is good enough, and your taking the side of the devil. :P *slap* just for good measure.

_> its a figure of speach. And it means if someone goes on one side I'll take the other side and defend it the best I can, and vise versa.

Also 5/10 games I've played on byond have ripped graphics, and they were pretty good(better than i could do, not saying much though -.-)

I think some people just would rather spend that time coding than making and spending time on sprites. I've tried to make customs....they generally suck. But i also dont have all day to practice, cuz i rather do coding.

hehe yea my brain is dead today(yes thats different from the norm)... whee finals

I<3 100% original games though, no matter how dumb they are :P
FriesOfDoom wrote:
also remember i'm playing devils advocate which means I'm taking no side, and I just want to see what everyone thinks.

Considering you've been defending icon ripping on a different thread, I'm gonna call you on this one. You're definitely taking a side: pro-ripping.

Heck, you've even defended it in this thread. When someone tells you how ripping is bad, you come back with a counter-argument. When someone says it's good, you keep mum. That's not neutrality.

There's nothing wrong with picking a side and defending it, but pretending you haven't done either is more than a bit dishonest.

Lummox JR
I've seen some pretty attractive looking games that were made with original graphics. I've seen about as many BYOND games with good gameplay as I have with good original graphics... quality in any aspect of game design on BYOND just happens to be uncommon.

Ripping sprites is for lazy people, unless you have a specific reason to use a particular set of graphics. Even most of the games that use Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior sprites only do so because the designer is too lazy to draw their own... they have no intention of sticking to the style of the original games.
In response to Papoose
Papoose wrote:
People tend to appreciate the time you took making those sprites, even if they are ugly.

Not mine. :-D
In response to PirateHead
Id rather have sprites look good AND home made. =D
In response to Vans
Vans wrote:

Don't hire me as a pixel artist then.

I am pretty good as a desktop publisher, though. I can use a lot of software and I have a lot of color/design sense. I'm just no good at drawing accurate representations of real things, which is the essence of pixel art.
I've got to agree with Lummox on this one. Don't try to play DA, then take one side.

And if you are trying to find out how the community's going to react to you, don't go all pussy-footing around either. Outright ask. "If I make a game with ripped icons from roms, will anyone throw rocks at my head?"

Plain and simple, the answer is no. People might toss in a snide remark, and it's a little risky to try and charge access for copyrighted material, and by that, I mean illegal, so my advice is use public domain icons until you can work on your own.

Often enough, if you develop a fanbase, you can have one of them put some work in on new icons for you. I've done it for games I really liked. I gave icons, code snippets, and money to a few games way back in the day.
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
Vans wrote:

Don't hire me as a pixel artist then.

Dude, Id hire you, Id hire everyone, I love you guys like brothers man.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
FriesOfDoom wrote:

Considering you've been defending icon ripping on a different thread, I'm gonna call you on this one. You're definitely taking a side: pro-ripping.

Heck, you've even defended it in this thread. When someone tells you how ripping is bad, you come back with a counter-argument. When someone says it's good, you keep mum. That's not neutrality.

There's nothing wrong with picking a side and defending it, but pretending you haven't done either is more than a bit dishonest.

Lummox JR

Ter13 wrote:
I've got to agree with Lummox on this one. Don't try to play DA, then take one side.

And if you are trying to find out how the community's going to react to you, don't go all pussy-footing around either. Outright ask. "If I make a game with ripped icons from roms, will anyone throw rocks at my head?"

Plain and simple, the answer is no. People might toss in a snide remark, and it's a little risky to try and charge access for copyrighted material, and by that, I mean illegal, so my advice is use public domain icons until you can work on your own.

Often enough, if you develop a fanbase, you can have one of them put some work in on new icons for you. I've done it for games I really liked. I gave icons, code snippets, and money to a few games way back in the day.

Ter13

first, most of the posts have been against it.
second, if you look above I said "I do agree about having them just be stand in's for awhile" Not exact message but close.
third, how do you know I wasn't playing devils advocate on the last thread?
fourth, this post is not about weither I have or I have not ripped, and it doesn't matter anyway. Someone who posted above said they had but regretted it. If you really want me to admit that I have ripped, I have, big f***ing deal, so has evey new person to game development.
fifth, Ter13 and Pirate please don't flame the post. Pirate yours are funny >_> put please, no advertising.
sixth>/b>,if you custom make or rip a Mario(example) its still a Mario sprite. Can't a guy get opinions without getting stepped on?
You are getting opinions. Just like it says in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, "The internet has given the people a voice," and they are allowed to use that voice to give whatever opinion they want if they choose to do so.

Also, from what I have seen of your posts on ripping(which is a lot), you aren't against ripping... You're with it.

Not everyone has ripped when new to game development.

A Mario sprite may be just a Mario sprite but there IS a little thing called copyright laws.

Aaaand just because you can change letters to other symbols doesn't make it right. It's still very noticeable as a swear word.

-Exophus
In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
Ripping sprites is for lazy people, unless you have a specific reason to use a particular set of graphics. Even most of the games that use Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior sprites only do so because the designer is too lazy to draw their own... they have no intention of sticking to the style of the original games.

Kind of ironic that you say that, eh Silk?
Page: 1 2