In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Kind of ironic that you say that, eh Silk?

Did you read the sentence after it? "They have no intention of sticking to the style of the original games." Dragon Warrior Online was made to be true to the original NES games... I didn't rip the graphics because I was lazy. Heck, I spent hours pouring over maps in the original games to make sure that I nailed the mapping style down correctly!

Most DW games on BYOND are made by people who have absolutely no intention of sticking to the original formula.
In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
Flame Sage wrote:
Kind of ironic that you say that, eh Silk?

Did you read the sentence after it? "They have no intention of sticking to the style of the original games." Dragon Warrior Online was made to be true to the original NES games... I didn't rip the graphics because I was lazy. Heck, I spent hours pouring over maps in the original games to make sure that I nailed the mapping style down correctly!

Most DW games on BYOND are made by people who have absolutely no intention of sticking to the original formula.

I was a huge DWO fan when it was still in production, in fact, it is what drew me to BYOND. I am also making a DW game, which I spent a few weeks playing through the rom to rip the graphics from it. I unfortunately lost them all and must re-do it eventually, but that's besides the point.

Not only am I making a DW game, I am also trying to keep it to the original DW4 format, and have been told I have done a good job so far.

Yet, on the other hand, I am also making a game (which I pretty much just started) using icons I will be (crappily) creating myself, and it will be completely original as far as I am aware.

I am not saying that I am with ripping necessarily (sp?), I am just further emphasizing Silk's point about people being lazy, compared to people doing it to try and make a true fan game that emulates the original games style of gameplay.

As for the mapping style of my game though, I am still just playing around with that and the maps aren't the final product maps for anyone who has seen the game...

§atans§pawn
In response to SilkWizard
Most, but not all. I spent hours trying to study the formulas for a Dragon Warrior game once. The Battle system, level up, stats bonuses, monster, what they drop, how much, how often. Ripping sprites from ROMS and stuff is fine, but ripping sprites from other peoples games is wrong.
In response to Sniper Joe
Sniper Joe wrote:
Ripping sprites from ROMS and stuff is fine, but ripping sprites from other peoples games is wrong.

So ROMs don't count as games, then? =P
FriesOfDoom wrote:
I just wanna see your views on ripping. There is alot of it on byond. But who is a profesional artist anyay? Wouldn't you rather to have your game look good? Or would you rather it look ugly with home made sprites, but have the honor of not ripping?

This is a pure no-brainer. No ripping, please. Good games can come from low-quality graphics. I mean, just check out Lummox JR's Scream of the Stickster (and SotSII, while you're at it ;]). Those are mere stick figures running around, yet the games are still very entertaining.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
In Stickster's case, I would argue that the crude-looking graphics actually make it better. There's a strong visual theme going on there. It's playful, it's fun, it's functional, and it works.
In response to FriesOfDoom
FriesOfDoom wrote:
first, most of the posts have been against it.

Well yes, but you haven't defended the anti- proposition whatsoever whenever a pro-ripping post was made. Defending one side means you are not neutral by definition.

second, if you look above I said "I do agree about having them just be stand in's for awhile" Not exact message but close.

That's what we call having a position on the issue. It's not a neutral stance.

third, how do you know I wasn't playing devils advocate on the last thread?

Because you said outright that you wanted to teach ripping skills. That's how this started, remember?

fourth, this post is not about weither I have or I have not ripped, and it doesn't matter anyway. Someone who posted above said they had but regretted it. If you really want me to admit that I have ripped, I have, big [expletive deleted] deal, so has evey new person to game development.

Just for future reference, using asterisks to cover language does not count, and will usually get your posts edited or deleted. Use better language or a different forum.

No one's making you admit you've ripped, which is secondary to the discussion. Anyway you've already said you did. What's at issue is that you were defending both your past actions and any future rippers (at least under certain circumstances), which means you're not simply playing devil's advocate; you have chosen a side.

sixth,if you custom make or rip a Mario(example) its still a Mario sprite. Can't a guy get opinions without getting stepped on?

When you're legitimately collecting opinions, sure. But you've defended ripping against most people who've posted what you didn't want to hear. That's not getting opinions; it's seeking validation. You want people to tell you that ripping is okay.

Lummox JR
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
FriesOfDoom wrote:
I just wanna see your views on ripping. There is alot of it on byond. But who is a profesional artist anyay? Wouldn't you rather to have your game look good? Or would you rather it look ugly with home made sprites, but have the honor of not ripping?

This is a pure no-brainer. No ripping, please. Good games can come from low-quality graphics. I mean, just check out Lummox JR's Scream of the Stickster (and SotSII, while you're at it ;]). Those are mere stick figures running around, yet the games are still very entertaining.

Hiead

but I am assuming that the bad/funny graphics were part of the game design. WHich of course would make it better
In response to Exophus
Exophus wrote:
You are getting opinions. Just like it says in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, "The internet has given the people a voice," and they are allowed to use that voice to give whatever opinion they want if they choose to do so.

Also, from what I have seen of your posts on ripping(which is a lot), you aren't against ripping... You're with it.

-Exophus

I was talking about opinions about ripping, not about if I have ripped and if that makes me a bad person -.-

Also name the posts that I have about ripping? I count 2. This one and the ones in Snipe's post about the school.
In response to FriesOfDoom
There's more than two posts. Anyways, opinions about you ripping DOES have to do with ripping in a sense. They're giving their opinions on ripping regardless of who did it.
You shouldn't rip. Ripping is wrong. Here's the chain of evil:

artist makes good icon (yes artists exsit and you can hire them)

It's put in game and people play game

lazy people rip the dude's hard worked on art

lazy person's game is made

people notice the good grafics, but also that it's ripped. this drops the respect lvl real low (even negitives)

Final conclusion: Ripping is retarded and a lzay way out
Page: 1 2