ID:184266

Ok now whenever I play a rip I hinsestly don't care who make the rip but why do people hate them what so bad about them?????
1) Usually they suck more than the original (as how sequels do).

2) They use other's hardwork without giving any credit and most of the time, the actual owners may have not wanted the source to be released. (I mean, how would YOU feel like if you made $10,000 and someone just comes and steals your credit card + pin # and than drained all your money out? I would be, to say the least, very mad).

3) It is the worst possible way for you to learn how to program from (speaking from experience).

4) Refer to point #2.

5) See above. Do not give source out to people you just met, don't trust, or non-programmers (like "mappers".. they just need a modified turf code if it refers to any specific code, and icons).

6) Rips just wastes more hub space/banwidth.. because the idea/gameplay usually is the same as the original with minimal difference.

7) See what Elation said.

8) There's no point #8.

9) See point number 5.

10) I am sorry for the useless points mentioned, couldn't help myself.

YOU try making a game and see how long it actually takes you to get a whole system down (a big game that is).

- GhostAnime
It's on par with theft.
Nothing, if you don't mind thieves.
I think a lot of it has to do with how repetitive rips become.
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
2) They use other's hardwork without giving any credit and most of the time, the actual owners may have not wanted the source to be released. (I mean, how would YOU feel like if you made $10,000 and someone just comes and steals your credit card + pin # and than drained all your money out? I would be, to say the least, very mad).

i'd be extremely mad, but you're kind of merging the meanings of "rip" and "rip off". a better example would be taking a book's contents, placing them in a different cover, and claiming it as your own.
In response to Artemio
Miran, have you ever perhaps thought of an idea maybe that could make you millions(maybe I am over exageratting?)

Miran, have you ever had your idea stolen from you and that person claiming it as their own and making millions out of it.

Miran, have you ever had to sleep in a dumpster because someone stole your idea and claimed it at their own.

Miran, do you know what it feels like to have your dreams ripped and used by someone else.

Because I don't. I make sure my source codes are nice and safe where no n00by ass rippers can get their thieving little hands on them. Also I might have gone a bit far with the 3rd point, but it could happen... the worlds a weird place. Also making money on BYOND is a rare things because most rips tend to be fan games which technically, unless you have the authorization to make money from the author of the actual game your not going to make anything. So ripping on BYOND isn't a terrible fine, but you tend not to become famous, but instead you are seen as infamous. I hope this helped. And I hope this will stop the n00by rippers ripping.

-Stephen
In response to Stephen-San
Stephen-San wrote:
And I hope this will stop the n00by rippers ripping.
-Stephen

LOL

Dream On
Miran94 wrote:
what so bad about them?????

They're clogging up the hub, causing new developers to learn bad coding habits and they're not fun to play.
In response to Android Data
You can't really say they aren't fun. There aren't any rips I really enjoy, but The Naruto game by Goditz seems to be popular getting over 100+ players per day.

I do agree that it teaches programmers bad habits though and I think it is terrible to rip as I have commented on.
Android Data wrote:
and they're not fun to play.

What we all must realise is that there are people who actually like the game, hence the popularity of most rips. And opinion is not always a fact, even if nearly every member of the Developer community agrees.

O-matic
In response to Stephen-San
Stephen-San wrote:
You can't really say they aren't fun.

Yes, I can. I don't find them fun, therefor everyone doesn't find them fun. :)
What we need is Lummox JR to give a cracking reply to this that no one can beat.
a funny coincidence: rips are common games on BYOND that many people have access to but don't really understand. people just copy what other people have done without adding much of their own thoughts to it. when someone asks "whats so bad about rips?" the response is typically "they suck, they clog the hub, and teach bad coding habits". that response itself is often ripped and repeatedly used to answer that question without the answerer adding their own thoughts to it.
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
1) Usually they suck more than the original (as how sequels do).

we're not dealing with the top game-makers here. if these people weren't making rips they'd either make nothing or something worse than the rip.

3) It is the worst possible way for you to learn how to program from (speaking from experience).

there are plenty of better ways to learn to program, whether it be from the BYOND website or any other website. if these people wanted to find a better way to learn, they easily could. if they are choosing to learn from rips they're admittedly not trying.

6) Rips just wastes more hub space/banwidth.. because the idea/gameplay usually is the same as the original with minimal difference.

8) There's no point #8.

9) See point number 5.

10) I am sorry for the useless points mentioned, couldn't help myself.

ZOMG YOU JUST WASTED BANDWIDTH WITH THOSE USELESS POINTS!!

like i said, a rip is probably a better game than any original game these people could make. so if they made a game that was even worse, it would just be more of a waste of space/bandwidth.
In response to OneFishDown
OneFishDown wrote:
that response itself is often ripped and repeatedly used to answer that question without the answerer adding their own thoughts to it.

It gets hard too come up with another reason why they arent any good when most/all are already used!
Miran94 wrote:
Ok now whenever I play a rip I hinsestly don't care who make the rip but why do people hate them what so bad about them?????

There are several reasons. The main reason is that in general they're just not very good games. They inevitably carry forward any bugs found in the original, while adding many more because people who "create" rips are never any good as programmers. They never will be, either, because their chosen tool to learn from is a piece of crap. And any time a reasonably good game is ripped, the sheer number of rips means that instead of having a large number of players who can interact on a server (or set of servers), those players are scattered across hundreds of disconnected games and get less out of the play experience.

The number of rips alone has also caused numerous problems with finding unique games. The live listing is typically about 2/3 fangames, 95% of which are rips. The hub itself is awash in rips, mostly all abandoned by this point. That means finding a good game on the hub, not just the ones currently hosted, is also more difficult.

Plus, it's always a bad thing when someone else's hard work is used to become someone else's gain without their permission. Most rips exist not because the author released the source, but because they trusted the wrong person with it.

All that said, though, official BYOND policy is that rips are allowed to exist, because frankly there's not enough manpower to stop them and to deal with the inevitable complaints from doing so.

Lummox JR
I say that people make rips only because they see other rips. They see those crappy rips with some players, and players "bowing" down to the owners. They just want power and "fame" by having a game.
OneFishDown wrote:
when someone asks "whats so bad about rips?" the response is typically "they suck, they clog the hub, and teach bad coding habits".

The difference is that while ripped sources are poorly made with plenty of flaws, the aforementioned response has none of those properties.
OneFishDown wrote:
if these people weren't making rips they'd either make nothing or something worse than the rip.

That makes sense but if you think back to before the major DBZ source codes got leaked we actually had a fair few decent ones in the flood. Given the lack of an easier option some of these people are capable of learning the language.
Page: 1 2