In response to Dragonn
So none of them win, yet the Wii does? Hmm, interesting logic.
In response to Z-warrior-Z
Interesting stuff! I don't do the GameFAQ boards due to some of the annoying social trends.

Also, keep in mind - that's projecting a small group of people with already similar views (thus, why they are on GameFAQs) on a larger, more general populous. It's good if the people are randomly selected, but not so good if you select a group of concentrated people (like this). It's still very nifty, I very much so look forward to finding myself a Wii =)

In response to Popisfizzy
Well, he has a point actually, if it sounds stupid.

I believe the end of console gaming is near. The PS3 and XBOX 360 are outgunned by the Wii's controls, which I think will can't be done again because the controls will seem 'repetitive' and the others 'out of date'.

And thus, no console might win in the end, but then the Wii gets the last laugh.
In response to Popisfizzy
Beat me to it =P
In response to RedlineM203
The gaming industry is still huge.

Tell me what makes you think they're anywhere near coming to an end, I'd like to hear your thinking on this. So far each console has sold at least a million units (in the USA, not including other countries. The PS3 barely breaking the mark, the others being 4-8x higher). Companies come into the business, and leave the business, but the business itself still remains intact. It's been going on since the 70s, and it's still growing.
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
SSJ2GohanDBGT wrote:

The gaming industry is made up of lots of parts, strong and weak.

Tell me what makes you think they're anywhere near coming to an end, I'd like to hear your thinking on this. So far each console has sold at least a million units (in the USA, not including other countries. The PS3 barely breaking the mark, the others being 4-8x higher). Companies come into the business, and leave the business, but the business itself still remains intact. It's been going on since the 70s, and it's still growing.

But what if nothing original comes along? The XBOX 360 has the graphics. The Wii has the controls. The PS3 just sucks.

Now, putting them together seems a brilliant idea, but yeah, the Wii will fade like all else do, and unless the graphics can make serial killers turn into holy priests then I don't think its going to work. What can be better then realistic?
RedlineM203 wrote:
What can be better then realistic?

Fun maybe? I sure as hell know I wouldn't play any sports games if it took as long as it does IRL too have just one match.

The same goes for racing games, I own all three V8 Super Cars(Toca Race Driver). The second being my favourite, first second, and third is last. Why? Because in the third one, if I loose my tiers, then I'm done for. I cant have a friend push me into the pit stops like on the other two. Yeah, it's more like the real thing. But unless you're physically in that car, getting the same rush as a real driver, it will get boring. Fast.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Players with either Pokémon Diamond or Pearl are able to play battles using their Nintendo DS as a controller.

I'm hoping that they make more of an effort to ditch that aspect of connectivity this time around. With the NDS there's no real technical reason why a cart is needed.
I was really disappointed with the way GBA-to-GameCube connectivity turned out. Apart from a few cases where the developers had some extra time on their hands (Zelda and Rogue Squadron III) it was only used to try and sell GBA games.
I'd love to see the NDS-to-Wii connectivity brought in as an optional aspect of as many games as possible. A Wiimote/NDS combo control system would be pretty cool for a real-time strategy game.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:

I'd love to see the NDS-to-Wii connectivity brought in as an optional aspect of as many games as possible. A Wiimote/NDS combo control system would be pretty cool for a real-time strategy game.

Agreed; it should be highly enforced since you don't need a cable this time around. I'd seen the GBA used twice on the GameCube: as a radar on Splinter Cell 1(kinda cool) and basically a NES "emulator" on Animal Crossing/Animal Crossing Minigame; those didn't need a GBA game.
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
I'd seen the GBA used twice on the GameCube:

I use it in Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion, StarWars Rogue Squadron III and Zelda: Wind Waker. Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life has the capability, but I don't own the GBA game to go with it.

Functions;
Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion - You get a new suit in Metroid Prime (the Fusion suit) which is pretty cool even though it acts just like your normal suit. You also get access to the NES Metroid game in Metroid Prime (which was pretty fun).

Rogue Squadron III - It is used to give orders to your wingmen. I only used it once though because it was easier just to use the D-Pad on the GameCube controller.

Zelda: Wind Waker - The Tingle Tuner was cool but there didn't seem to be any point to it. Also Tingle is too annoying to be around for long periods of time.

Harvest Moon - This actually has real GBA-to-GameCube functionality. You can come go between the GBA and GameCube versions and actually do things that effect both games. Nothing too awesome, but still a fairly good use of the technology. I'm tempted to buy the GBA game for it.
RedlineM203 wrote:
What can be better then realistic?

I know. I'm tired of seeing Mario as a cartoony and overweight character of Nintendo's. I want to see him in how he'd really look! I konw he'd be hairier than they have him in the game.
RedlineM203 wrote:
SSJ2GohanDBGT wrote:

The gaming industry is made up of lots of parts, strong and weak.

Good point, and so is every industry. The movie industry, for instance - one of the few larger than the gaming industry is the same way. You have the theaters, where most of the large box offices come in. Home videos, where another good portion comes in. Then marketing airtime, where it ends up lastly. Many of these flop, many never make it to the "big times", and yet... the movie industry is still a multi billion dollar industry.

But what if nothing original comes along? The XBOX 360 has the graphics. The Wii has the controls. The PS3 just sucks.

Gaming has had it's generic parts since the invention of the industry. Especially the video game industry. Since the invention of pong, people have their controller(or the controls on the unit), can play versus a computer, but have interaction playing against another person. Everything that comes out isn't going to be completely original. Each company got their idea from somewhere. Nintendo didn't invent the "virtual reality" which seems to be a good portion of what the Wii emulates. It's been a concept and a work-in-progress for decades.

Now, putting them together seems a brilliant idea, but yeah, the Wii will fade like all else do, and unless the graphics can make serial killers turn into holy priests then I don't think its going to work. What can be better then realistic?

Oddly enough, everyone doesn't go to games for realism. It depends highly on the genre of the game. For instance, side-scrolling platformers don't try to simulate realism. I wouldn't -want- them to. On the other hand, first person shooters do. I tend to like realistic racing games over others. So like, while Need for Speed is quite generic to it's title, I still enjoy it more than Mario Kart. On the other hand, I like Mario more than I like Need for Speed. You'll find this among alot of people.

The gaming industry is nowhere even close to an end. The only thing I see getting smaller is the PC section, and that is saddening. I love my PC games =(
SSJ2GohanDBGT wrote:
The only thing I see getting smaller is the PC section, and that is saddening. I love my PC games =(

I'm like you now: What makes you think that?
50,000 people isn't all that small. I know its not much compared to the millions who actualy buy single games, but it's sure as hell alot bigger than 30 members of byond arguing. Some of the polls even reach 100,000 people.
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
Hey guys, it doesn't wear off.
In response to Z-warrior-Z
Yeah, 50,000 people isn't really that small... BYOND wouldn't be a good group to try to project onto a larger group, either. Most, if not all, of the people posting on this poll have developed a game and would have biases based on that.

Most of the people on GameFAQs would fit under the "hardcore gamer" and also be very zealous on a company they like, or dislike. There are a lot of gamers who aren't hardcore gamers, alot of gamers who aren't developers, and alot of gamers who go with whatever console they think is best this generation.

It's (kind of) like going to an AMD convention to promote AMD hardware and expecting the same results as taking AMD hardware to a general populous. That's what I was trying to explain =P
Easy. Wal-Marts PC game section went from one half isle to one shelf. Meanwhile, their console takes up an entire isle plus half of another.

Most game stores have one stand for PC games, while the rest of the store is dedicated to console and handheld gaming.

Also - you stink at being me.
Then saying 'Tell me what makes you think they're anywhere near coming to an end' stinks.
No, I was inquisitively asking your opinion on a subject. I didn't mean for you to take it negatively. I usually clearly state my opinion if it's a negative one, there's no doubting or thinking to it.

I just wanted to see how anyone could think the gaming industry is coming to an end when it's as strong as it is now, with no signs of faltering. Coincidently, I found out you really couldn't say. I'm not going to spam the forums anymore with pointless bickering. You can add me on MSN from my e-mail if you wish to continue.
SSJ2GohanDBGT wrote:
Easy. Wal-Marts PC game section went from one half isle to one shelf. Meanwhile, their console takes up an entire isle plus half of another.

Most game stores have one stand for PC games, while the rest of the store is dedicated to console and handheld gaming.

Wal-Mart, Target, etc. yes. But you also have to remember one thing. They may have 1 full aisle of video games for consoles, but in reality its an unbalanced comparison. It's not like its a full isle of Xbox360, Wii, or PS3 games, each actually only gets about 1/6th-1/8th of an aisle (Wal-mart/Target and such still carry Game Cube, Xbox, PS2, DS, PSP, etc.) Whereas compared to the PC which still tends to get half or more of an aisle for itself (and even usually gets a "hot item" shelf in the main aisle).

EB-Games and such DO tend to stock more on console games, but why? Most tend to be pre-owned. If you compare strictly new game sections, they are again about even, just their massive stock of used games brings in more profit for them than selling them new. In the case of PC-games, Pre-owned games tend to not work due to many games having cd-keys, most of which tend to be one-time only keys.
Page: 1 2 3 4