Reminder that Gi2W is officially half way over! Good luck, participants!
They're restrictions because creativity and fun come from restriction rather than freedom.
Rather than having people spend all their creative juices on playing around the theme, they instead can spend them all on making a fun game. But you still need a mechanism that prevents cheating, so here we are.
In response to Avainer1
From your screenshots it doesn't look like you're following any of the restrictions.
In response to Avainer1
Fugsnarf wrote:
From your screenshots it doesn't look like you're following any of the restrictions.

That's because they aren't his screenshots. They are dumps of the example screenshots from the free artpack he is using. Note the FPS counter in the bottom left corner. What BYOND game has an FPS of 60.1?

Avainer1 wrote:
Finally, after hours of searching for free art, I've found something that satisfies me!
Anyway, it is an isometric game that uses one of the themes- small window. That is due to me barley finding any art. Sounds shit, sorry! Anyway, it is turn-based, it has tanks, helicopters, air guns...soldiers?! I'll leave you with screeniez <3. Of course, I need to do more work.
Art: The Amazing, sexy, Vicki Wenderlich

Okay, I mean this with all due respect:

You just can't use someone else's screenshots like that. You even left an FPS icon in the bottom left corner.

You need to do a better job of pointing out that these screenshots aren't your game, but rather, examples of Vicki's art taken directly from her page.

You should also do a better job linking the artist's page, rather than re-uploading her images to tinypic. Right now, it looks like you are trying to fob these off as screenshots of your game that you built from her art.

http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/turn-wars.html

http://www.raywenderlich.com/12110/ how-to-make-a-turn-based-strategy-game-part-2

http://www.vickiwenderlich.com/page/3/

http://www.vickiwenderlich.com/2012/03/ free-game-art-tank-wars/
Again, *really* looking forward to these submissions. Once this contest is over, I'll definitely chip in another $100 into the next contest (if one is planned).
GiaD?
Gi2D?
I think we need a break from these contests...
I agree. Even a one month break, like there was after the GiaW, wasn't enough.
Too bad. The very exact moment this contest is done, I'm throwing up another one. GiTM ( game in thirty minutes ).

Deal with it.
In response to Writing A New One
One is definitely going to happen after this contest is over. I'll give it some downtime though to let people work on their actual projects.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:

I thought it had to be 320 long, and any width. Don't worry, I went back to the small screen even though it looks shit.
In response to Ter13
I can? I just wanted to show how the game will look like. It's a 100% free art. I credited her and everything. I've taken art from her and known her in-real life since 2006. Free art is free. Nothing restricts using her art. She did not ask for a link to her page, all she asked for was a mention. You can tell that if you spent more than 10 seconds on the website after googling the keywords here.
I think he was just complaining about the distinction between whether or not that's your game the pictures were from, and wasn't bitching about your use of public domain art.

The difference is that actual screenshots reflect upon progress on your game entry, and that it looks like you're being a Cyberlord when you're using other people's games' screenshots and implying that they're from your own game.
Here's a miniscreenshot!

Some of you guys might recognize this. ;)
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Here's a miniscreenshot!

Some of you guys might recognize this. ;)

Congrats on Winning Gi2w, good sir.
That looks VERY violent.
Update:

Just made a huge push this weekend, and I'm feeling that deadline looming pretty hard. Honestly, I'm starting to feel less and less optimistic about finishing my project by the deadline. Either way, I'm going to submit what I have, even if it's just a barely-playable demo.

What I got done this weekend:

Wrote a hitbox solver, and wrote some code that allows me to create circular bounding boxes for collision detection.

Rewrote a large chunk of my minecart code. The minecart now doesn't move on the grid anymore, and it looks a hell of a lot better on the track. I still haven't managed to sit down and actually draw a proper minecart of my own yet, so it's still not complete. I also haven't managed to allow the player to use his sword and items while inside of a minecart... That's going to have to come later.

Bombs work now, just wrote out the actual handler for those.
Also, bows and arrows work now. Wrote that out too around the same time.
The Gale Staff doesn't actually have graphics yet, but I'll push on that when I get to the third dungeon. I still have to do the water and ice graphics for the second dungeon, and I still only have two enemy graphics. The enemies still don't have proper AI yet either. The bats work fine, but the slimes need a total rewrite.

Enemies currently can't really attack either, they can bump into the player and hurt him, but they can't actually seek the player out and use attacks.

As for the bosses, I've got most of the placeholder stuff in place for them. I just don't have the graphics yet, and a lot of the boss mechanics are being hard-coded, so that will have to come at some point this week.

I also spent some time working on the menu UI, which still needs a lot of work overall.

Doors work now, and the rooms now constrain the camera to the edges of said room. Rooms can be larger than 20x15 as well, now.

I added item drops to the game, and death animations for the mobs. I'm pretty happy with how some of the animations for the game have shaped up. Particularly, the mob death animation makes me very happy, as well as when mobs/items fall into the pits.

I also spent some time drawing out the save crystals, which will be using my dialogue system I wrote earlier in the competition.

I also linked in the code for lifting/throwing things like bombs and pots. I just haven't made it so that the player can push things or jump yet.

So far, this game's combat system plays a lot like Casual Quest, just with a bit more polish.

Also, I've opted to drop the multiplayer aspects from my competition entry entirely. It's going to be a nuisance I don't have time for. I'll have to add it in after the contest.

There isn't a whole lot to show in the line of screenshots from this weekend's push, but I did want to share the sprite sheet I've had open since the 4th. I've been doing all my graphical work for this contest in paint in this one file.

From here, I've got four days left in the contest. I work until midnight (Eastern), so I'll have to submit it on Friday afternoon before I go to work. I wake up to work on the project around 8am every morning, until about 2pm. That means I have a total of about 6 hours a day to work on the project for the rest of the week.

That puts me at around 24 hours left total to put into my project. I'm really starting to wonder if I'll make it.

Anyway, I've got about four hours before I have to start getting ready for work. I need some sleep, as I've been awake too long.
I am going to enjoy playing the hell out of some of these games. The entries for GI2W look so much better than the GIAW entries thus far.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 17