ID:2923666

Operating System: Win11

What steps did you follow?
-Reset modem/router
-Cleared BYOND cache
-Reinstalled BYOND

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Network connection shutting down due to read error.
Connection failed after handshake.
Reconnecting in 10 seconds...

Started just on/around the 1st of May. (Before then I crashed almost..never)
This happens quite often now, maybe not even 10mins in between each crash.
It is not as if I am doing anything differently.
I don't really play any other games, so this is just on one BYOND game.

Is this purely my end? If so, what could've happened in the past 2-3 days that is causing this to happen so repetitively?

Any other probable solutions?

If you need more information, let me know. I tried to look around on the forum but didn't see much of anything regarding failed handshakes.
Shoot. I meant to include some extra diagnostic info on this in the 515.1637 update and it looks like that didn't make the cut.
In response to Lummox JR
Do you have any suggestions?
By any chance, are you living in Russia?
A user has mentioned experiencing this whenever they try to play a BYOND game

The error they get is "Connection failed after handshake. (code 0)"

BYOND version 515.1639

Faulting application name: Meranthe.exe, version: 3.6.515.1620, time stamp: 0x654ba758
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.19041.3636, time stamp: 0x1314b54f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004ccad
Faulting process id: 0x4b6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01da9d7c3d765993
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ChroniclesofMeranthe\Meranthe.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report Id: 7f8be56d-c8a7-4906-8a10-c2e777966db8
Faulting package full name:
I'm having the same problem, but in the game I'm playing online, I end up opening several different BYOND accounts at the same time to use some services, and I noticed that even though the error displayed is a handshake problem, other sessions don't drop (which shows me that it's not really a connection problem). Now I'm wondering how to fix it or if it's a problem related to BYOND.

PS: New account created recently
I'm having an issue where when i try and enter a specific SS13 server, in this case Monkestation, it gives me:
Connection failed before handshake. (code 2)
I've been playing SS13 for a year, and i encountered this for the first time, i have absolutely no idea what to do as i also asked on the official Monkestation discord server, but it seems that no one has responded to me for now, anyone got the same issue or a solution? [I do realize this isnt the place to ask, (maybe) but i want a solution.]
In response to LordGfus
Failure with code 2 means no socket was available when it was trying to complete the connection.

There are two main reasons I can think of for this:

1) The socket library wasn't allowed to open a socket at all.
2) The connect() call is producing an error that isn't handled.

Unfortunately #2 is a tricky case because I don't have any handling in place for grabbing the Winsock error code; the "code 2" displayed is an internal BYOND thing. So I need to add further handling for that, it looks like.

The fact that this only happens with a specific server, however, indicates it's likely that you have firewall or antivirus rules blocking your access to that IP address.
In response to VolAs
I am, and just encountered this specific error with the code 2, what does this have to do with the error?
Good afternoon. Can you please explain what "Connection failed before handshake. (code 1)" and "Connection failed during handshake. (code 1)" means? I'm trying to log into one server, and I get this error, although I could log in earlier.