Odd, I assume you were fully up to date Windows Update wise, before even attempting to do the upgrade to Win10?
Yeah, everything but an optional graphic card update that's never done anything but cause BSoD (the driver from my laptop manufacturer has always worked better), but I even downloaded that after the first failed attempt.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Yeah, everything but an optional graphic card update that's never done anything but cause BSoD (the driver from my laptop manufacturer has always worked better), but I even downloaded that after the first failed attempt.

Apparently this is all suppose to be "painless" :P
Nothing ever is for me, everyone I talk to is having no issues and here I am trying all day with no luck.
Try the ISO, boot from the USB you should have the upgrade option still .. see if that works when the OS isn't running?
Yeah, that's gonna be my next step tomorrow if this last attempt doesn't work. I wiped out the $Windows directories in C:\ this time around.
In response to Nadrew
Could it be this?
Nopers, locale is en-us, .NET is all working proper-like, disk cleanup has been utilized multiple times. I'm pretty close to not bothering with Windows 10 =P
im going to try and install it today. im only putting 10 on my laptop because i read you can't disable automatic updates with the free version, which is something ive done since i was knee high.

i cant wait to talk erotic to cortana, though. so glad windows implemented a virtual girlfriend this time. unlike an actual woman, cortana won't burn a hole in my pocket, she can't get pregnant, she'll do what i tell her to do when i tell her to do it, and she'll speak when spoken to. 10/10 would marry.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Nopers, locale is en-us, .NET is all working proper-like, disk cleanup has been utilized multiple times. I'm pretty close to not bothering with Windows 10 =P

Nadrew, this could be the same typical issue people get when the computers fail to install service packs properly. Sometimes ALL updates must be installed to move forward into an upgrade. Clear your %softwaredistribution% directory and check for updates. After that give it a whirl again.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
im going to try and install it today. im only putting 10 on my laptop because i read you can't disable automatic updates with the free version, which is something ive done since i was knee high.

i cant wait to talk erotic to cortana, though. so glad windows implemented a virtual girlfriend this time. unlike an actual woman, cortana won't burn a hole in my pocket, she can't get pregnant, she'll do what i tell her to do when i tell her to do it, and she'll speak when spoken to. 10/10 would marry.

I installed Windows 10, however I have not dug into the miniscule features and details, but I did see Cortina is a thing after reading a few articles. Which intimidates me that there is so much more to this operating system that it will take the full 10-15 years till end of life for one user to learn.
I read somewhere that in the near future they'll be adding a feature where Cortana can make you a ham and swiss panini. Looking forward to it.
In response to Ripper man5
Ripper man5 wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Nadrew, this could be the same typical issue people get when the computers fail to install service packs properly. Sometimes ALL updates must be installed to move forward into an upgrade. Clear your %softwaredistribution% directory and check for updates. After that give it a whirl again.

Tried that multiple times, after clearing them the check for updates process only finds the Windows 10 update (which fails to install). I've tried clearing the %Windows-BT and all that jazz too. Beginning to think it's something specific to the setup I'm using. Windows 10 isn't important enough to put much more effort into, if it's gonna keep failing to install I don't really trust the OS itself to function properly.
Windows 10 isn't important? On Microsoft's website, it says it's the "best windows ever". The Verge is calling it a "bright future". TechRadar gave it 4.5 stars out of 5. Clearly it's an important product.

My only qualm is that they changed the name of the browser from "Project Spartan" to "Microsoft Edge". That was like, the dumbest renaming ever. Project Spartan sounded so much cooler. When someone walks up to me and asks what browser I'm using, I want to be able to say "I'm using the all new, innovative, ground-breaking Project Spartan", not "Edge".
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Ripper man5 wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Tried that multiple times, after clearing them the check for updates process only finds the Windows 10 update (which fails to install). I've tried clearing the %Windows-BT and all that jazz too. Beginning to think it's something specific to the setup I'm using. Windows 10 isn't important enough to put much more effort into, if it's gonna keep failing to install I don't really trust the OS itself to function properly.

Nadrew, if we figure this out, it will be a good reference for others who are struggling.

Success!

What I ended up doing/discovering.

First I managed to find some obscure logs from the update failures that pointed me at some minor corruption in core Windows files (generally happens over time with some of them), so I ran the commands generally used to fix the issues by restoring the files either through online... but in an ironic twist, the process I used to partition my drive when I did the technical preview six months ago, renamed my recovery partitions to 'oem', so the tools weren't working, so I renamed them all back using diskpart and was able to fix most of the issues but some still held on so I used the 'refresh' option that my newly recovered recovery partition opened up.

The refresh option basically reinstalls the OS without deleting your personal files, you do end up losing your installed desktop programs (which sucks, but not as much as losing your files).

So I was rolled back to Windows 8 (without the 8.1 and all of the Windows Updates), but I didn't feel like going through all the updates just to switch to Win 10, so I made a USB drive with the setup on it, ran it and it went off without a hitch. So far so good, just gotta recover all my programs.
You guys are insane. I advise you all read this https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-persona l-data-abused/

The short version of it is, by installing Windows 10 you've sold your soul and privacy to Microsoft.
In response to The Magic Man
So if you don't want your computer to know who you are, disable Cortana.

I don't care enough about my "soul and privacy" though, and I trust Microsoft enough to not do anything stupid with it.

My only complaints so far are with Edge. It's missing a lot of features that Chrome got me used to.
we dont have privacy in america to begin with

therefore, installing.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6