ID:277058

Yeah I finally got one yesterday for my Pre-Calculus class but I remembered a previous post about programming on it. Ever since then, I've been making a GTA text based game and trying to get used to the many functions. This is one of those situations in which DM really helps out, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked up the language so quick. Inputting numbers to draw images is alot different from just making it and programming it, but I'll try and make more advanced games later. Anybody else do programming or whatnot on their $80+ super calculators? :D
My whole class in got them in 8th grade for the Regents next year, we were told they were required. I've never tried to program on it, but it doesn't look too foreign.
In response to Justin Knight
Justin Knight wrote:
They're mandatory in New York state.

I live in New York, and they're certainly not mandatory.
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
Anybody else do programming or whatnot on their $80+ super calculators? :D

Yeah, I make programs to do simple math problems so I can keep up with the more advanced stuff in class easier. For example, I made a program that lets you quickly input a bunch of term coefficients and it does synthetic polynomial division and outputs a table with the results. And I made one that will find the real, rational "zeros" of a polynomial.

That's about all I've done so far, not really much, but then I just got mine a week before my last math course was over.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Justin Knight wrote:
They're mandatory in New York state.

I live in New York, and they're certainly not mandatory.

Seconded. I've only know two people (Justin Knight being the second, the other someone from Ohio) who have ever said it was mandatory for them. That is rediculous, however, as it's certainly not necessary, and they aren't cheap.
In response to Loduwijk
I had most of the formulas programed into mine. It was a lot easier to type in X=45 Y=546 and have Z=4934 print out automatically(those numbers are random, not based on a real formula, in case anyone is checking).
Heh, I used to spend my whole study hall making games on it. It runs slow as heck though (Not too bad for text parsing, I suppose), and the way they handled networks makes me cry. I did manage to make some fun stuff. If I could ever get the computer to calculator connection working, I might post some of it.

Although Graphing Calculators weren't mandatory at my school, they were highly suggested and just about everyone I knew had them for Freshmen year. If you couldn't afford one, they would rent one to you.

I've got a TI-84 Plus :D
Less RAM, but much more Archive space.
In response to Loduwijk
It is not mandatory to have one in my school but it is highly recommended if you want to pass the test or even finish the test in the time limit.

->Calus CoRPS<-
In response to Calus CoRPS
Calus CoRPS wrote:
it is highly recommended if you want to pass the test or even finish the test in the time limit.

I've been doing just fine up through college without one. I just finally got one and I'm about to start calculus, though I probably won't even require it to pass that. It's only required to pass if you don't truely know what you're doing.
In response to Loduwijk
So true. We're not even allowed graphing calculators until we're pretty far in our studies. And even that's a new rule. It's certainly not needed in UK.
In response to DeathAwaitsU
'Tis required at my school.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Its required only if you make it to Intermediate&Advanced Algebra in my school in Washington(The state).
Oh and I just got the TI-89 Titanium from my dad(glad he paid for it)
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
At my old school if you took certian classes it was required. But unless you took those classes you didn't need to have them.

On another note, any of my teachers at my school, would randomly format TI calcs because they knew it was possible for people to use them to cheat.

I used to just play TI Mario on mine, but I knew a kid who had like his entire Science book archived on his calc and used it to cheat.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
On another note, any of my teachers at my school, would randomly format TI calcs because they knew it was possible for people to use them to cheat.

They formatted everyone's TI at the Math A Regents (A State Exam at the end of the year) and forgot to mention that formatting the TI resets the mode from "Degrees" to "Radians". I got a four point question wrong because my Trig functions were off.
In response to Airjoe
You should have complained about it and demanded they correct their mistake.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Shades wrote:

They formatted everyone's TI at the Math A Regents (A State Exam at the end of the year) and forgot to mention that formatting the TI resets the mode from "Degrees" to "Radians". I got a four point question wrong because my Trig functions were off.

That's what you get for relying on your calculator too much:P
In response to Jerico2day
That's what you get for relying on your calculator too much:P

For TRIGONOMETRY? Sorry, I can't do Sin, Cos, and Tan in my head.
In response to Airjoe
All the cool mathematicians use a slide rule for trigonometry.
In response to DeathAwaitsU
Pff, all I need is an abacus
In response to Jerico2day
A calculator is a tool like anything else. Thats like saying someone relys too much on using a hammer to nail something together or a saw to cut something in half.

Much of the math taught in my high school I would never use in the real world, but they felt the need to teach it anyways.

In all honesty you needed a calculator in most of the math classes at my high school or you would have a much harder time and while they didn't say you have to have a calculator, it was highly suggested.

Why make something you can't use right?
Page: 1 2