In response to Koil
What is wrong with you people? Yeah lets sit here and BLAME THE MEDIA. Why not? Its the easy way to do it, instead of taking some responsibility for our own actions.

Games are already rated and described accurately enough as it is already. And with state laws being in effect, any vendor can be in a lot of trouble for selling a under aged kid a game that does not have a appropriate rating for their age.

I am 21 years old and have a full beard, and yet my EBgames and WalMart still asks me for some valid ID. And if I can't provide it, the MACHINE ITSELF will not sell the game.

It is not the vendors fault and it is not the Medias' fault that todays children act like stupid morons.

The fact is, there are MANY SAFETY MEASURES IN EFFECT that can help a GOOD parent from monitoring what their children play and watch.

Since the early 1990's TV sets have been having V-Chips installed in their systems. All a parent has to do, is adjust the settings and their kids wouldn't be watching stuff like Jack Ass or Bevis and Butthead.

And now not only do DVD players have V-Chips, but so do home video game systems, that can prevent a child from plaing mature rated games or vidoes on their PS2, Xbox or even their Gamecube. Yes there are precautions on these systems.

Once again, it is completely up to the parents what their children watch, play and see. It takes 20 seconds to set up a V-Chip on their TV, DVD Player or Game System.

Where do you think these kids get their games? If you are 8 or 10 years old, you can't just waltz into any store and buy a Teen, Mature or Adult rated game. These kids are getting these games from parents, brothers and sisters and other relatives who should be acting more responsible to begin with.

Like that Grandmother who bought her grandson GTA III and it was one of the orginal prints that had the Hot Coffee mod on it. She found out what happened and last time I read, was trying to pend a law suit with Rare! UH WHAT?!

The grandson was 8 years old, the game IS RATED T FOR TEEN and it accuratly describes what the game play is. Not to mention that the game is well known for drugs, car theft, police beating and prostitution.

The Media has done all it can to help protect not only our nations youth, but all of the stupid people who have things they shouldn't to begin with.

It isn't the Media's responsibility once it leaves that store and I am sick and tired how people are acting like, these compaines should be bascilly deciding everything for everyone. I supposed we should all get our own Nintendo, Sony and Microsfot rep and have them follow us around and tell us when we should and shouldn't buy a game and if it is ok for our children, because as adults we obiously can't make these kinds of decisions on our own.
In response to Dick Gumshoe
No, it is because Nintendo is not only good at delivering good, fun and entertaining games while constantly supply innovation, but because they can bring to the table what their audience demands.

Nintendo has their share of Children and Adult rated games, so don't even go there.
In response to Shades
I know, I was being sarcastic.

Nintendo is my favorite company and they usually dominate the market, and only a handful of games for each system are rated M. They're one of the best, which proves that more gamers thrive for good games, not nudity/violence.
In response to Carved in Shadows
Just like the whole mod of people who started jumping on turtles and trying to fit in their plumbing when Super Mario came out.
In response to Shades
My father has taken me to tons of movies over the years.
(my parents are divorced, so when my dad picks me up we usually go to the movies.)
A lot of them have been violent, scary, etc.
While I really don't care a lot about kids playing M games, I personally have some serious paranoia issues. Not just a small problem, I am seriously afraid to do things in my own home. I sometimes get too afraid to go downstairs to get a damn drink. Mental issues suck. =(
In response to Shades
The point I'm trying to get accross isnt that I blame the media for our problems, I'm trying to get at this: If the parents made it so that their kids cant play mature games... there isnt very many good games left to play! That's why I'm getting pissed at developers, they have to start thinking about the people video games originaly were created for.
In response to Dick Gumshoe
thank you! That's what I've been wanting to hear since I started this topic, there are better ways to make money then making mature games full of gore and nudity!
In response to Koil
Sex and nudity: $$$
Bunnies: out of business.

what is this suppost to mean? The only way to make money is sex and nudity? That is about as far from the truth as it gets... who says the other option is bunnies? There are plenty ways to make money without this kind of unnessary crap
They're going to make whatever sells.

If violence and such sells, then they're going to make that type of game. If bunnies sell, then they're going to make a game with bunnies.

They won't make a "safe" "happy" game just because some people feel its innapropriate to have violence in games.

I never said it would only be bunnies. I was using that as an example.
yo dude sign on to ur MSN so i cna talk to u?did u finish the icon?
Not really. Most games that sell have violence in them. Hell, even Pokemon is violent and it's a childrens game. Only non-violent games that probably ever sell are the games designed specifically for little girls like this Dora the Explorer game I saw my cousin with. Final Fantasy, The Elder Scrolls, Warcraft, Diablo, Sims, Madden, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Splinter Cell, and many other games all have violence in them even if it is just simply tackling another player or burning to death. The only other games that sell are racing games which are starting to become inappropriate for children because they like to crash into eachother and smash up the cars and such.

Do you want the game developers to create a field of flowers where you go around, pick them, and smell them for you? If not, then why even bother arguing about this then unless you want one?

-Exophus
In response to Exophus
Exophus wrote:
Not really. Most games that sell have violence in them. Hell, even Pokemon is violent and it's a childrens game. The only other games that sell are racing games which are starting to become inappropriate for children because they like to crash into eachother and smash up the cars and such.

Erm that is consider voilent driving. I mean come on people are dying from these crashes!
I believe kids play Rated M games is because those games happen to have the most fun games.
In response to Crzylme
and that's the problem... they should make fun games for kids so that dosent happen
In response to Exophus
I didnt mean that, I ment gore and nudity and such (I changed it, thanks)
What are you trying to get across then? Because unless you live under a stone and are completely ignorant there are NOT JUST MATURE games on the market.

I have tons of games laying around that are rated everyone and are highly enjoyable. Your argument loses any ground it had if thats what you were baseing it entirely on.

You are sitting here and acting like they are cramming adult games into our hands and forcing us to buy them and that isn't the case at all.

There are plenty of games that are 100% accetable for children.
In response to Shades
but their not as good and dont get near as much attention as mature rated games... also I sayed: "there's not very many good games left to play. Not none at all
Better ways to make money? You do realize that a Nintendo game with Mario and that cast of characters in it costs the same as one of those mature rated games (at least when they first release, on the last gen consoles). It's not a better way to make money, just a different way.

People don't just buy games because they have nudity or violence, and if they do they're complete idiots. I play games like GTA because they are fun. I could give a rat's ass about the Hot Coffee Mod. If a game is fun, I won't play it. If a game is fun, I will play it. I don't care if it has fairies and bunnies or strip clubs and assault rifles.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Better ways to make money? You do realize that a Nintendo game with Mario and that cast of characters in it costs the same as one of those mature rated games (at least when they first release, on the last gen consoles). It's not a better way to make money, just a different way.

People don't just buy games because they have nudity or violence, and if they do they're complete idiots.

What about people who buy those weird manga games :P

I reckon that most people wont play a game considered a kids game purely because somehow it will hurt their already overinflated ego.

Anyway I play a variety of games and a fair amount of the cater for all ages while a fair amount dont. Kids normally buy M rated games because they are the ones that are the best made because game developers know that violent games sell the most so they make them more.
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
violent driving

-Exophus
Page: 1 2 3 4