ID:274863

here is a brief example of the commercial.

Its this girl with black hair in a plain white house, saying "I'd rather die than see the ring"... and she is in a house in front of a mirror combing her hair, than she jumps off a cliff and it goes to static. There are constant flashes of a burning tree, Its in a pretty spooky format.

Has anyone seen this? and if so, what is it for?!?

Please reply.
I'm not sure either, but I have been having nightmares about it =/. Damn big centipede keeps freaking me out, first I thought I was going crazy when I saw it though. I think it has something to do with Ring of Fire? I'm not quite tuned to the game or whatever it is so I'm not sure....

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
Well, i think that commercial is releasing the wrong kind of impression on people. If they were trying to play that in Canada they would have to pay a hell of alot of money
Dragoon Dart wrote:
here is a brief example of the commercial.

Its this girl with black hair in a plain white house, saying "I'd rather die than see the ring"... and she is in a house in front of a mirror combing her hair, than she jumps off a cliff and it goes to static. There are constant flashes of a burning tree, Its in a pretty spooky format.

Has anyone seen this? and if so, what is it for?!?

I haven't seen such an ad on TV, but I did see the movie trailer.
This is a movie called "The Ring", and it's apparently a remake of a fairly well-known Japanese film (which is actually a series of films, since there are, I believe, a couple of sequels). But that's really all I know about it.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I haven't seen such an ad on TV, but I did see the movie trailer.
This is a movie called "The Ring", and it's apparently a remake of a fairly well-known Japanese film (which is actually a series of films, since there are, I believe, a couple of sequels). But that's really all I know about it.

Lummox JR

I've seen it. Its an odd movie, the japenese having a different style and all. Despite the cultural difference(and the fact that its not translated, for better or worse) I think its an odd but well made movie. The sequel has just been announced in Denmark, so apparently someone here liked it besides me.

Alathon\\
http://www.ring-themovie.com/ Its kinda like what I see when I close my eyes... freaky eh?
In response to Alathon
Can you tell me what it's about, it's intrigueing and making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime I see the commercial.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
that site is really scarey because of those crazy sounds
In response to Kusanagi
"The ring" is about this movie that if people watch it they die after 7 days of seeing it and this girls kid watchs it and then she trys to save him or somthing i wanna see it =p
In response to Jacro
wow, the movie must be very boring to make people die after 7 days
In response to Kusanagi
Ive watched this commercial about 4 times now, and up until the last time It scared the bejesus outta me. But the fourth time I taped it (Before this thread revealed what it was about and such) so I could look for it's point and such, and damn. That commercial has way too many subliminal images.

One for example, when the girl is combing her hair, it flashes really quick and there is a picture of a dead guy or something in the mirror.

This was prolly the reason that it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand. Its like you know you saw something and have a brief picture of it, but have no clue what or where it was. I always thought this was outlawed.

--ken--
In response to NeoHaxor
it is

but only in some countries
In response to Dareb
And I believe it's only illegal if it's trying to tell you to do something... Like the words "Go buy popcorn" in a movie are illegal...

But simple images that aren't trying to force you to do something (aside from creeping you out) aren't a problem...
In response to NeoHaxor
Not outlawed so much as completley and thoroughly debunked. Do you know what actually happens when you see an image too quickly for you to process? NOTHING. You haven't even seen it... no part of your mind has, because if it did, it would have to have got it from your visual memory, and it obviously doesn't have that information or you'd know what you have seen. If anything, your "subconscious" processes things slower.

Did know Simpsons episodes have single frame messages that say things like "Why Aren't You Watching Mad About You?" Do you know how many people, in the history of television, have turned off Simpsons to watch syndicated reruns of Paul Reiser?

That's right. Exactly 0.

Do you think a network would let their animators put in "advertisements" for the competition if there was any chance it would work? The "Go Buy Popcorn" thing comes from a theater owner who claimed he'd done it to boost his popcorn sales, but it was a publicity gimmick... he later admitted he had not added any messages. All tests on subliminal messages has shown that they don't do anything. If something happens to quickly for you to see it, then you don't see it.

Repetitions of phrases and images can achieve a psychological effect, but only if they happen on a level the subject can process.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
if its an actual commercial. and they are showing pictures of dead bodies and suicide.. think about the kids..

In response to Lesbian Assassin
if you see something traumatic but cant remember what it was. are you still traumatized? and if not.

Whats the problem with people with phobias?

ok.. now your debunked and the visual memory thing is disproved.. now back to why subliminal messages DO work. :D
In response to Dareb
They dont show it until late night, and only on channels that adults may watch, such as news channel 13 (NBC) or Comedy Central. But I have yet to see it displayed on Cartoon Network, (Im doubting Nickelodean), and any other channels that may partain to children. But after seeing these commercials I am entrigued, not because it creeps me out but because I wish to see the plot, how it developes, and the reference given by the commercial.

--That corpse part still makes the hair stand on the back of my neck--

--Ken--

Side Note-> and L.A, Subliminal images do work, towards me at least. They dont convince me to do anything. But that part with the quick flash and the image of the corpse for a split second seems to make everyone creeped. And its funny, seeing that the commercial itself really isnt that scary aside from that part. And I would like to know how, if subliminal images do not work, that a majority of the observers are spooked by a girl combing her hair?
If you can explain this to me then I will be a follower of your counter-theory.
In response to Dareb
No, I'm not debunked... you're talking about something you saw but no longer remember clearly. I'm talking about something you didn't see to begin with.

A trauma that you black out is completely different. In that case, the traumatic event (usually something ongoing, not momentary) passes through your visual memory, into your short term memory, then into your long term memory, which is very subjective and prone to being edited by one's own mind.

Most phobia-inducing traumas that aren't remembered, by the way, aren't repressed memories... they just happen too early in life for the memories to be clear. The modifications to behavior the trauma causes (the phobia) doesn't rely on the strength of the original memory.

A single image that moves too quickly for your eye to pick up, though... well... there's no way that can affect you. You might as well say that if there's a scary picture in a dark alley in Paris, it's responsible for the chills running down the spine of people in Tokyo. It's like saying a bullet can miss you and kill you.

If you don't see something, you don't see it.
In response to NeoHaxor
I haven't seen the commercial, but in reality, it's not hard to creep people out. A little girl with big eyes staring off to space, with appropriately spooky music, will creep everyone out.

You have snatches of ominous conversation and suitably spooky music that lets you know this is a horror-related commercial, and you will creep out, if only because you're waiting for the horror to happen. If the shower scene in Psycho didn't end in a stabbing, but was otherwise identical, it would still have the same tension in it, it would still build audiences up to the point that they're ready to scream.

What's so freaky about a commercial that shows a girl just combing her hair? It's a commercial... and it shows a girl combing her hair. Your TV-trained mind -knows- there's got to be something big coming, some kind of pay off. It's preparing you for the climax. Without any (noticeable) climax to give you release, you just feel creeped out.

Also, I don't think the image is a subliminal message, I think it's a liminal one, so to speak. They're showing scenes from the movie, right? I don't think the corpse was inserted to make the commercial spooky... I think that's part of the movie, a plot device... probably one of those subtle things, like the scenes in a slasher movie where the killer's lurking in the background.

Example: in the first Scream movie, when they're in the store, you see Ghostface reflected in the freezer door. It's quick, most people won't see it... but it lasts more than one frame, and it's not a subliminal message. I'd bet anything your corpse image IS visible to the naked eye, if you know what to look for. And since you're so invested in the subliminal message theory, I can't take your word for it that it's not, I'll have to look carefully myself the first time I see that commercial.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Well said, It seems I was mistaken with my judgement upon the presentation of the image, but I agree with you. It seems we were arguing two different opinions (Opinions are poor base to argue) thus it kinda got muted in a sense on my side by the realization of the pre-post.

And I hope you do see the commercial, I guarantee you will be thinking about it for days/weeks on end. It really is a good commercial, although it looks to be a poor setup, it fulfills it's purpose.

--ken--

P.S: Dont mind Dareb, arguing with him just brings him bliss.
Page: 1 2 3 4