I was looking for a game creation kit that would be more fun to work with than, say, C++ or Java, but that would still be deep enough to write non-trivial games. After a couple hours of mucking around with search engines and looking at one dubious system after another, I found a dark little abandoned page with about four links on it, and one of them led to dantom.com.

Oddly enough, it was at least a couple months later when I first played a BYOND multiplayer game... back then, there was hardly ever anyone online. Now there are people around 24 hours a day (give or take an hour).
I was desperate for an online game to play with some of my friends after we got tired of Dark Ages Online. (Some of the DBZ games here puts that game to shame :/ I still play it time to time just to share time with friends.) I spent hours searching through sites like Online Games library and BetaBytes for online games and the BYOND site was in one of the lists. After reading through it, I thought it was worth bookmarking to look at later, but it had no readily playable so I forgot about it.

About 7 months later, once again frustrated with Dark Ages and waiting in vain for Dawn, I found BYOND buried in my bookmarks. This time around, I took my time and looked closely at the language. It really impressed me, so I stuck around. :)

I think it helped a lot that SpaceTug was out at that time. I enjoyed the puzzle type games, but they didn't capture my imagination the way that poor depresurized cat did.
Air _King wrote:
How did you? I heard about it from The Mud Connecter (www.mudconnect.com)

What I posted before was a joke the real thing is:

I was messing around with RPGMaker 95 one day and I was looking for something that worked better and I can across BYOND on a search engine (In Febuary I think) and I looked at the page and didn't think to much of it. A few months later I wanted to make a game again and I remembered BYOND and this time around I downloaded it and havn't left since.
I don't remember how I found it! It bugs me... I simply can't. Now, I'm telling lots of my friends about it.
I heard from the Mud Connector, was looking for something to create games.
I'm not sure where I heard about it.

I remember two things.

A) I might have found it at www.oglibrary.com

B) I might have found it by typing ' +free +online +"game maker" ' in a search engine.

Not sure which one I used, since that was well over two years ago.
Gughunter wrote:

<>

That's almost my experience to a T as well. I was searching for a system that would let me create the MUD I wanted, and I distinctly remember a dark little abandoned page with about four links on it. I downloaded DUNG, as it was then, and I liked it but I was frantic since I didn't know it was capable of producing text MUDs. Tom and Dan cleared me up on that and I've been here ever since. There were only a few finished games back then, the racing one and the city building one and a taste of DUNG, and chess, I think.

The first thing I did was test out some things in a little world, I spent hours making an animated walking person icon and some rocks (which you'll be able to see whenever I get around to re-releasing the original Sheep). The second thing was to start on Cerulea, a massive project. It didn't occur to me that I shouldn't start out with a massive project. Never entered my mind.

Z
I found a big website full of game creation systems of all sorts, clicked on DUNG right away, looked at screenshots, downloaded a quick demo, declared it was a stupid graphics mud maker and didn't want to have anything to do with it because I wanted text muds, darnit! Passed over the DUNG link on that page about 50 more times. About a year later I came back to see if I'd overlooked something (I still hadn't found anything a year later) and noticed a little link on the info page about creating text muds, and thought "oooohhh", decided it looked kinda simple, tried making a text mud, ended up in obvious failure (some of you remember, I'm sure), attempted to go through dantom's starter stuff but failed, got led to the ZBT tutorial which was much better, and after I figured out what was going on that quickly lead to the Experimentor project, which turned out to be an epic of sorts, if you can call that an epic :oP It had it's fans... But now look, I've gone and gotten sidetracked. Guess I have nothing else to say. Darnit, is it 1am again??
In response to Zilal
See? It's the same with me. It never entered my mind to start small... I jumped right into somthing big, and learned tons from it!
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
See? It's the same with me. It never entered my mind to start small... I jumped right into somthing big, and learned tons from it!

I got here from a website (possibly connected to MUD connector), and also started with a big project....

That was a mistake, but in the process I did learn more about the plumbing of BYOND than I might have otherwise, while I did NOT learn about the game aspect of "game design" because I wasn't getting games out and experiencing people playing them.

Now after another long period of dealing with plumbing, the DDT is about to get pretty darn productive in getting actual games out...
In response to Greener Pastures
Greener Pastures wrote:
I heard from a guy at school.

Hey wow, I also heard about it from some guy at school.
In response to Deadron
Now after another long period of dealing with plumbing

And trench-digging.
In response to Spuzzum
And road paving?
In response to Lord of Water
I'm not sure if starting off with a great big project is something I'd recommend... in fact, in my tutorial, I prudently recommend against it... but in my case I don't think it led to anything particularly bad. It's true, I am having to rewrite most of Cerulea now (which is around 12,000 lines of code), but I think I would have ended up doing that no matter what. Not only experience with BYOND but experience with the innards of a sophisticated MUD could have given me these reformed ideas about what I have to accomplish and how I have to do it, and the only way for me to get the latter was through my work with Cerulea.

Which, by the way, I am finally back to really working on. Reforming the character creation system at the moment so that it doesn't use prompts.

Z
I was looking for a system on the search engines that I could use to create a small nifty game for a website I'm building. After bookmarking the site, I stopped back quite a few times, and ended up getting sucked into (gulp) DBGT:Genesis (which I am in the process of creating a website for, seeing as how Dracon's is no longer up... I think cjb.com bit the dust) Anywayz, After pulling my battered brain outta the DBZ world, I decided to give creation a shot and hit the Tutorials, references, FAQ, libraries, whatever I could get my hands on to learn the ropes. Well, after creating the Testworld using the ZBT tutorial, I finally got a grip on things and am well underway to diving into my first game. It's an epic one I can assure you, but I am going through with it wisely (I hope) and if all goes as planned I should be cranking out the beta soon after the graphics are complete. Check out the background story in the Creations forum for an idea of what I'm trying to deal with here...
In response to Zilal
Which, by the way, I am finally back to really working on.

Woo! And, moreover, hoo!
Foomer. I had to download it because he wanted me to see his games. :o)

<FONT COLOR=#FF00FF>Ashi!</FONT>
In response to Ashianna
Foomer. I had to download it because he wanted me to see his games. :o)

What a jerk, huh? ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
Quiet, you.
In response to Bonzi
I heard about BYOND from a friend when he was searching for a new location to establish a Pokemon RPG on some virtual game world or something, hhehehe unfortunately he was too obsessed with RPing on AOL when the "amazing feeling" of graphic RPGs stole my mind's attention. Note: When I left the AOL RPG Scene (somewhat pokemon related) that a huge Assassination Syndicate went *blows rasberry* when its leader left to enjoy the fun of killing priest on a game that was once the great House of Morte.
Page: 1 2 3