ID:194970

I made this image ages ago as part of one of the first settings for my Nostalgia project. I put together the image in different stages, thinking I would make a blog post exploring how to make such images, but I could never really think of what to write. Perhaps some other artists may find the image educational.

1. First I block out the basic shape of the object, getting my geometry right.
  2. Next I decide what features I want in the finished image, such as doors, door knobs, and feet. I also apply a woodgrain to the surfaces by rotating a texture which I drew on paper and scanned; various surface textures can be found online, though.
  3. I finish off the details of the various features, such as the door knobs, hinges, and the thickness of the doors. I then shade the piece and experiment with various colors pallets, looking for one which best highlights the woodgrain and shading.
  4. I decide on a final pallet and do some pixel by pixel touch-up to trouble areas.
Heh, Sexy. :D

I would use soft outlines instead of solid black ones, but that might ruin the style and the palette. x_x
Wow. Impressive wood grain texture for such a small sprite, Iain. Neat technique.
Now, how could I con you into doing a longer tutorial on the texture technique you're using there?
yeah, I agree with darke saber a little. the black is fine, its just the edges are grainy. i'd either try anti-aliasing with one of the wood palette's subcolors or just make the outlining less black.

otherwise, it's really nice.